The GeoWoodstock VIII coin

Shop99er

Would you like to design the GeoWoodstock VIII coin?

We hope you would like to because we’re opening up the design to everyone who wants to give it a try.

PLEASE DON’T POST ANY IMAGERY ON THIS THREAD!!

The thread Moderators will be asked to delete any images that are posted to this thread. We want this to be kept a secret!

Design a coin, front and back, and let your imagination run wild. Please include all pertinent information about the coin you’ve designed. We need to know what size it is, what metals are used, is it 3D or 2D, enamel colors, any special attributes, etc. Please include Pantone chart numbers for enamels, glitters and glow in the dark. If you need help you can find a Pantone color chart here:

Make it round or make it any shape you want. Just make it unique!

Here are the basic guidelines you need to follow for your submissions.

DO NOT POST ANY IMAGERY ON THIS THREAD!!

Submit your designs to: shop99er@prodigy.com

Subject Line: GeoWoodstock Coin Design

Please include, on your submissions:

~Your caching name if you have one

~Your real name (first and last)

~Your email

~Designs need to be in jpg or gif format

~Images should be no larger than 500kb (that’s front image 500kb, back image 500kb)

~Designs must be submitted by September 30th, 2009.

~Trackable at Geocaching.com or Track at Geocaching.com must appear on the coin

~There does need to be a space available to etch tracking numbers so please incorporate that into your design.

~Submit as many designs as you like.

~GeoWoodstock VIII, 2010 and Carnation, WA should be incorporated into the design.

All submissions will become property of COWWS until July 3, 2010.

There will be one design picked to be come the official GeoWoodstock VIII coin

Winner will not be notified until the coin is made public.

Design winner will receive 12 limited/artist edition coins for their efforts.

I like your idea here, the concept of opening a design to the whole forum,,, but imo 12 coins is not very many, unless they would to be a .925 silver, or a real gold run... anyone can submit designs to companys and if they like it will get at least twice that, if you make a run of 250 coins, 12 coins is not many. Mabie you can up the number a bit?? To say 20,or 25? Again I like the idea behind this and am not knocking you,its just the first thing that came to mind. The users of this forum would probably do it for free,, but 20 coins would make them feel really good when they got them,after a good 6 months+ of waiting. Goodluck to all who enter.

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

I like your idea here, the concept of opening a design to the whole forum,,, but imo 12 coins is not very many, unless they would to be a .925 silver, or a real gold run... anyone can submit designs to companys and if they like it will get at least twice that, if you make a run of 250 coins, 12 coins is not many. Mabie you can up the number a bit?? To say 20,or 25? Again I like the idea behind this and am not knocking you,its just the first thing that came to mind. Goodluck to all who enter.

I'd have to agree with that. It roughly equals $120 to the artist for designing the coin? That's a pretty small fee if you ask me, and to the minters the actual cost will be far less than that? I might consider that fair payment for a concept and rough draft, but if you're asking for final artwork...IDK. However, if it's a vendor/commercial artist, and they get promation from the deal as well, then that's another form of compensation. Of courst the only opinion that really matters on the subject will be those who choose to offer submissions. I feel for the ones who do all the work, and then are not chosen. Do they get anything at all for viable submissions if not chosen? Maybe even a spot in a drawing? I'd hate to spend all that work just to have no return on the time.

I would be happy to get one if it was used.

Most designers charge 50 to 100 to do a design a coin so this is way more then anyone should expect.

I think to have the privilege of being able to design it should be reward enough.

Thanks for giving us all a very rare chance to design a Geocoin that is a once in a lifetime chance to do so.

Now what to do HUMMMMM

I was going to sort of echo River Cacher, but my words aren't eloquent. But my thought process was, the COWWS offered 12 AE coins to design the GWVIII geocoin. If you don't like that offer, buzz off. If you do, submit a design and roll with it. It's not a debate on how much artists make, or should make, or wanna make.

