moneys no object

Get to know a surveyor. They have really good toys. And I believe the US military has some pretty accurate equipment as well. For the rest of us there are a number of choices that really come down to your own personal preferences. Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance and DeLorme all have excellent hand held units. I am sure there are others as well.

ok being that money is no object for anyone what GPS would you get
It depends on what your uses will be. Geocaching? Surveying, land management? Navigation, on any or all of roads, trails, wilderness, water, in the air?

i guess this is the best place for reviews
No, this is a terrible place for reviews unless you are specifically interested in GEOCACHING as your primary purpose, and you're willing/able to integrate a huge number of responses and filter through everybody's personal prejudices. "I love product X" is an opinion, it's only useful as a "review" if you know and trust the person expressing it. Useful reviews would compare product X and Y under similar conditions that are relevant to your intended purpose -- those kind of reviews do show up here, but rarely.

thanks for the input
You're welcome.
It depends on what your uses will be. Geocaching? Surveying, land management? Navigation, on any or all of roads, trails, wilderness, water, in the air?

No, this is a terrible place for reviews unless you are specifically interested in GEOCACHING as your primary purpose, and you're willing/able to integrate a huge number of responses and filter through everybody's personal prejudices. "I love product X" is an opinion, it's only useful as a "review" if you know and trust the person expressing it. Useful reviews would compare product X and Y under similar conditions that are relevant to your intended purpose -- those kind of reviews do show up here, but rarely.

thanks for the input
You're welcome.

Actually, and I believe there are some who'd agree, this is a GREAT place to get "reviews". Reviews ARE opinions based on others' experiences, this is what is given here on a regular basis. If you read the reviews given on the amazon.com sales pages for any of the units for sale, you'll get just that, personal opinion from user experiences. Now, if you're looking for revies from say Consumer Products or such, then this isn't the place at all!

That said, take any personal experiences you read here with a grain of salt and do your own research as well, you'll soon come up with the info you desire...or run away screaming lol

... this is a GREAT place to get "reviews". Reviews ARE opinions based on others' experiences.
No, they're not.

A product review covers features and how they work, the more complete the better, and ideally with comparisons to other products. It contains facts -- information which may be objectively proved or disproved. An opinion is a belief which cannot be objectively proved or disproved; a subjective view held by the person stating it. A product review may contain opinions, but if it contains ONLY opinions without facts it is useless.

That's MY opinion, at least :P

If you read the reviews given on the amazon.com sales pages for any of the units for sale, you'll get just that, personal opinion from user experiences...
Actually, Amazon.com product description and review pages usually contain more factual information, arranged in a more accessible and useful way, than most of the "reviews" posted on the Groundspeak forums.

On Amazon.com (and many other sites selligng a range of products from multiple vendors) you can easily compare feature sets and current prices between different models and brands. As for the opinion-filled reviews, you'll typically find more individual reviewers, with ONE review from each person who chooses to post, with a 1-5 rating given by that person. Those are indeed "just" opinions -- but the wider sampling, numerical ratings, and elimination of the back and forth arguing make it very useful for product evaluation.

... this is a GREAT place to get "reviews". Reviews ARE opinions based on others' experiences.
No, they're not.

A product review covers features and how they work, the more complete the better, and ideally with comparisons to other products. It contains facts -- information which may be objectively proved or disproved. An opinion is a belief which cannot be objectively proved or disproved; a subjective view held by the person stating it. A product review may contain opinions, but if it contains ONLY opinions without facts it is useless.

That's MY opinion, at least :P

If you read the reviews given on the amazon.com sales pages for any of the units for sale, you'll get just that, personal opinion from user experiences...
Actually, Amazon.com product description and review pages usually contain more factual information, arranged in a more accessible and useful way, than most of the "reviews" posted on the Groundspeak forums.

On Amazon.com (and many other sites selligng a range of products from multiple vendors) you can easily compare feature sets and current prices between different models and brands. As for the opinion-filled reviews, you'll typically find more individual reviewers, with ONE review from each person who chooses to post, with a 1-5 rating given by that person. Those are indeed "just" opinions -- but the wider sampling, numerical ratings, and elimination of the back and forth arguing make it very useful for product evaluation.

Whereas here, you get primarily opinions from others who are using the GPS as the one wanting opinions will likely be. I stand by my opinion that you can learn a great deal in these forums! :lol:

thanks for the input
You're welcome.

Too true. Way too true. :P