On that note, you'll not be getting a design from me. Why? Well it's not because you were only gonna pay me 12 coins. It's cuz I'm as creative as a paper bag :anibad:

TMA

I was going to sort of echo River Cacher, but my words aren't eloquent. But my thought process was, the COWWS offered 12 AE coins to design the GWVIII geocoin. If you don't like that offer, buzz off. If you do, submit a design and roll with it. It's not a debate on how much artists make, or should make, or wanna make.

On that note, you'll not be getting a design from me. Why? Well it's not because you were only gonna pay me 12 coins. It's cuz I'm as creative as a paper bag :anibad:

TMA

How do I explain...

I guess ill be

Buzzing off... as I have got about 60 coins per design thus far..granted production numbers were higher but Id like to design my own coins and feel like it was worth it, if you figure a 250 coin run will bring in about $2500 min minus cost of production leaves around 1500, so 12 coins to me is nott that much for my many hrs of design probably 40 hrs plus per design, I take a lot of pride in my designs as most do, id like to feel like it was worth my time,,what is 40 hrs+ of your time woth to you tma? That's just my opinion, I wasent tring to step on anyones toes, or debate what someone should be paid all I was saying is 12 coins dosent seem like much for the profits the design will bring in. What's another 8 coins to make someone feel like it was worth their efforts. Again that's my opinion. Theirs no need to bash me, as I have said there are some who will do it for free. And as you have said theirs no debate.

but imo 12 coins is not very many, unless they would to be a .925 silver, or a real gold run... anyone can submit designs to companys and if they like it will get at least twice that, if you make a run of 250 coins, 12 coins is not many. To say 20,or 25? Again I like the idea behind this and am not knocking you, its just the first thing that came to mind.

I'd have to agree with that. It roughly equals $120 to the artist for designing the coin? That's a pretty small fee if you ask me, and to the minters the actual cost will be far less than that? I might consider that fair payment for a concept and rough draft, but if you're asking for final artwork...IDK. However, if it's a vendor/commercial artist, and they get promation from the deal as well, then that's another form of compensation.

I disagree with this, I think you have to look at the situation. The event staff has to foot the bill for the largest event in the world, there are probably some limitations and restrictions that go along with that. I believe this is different than running just another commercial coin through the ringer... maybe some people don't see a distinction, but I do.

Second, we all know there is a secondary market for AE's, since I see the tribal flower AE's selling for $50 on ebay, therefore those 12 coins and the design have a market of closer to $600 :anibad: Which I believe is a fair price for any design work of 4 hours = $150 an hour... not too shabby. B)

Do they get anything at all for viable submissions if not chosen?

The coin can still be adapted and made if it's a good concept. Case in point, the Geocoinfest Multi events had two stellar designs, the mosaic one by Landsharkz won. So CinemaBoxers went forward and minted their coin and it became the Geocoin Collecting coin.

I like the idea that this is open to everyone. So often a design artist is already chosen for these large events and no one else gets a shot a designing for a Mega.

As long as drawings are accepted, I'm going to see what I can come up with :anibad:

Regarding the amount of artist edition coins given, granted it isn't much but looking at the big picture, it's a chance to try and "score" a Mega as a designer which I know I've never been given a shot at. I consider it an honor and a challenge to try and compete with the likes of Mackey and Yime. Like avroair said, if someone is concerned about the monetary value there is always ebay.

Crossing my fingers that I can come up with a design or 2 that would be considered worthy!

Here's a 'bunched reply' to the posts above.

It is our understanding that $150 is an average price for a coin to be designed. Given that an coin would sell for $12 to $15 each we thought that 12 coins would equal an average design price.

The coin designs don't have to be camera ready art. If you can get your concept down on paper and send that to us, that's good enough. We're not looking for artistic perfection. We're looking for fresh ideas. Please don't think that because you 'can't draw a straight line' that you can't submit your ideas. I promise you that all submissions will be give the same respect and consideration.

Sorry for not including that link for the Pantone Chart. Here's one: PANTONE CHART

Stay tuned for an update on the "All submissions will become property of COWWS until July 3, 2010" rule. We are having a COWWS meeting on the 9th and we will discuss that point.

And yes, putting on an event of this size is a financial nightmare. When the COWWS were selected to host GeoWoodstock 8 it came with no starting money and no general budget. We are being very careful with every dollar and dime we get. We would love to have a budget big enough to buy what ever takes our fancy but we don't.

I like the idea that this is open to everyone. So often a design artist is already chosen for these large events and no one else gets a shot a designing for a Mega.

As long as drawings are accepted, I'm going to see what I can come up with :anibad:

Regarding the amount of artist edition coins given, granted it isn't much but looking at the big picture, it's a chance to try and "score" a Mega as a designer which I know I've never been given a shot at. I consider it an honor and a challenge to try and compete with the likes of Mackey and Yime. Like avroair said, if someone is concerned about the monetary value there is always ebay.

Crossing my fingers that I can come up with a design or 2 that would be considered worthy!

Again it was not my intention to have a huge debate over whats being paid, I know I have been lucky to get so many coins for my designs, and is not a normal pay out, from my reaserch 20 coins is about right for a design, or cash is a lowered value because it not coins.. It was my opinion, not a fact, but I got a bit fired up from tmas comments .and that's my bad again it was an opinion, not a key for debate

As long as drawings are accepted, I'm going to see what I can come up with B)

Again it was not my intention to have a huge debate over whats being paid, I know I have been lucky to get so many coins for my designs, and is not a normal pay out, from my reaserch 20 coins is about right for a design, or cash is a lowered value because it not coins.. It was my opinion, not a fact, but I got a bit fired up from tmas comments .and that's my bad again it was an opinion, not a key for debate

Whoa.... I wasn't debating you. Everyone here is entitled to their thoughts :blink: Please don't take offense at my post, I was just rambling mine (thoughts), not intended to point fingers. I'm just thrilled to get an opportunity to get in on something MEGA :blink: If you're interested throw your hat in the ring if you're not, 1 less person for me to have to worry about :anibad:

Ohh no tsun,,im sorry,,im replying from my phone, life is a bit crazy for me tonight,, I never put the reason I quoted your post,, .. The reason is,,

I've only been around for a lil over a year, and maybe I don't understand the big deal about this event,as you said a mega,,I've never been to one, if you get permotion from the design that is a form of payment,,again in my opinion..

Sorry I did not mean to come across as you were to debate me.

I've gotten a few emails about this and feel like my post was tooken the wrong way, so I went off on that and forgot that I had quoted your post.

Shop99er , I apoligise, I don't know much about events or megas or costs of that, I just thought 20 coins was an average for a design. Nuff said , it was my opinion, and I still like the idea. I don't enjoy being told to buzz off,and probably overreacted, I stand corrected!

I guess from the reading starting post I misunderstood what was expected in a submission. I was thinking that you were asking for artwork ready to forward to the mint. I guess you're not requiring such a detailed design. That changes my opinion. As far as those who can start from scratch, and have a design ready to represent an event of this magnitude in just 4 hours...well, I guess you have all the talent and skills that the rest of us are lacking. Best of luck to you. I myself would have to spend way more than 4 hours just researching the state of Washington, and the Locale where the Event is to be held, in order to be able to incorporate elements that represent the Event well.

I guess from the reading starting post I misunderstood what was expected in a submission. I was thinking that you were asking for artwork ready to forward to the mint. I guess you're not requiring such a detailed design. That changes my opinion. As far as those who can start from scratch, and have a design ready to represent an event of this magnitude in just 4 hours...well, I guess you have all the talent and skills that the rest of us are lacking. Best of luck to you. I myself would have to spend way more than 4 hours just researching the state of Washington, and the Locale where the Event is to be held, in order to be able to incorporate elements that represent the Event well.

Hmmmm, where are you getting 4 hours? You have until September 30th, 2009.

Hmmmm, where are you getting 4 hours? You have until September 30th, 2009.

I believe the "4 hour" part is coming from post #10 above. By the way I'm just pointing out an answer to Tsun and am not in any way getting into any discussions on this topic since I really don't have any opinions on the matter. Good luck to all the entrants! :)

UPDATE!!!

All designs submitted will be released back to the owner/designers the day the COWWS select a winning design.

If designers wish to go forward with producing their GeoWoodstock 8 coin they will need to contact the COWWS about licensing fees associated with using the GeoWoodstock name.

I've only been around for a lil over a year, and maybe I don't understand the big deal about this event,as you said a mega,,I've never been to one, if you get permotion from the design that is a form of payment,,again in my opinion..

Shop99er , I apoligise, I don't know much about events or megas or costs of that, I just thought 20 coins was an average for a design. Nuff said , it was my opinion, and I still like the idea. I don't enjoy being told to buzz off,and probably overreacted, I stand corrected!

No need for an apology but it is time to get this thread back on track.

GeoWoodstock is one of the biggest events going on. "Mega" events have at least 500 in attendance. For the GeoWoodstock 8 next year we expect between 7,500 and 10,000.

QUOTE(WRITE SHOP ROBERT @ Aug 4 2009, 11:01 PM)

I guess from the reading starting post I misunderstood what was expected in a submission. I was thinking that you were asking for artwork ready to forward to the mint. I guess you're not requiring such a detailed design. That changes my opinion. As far as those who can start from scratch, and have a design ready to represent an event of this magnitude in just 4 hours...well, I guess you have all the talent and skills that the rest of us are lacking. .

We are not looking for professional designers who can give us final art. We want everyone to feel like they can submit a design no matter what their art levels are. It's a level playing field and we hope that everyone with an idea will submit a design.

As far as those who can start from scratch, and have a design ready to represent an event of this magnitude in just 4 hours...well, I guess you have all the talent and skills that the rest of us are lacking. Best of luck to you. I myself would have to spend way more than 4 hours just researching the state of Washington, and the Locale where the Event is to be held, in order to be able to incorporate elements that represent the Event well.

True. But 40 hours of work is the extreme other end. I usually design my event coins in and evening... this isn't because I am fast (I am, but hey!), but more because I missed the deadline and had to have something into the mint so the coins would arrive in time!

My main point before was that I think is a priviledge to work on something for a mega event, so the compensation, although fair needn't be outlandish. That being said, I am working on a number of coins for GW8 so we shall see what sticks and what doesn't.

We are not looking for professional designers who can give us final art. We want everyone to feel like they can submit a design no matter what their art levels are. It's a level playing field and we hope that everyone with an idea will submit a design.

I think this is wonderful! Wish I was creative enough to come up with a design.

And in regards to the "fair compensation" debate...whatever happened to doing something for the love of the "sport", "activity", whatever? Why does everything have to have a $$ attached to it? The event organizers are volunteering their time to plan this event. Is their time any less valuable than an artist? I think not.

Additional information:

It needs to stated that we may or may not use any of the designs submitted.

In addition we reserve the right to refine any design (but with full disclosure to the designer prior to changes), use different metals, enamel colors or special enamels such as glitter, glow in the dark, etc.

We have also removed the necessity to include "Carnation, WA" into the coin design.

Additional information:

In addition we reserve the right to refine any design (but with full disclosure to the designer prior to changes), use different metals, enamel colors or special enamels such as glitter, glow in the dark, etc.

We have also removed the necessity to include "Carnation, WA" into the coin design.

If you could please, some clarification to what you just wrote...

1. When you state may or may not use, is it safe to assume that sometime after designs are submitted, you will choose the design you like and then notify the designers "thanks but no thanks" so we are free to use designs submitted but rejected for our own purposes? That's how I'm reading it but that may not be what's intended.

2. By refining the design: are you going to work with the designer on the revisions or do you intend to say; "we are going to change, this and this..." and no input from the designer? Colors/metals/enamels doesn't concern me so much since this seems logical.

Thanks in advance.

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

Additional information:

If you could please, some clarification to what you just wrote...

1. When you state may or may not use, is it safe to assume that sometime after designs are submitted, you will choose the design you like and then notify the designers "thanks but no thanks" so we are free to use designs submitted but rejected for our own purposes? That's how I'm reading it but that may not be what's intended.

2. By refining the design: are you going to work with the designer on the revisions or do you intend to say; "we are going to change, this and this..." and no input from the designer? Colors/metals/enamels doesn't concern me so much since this seems logical.

Thanks in advance.

tsun

1- We will look at all the designs for the coin at our first meeting in October. This will include all the designs submitted by the caching community as well as what we've come up with ourselves. Once we have picked a design we will let everyone know that we won't be using their design directly after that meeting so you can go on with your own projects.

2- Refining designs means that if we get something that is hand drawn and not computer generated we will tidy it up. If there is a case where the coin designer doesn't understand that some things aren't possible (like two colors touching without a metal dam) we will redraw that. NOTHING will be done without consulting the designer first. It's your art. We respect that.

Please don't be afraid to submit a design thinking that you design one thing and it comes out the other end looking nothing like what you designed. Our commitment is to making the best GeoWoodstock we can and getting the caching community involved.

For the GeoWoodstock 8 next year we expect between 7,500 and 10,000.

REALLY :D Odd that the other 5 COWWS members that I have been talking to all estimated a much lower number.

And given that I am talking to local municipalities on your behalf I would hope that someone is giving me a number that's not 30 to 50 percent low. I would also hope that the number of coins ordered are in line with the correct figure.

Just saying that's a big difference.

For the GeoWoodstock 8 next year we expect between 7,500 and 10,000.

REALLY :D Odd that the other 5 COWWS members that I have been talking to all estimated a much lower number.

This year's Woodstock had about 5000 people. We expect to have that and probably more. We're expecting at least 5000, figuring we'll get 7500 and won't be surprised if we get 10,000.

There's no way of knowing how many to plan for. There are just too many factors when talking about total attendance. There's the number of actual bodies at the event, there's the number of people signed up ahead of time, there's the number of people who have purchased coins, there's the number of people who have purchased t-shirts... the list goes on and on.

Would you like to design the GeoWoodstock VIII coin?

We hope you would like to because we’re opening up the design to everyone who wants to give it a try.

PLEASE DON’T POST ANY IMAGERY ON THIS THREAD!!

The thread Moderators will be asked to delete any images that are posted to this thread. We want this to be kept a secret!

Design a coin, front and back, and let your imagination run wild. Please include all pertinent information about the coin you’ve designed. We need to know what size it is, what metals are used, is it 3D or 2D, enamel colors, any special attributes, etc. Please include Pantone chart numbers for enamels, glitters and glow in the dark. If you need help you can find a Pantone color chart here:

Make it round or make it any shape you want. Just make it unique!

Here are the basic guidelines you need to follow for your submissions.

DO NOT POST ANY IMAGERY ON THIS THREAD!!

Submit your designs to: shop99er@prodigy.net

Subject Line: GeoWoodstock Coin Design

Please include, on your submissions:

~Your caching name if you have one

~Your real name (first and last)

~Your email

~Designs need to be in jpg or gif format

~Images should be no larger than 500kb (that’s front image 500kb, back image 500kb)

~Designs must be submitted by October 18th, 2009.

~Trackable at Geocaching.com or Track at Geocaching.com must appear on the coin

~There does need to be a space available to etch tracking numbers so please incorporate that into your design.

~Submit as many designs as you like.

~GeoWoodstock VIII, 2010 should be incorporated into the design.

All submissions will become property of COWWS until July 3, 2010.

There will be one design picked to be come the official GeoWoodstock VIII coin

Winner will not be notified until the coin is made public.

Design winner will receive 12 limited/artist edition coins for their efforts.

We've extended the deadline by two weeks, so you now have until October 18th to get your submissions in!

We've received some great ones so far...keep them coming!

using the "Force", I wave my hand and say....

No need for more entrys.

these are not the droids, I mean drawings your looking for .......

Yeah, it's like the drawings they got wasn't to their liking. >.>

*waves hand*

Not the coins you are looking for. You already have the coin you seek.

:P

Is there a reason to have the coin designs so early?

Because we like to GIT R DONE :lol: After choosing the design, we then have to start the bidding process for those companies interested in producing the coin. It's simply something we can do now instead of waiting until later when we'll be busy with the many other aspects of this huge event. :smile: