Tribal Sun Geocoin - On Sale Now!

Zelanzy

Hello folks, since Moon Dipper is in its final stages I decided to start my next next project --- PROJECT TRIBAL SUN. I figure if I print the moon I have to print its counterpart...the sun! I just finished the rough draft of the front and back. The mint is probably going to remotely smack me in the face when they get to the back! I hope its doable or I will change to a more simplified font. The bottom of the back says track this sun at geocaching.com ... its hard to read in the image since I resized to down a bit and lost some resolution along the way. But honestly I don't care if it isn't easily readable in the final print since that's the whole point of using this font ;). A keen eye may recognize this font as being the one I used on the rough draft of moon dipper.

Size, color and metal selection...ok the WHOLE COIN...is tentative! Dark gray is level 2 (the sun rays).

Geek Stuff: I learned a new program for the face, inkscape...which is free (open source) and amazing. But it is not so great with text, so for the back I went back to my old standby: Fireworks.

This coin will move to production if moon dipper does well (PLEASE OH PLEASE).

TribalSunRoughDraft.gif

Edit: added new image, self hosted (but only 500pix wide so fairly small, will upload bigger one tonight)

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

What is version one on that page (the orange and red one)? Me likey!

...oh nothing ;)

Those are the colors I originally saw this coin in when it was just in my mind and not on paper (er computer). They are tentatively the colors for one version. My wife hated them and made me change to blue or she wouldn't provide consultation...

TribalSunSP.gif

What is version one on that page (the orange and red one)? Me likey!

...oh nothing ;)

Those are the colors I originally saw this coin in when it was just in my mind and not on paper (er computer). They are tentatively the colors for one version. My wife hated them and made me change to blue or she wouldn't provide consultation...

TribalSunSP.gif

Well... don't tell your wife... but I want one in black, red, and yellow. ;)

zelanzy > haggler...as such he will be funding this. This is a GO, mint is working on art. 3 versions:

1. blue / light blue grid, yellow ray, white back

2. red / orange grid, yellow ray, white back

3. the zz (zelanzy zedition, my personal color choices) will be fully disclosed on opening day of sales (hint on site) and will not use any of the above colors.

1.75" diameter, hard enamel, 6 samples to be ordered, 3 of #1 and 3 of #2. exclusively available at the only site with a split personality (haggler and zelanzy)!

Mint says my back is too detailed to raise metal the text and are recommending a screen print of the black text on white hard enamel with raised engraved plate. I can do that or redesign. Note to self: scribble fonts not so good for geocoins! I'm also working on removing the scribbles around the text, ugh taking soooo long!

tribalsunback_v4.gif

Mint Art on Face:

2HC-00001S01-1.jpg

Edited by Zelanzy

Yeh I lived in MN my whole life, then about 6 years ago I moved to AZ for 3 yrs. No clouds, bright blue sky though. I missed the gray, slightly dreary, MN clouds. Needless to say I moved back. I've been back in MN for about 3-4 years.

This will not be a preorder, it is funded by myself. When I receive the coins in hand I will give a few days heads up in this post and to my customer list at my website. They will then go on sale directly on my site which you can link to in my signature.

I have 5 projects planned, 2 WIP (Moon Dipper, Tribal Sun) and 3 in the ideation phase (GLOCKOIN, Yabo Yabo, and Low Cost Kroner).

I'm quite new around here, just started geocaching last fathers day when my son (wife) got me a GPS after researching hobbies for new dads. Found a coin, fondled a coin, fell in LOVE with THE COIN! Lot of ideas in my head + a little uninvested money (since the market is scary) = new business venture!

My other, much further along, project can be found here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=226890

So, my original back started out as being impossible for the mint to do. I manually removed "squiggles" and resent, which was still impossible to stamp. So their artist then smoothed all edges, and I tweaked their smoothing below, and BAM we are almost there! See below:

2HC-00001S01-1_v3.gif

Edited by Zelanzy

If you are printing the words you shoudl be able to do your original artwork. I would have thought you could do the original artwork in a die also.

Yeh, I wanted stamped metal vs. printing so decided to redo the art. I thought for sure the original art was stampable, but they checked with the factory twice and they said it was too jagged and some of the lines were too thin. I'm very impressed with their smoothed artwork though, I'm running with it.

Update: I will be attending geocoinfest, there was one vendor spot left. So this coin and my Moon Dipper coin will be sold there. Anything leftover will be sold online. I will just be selling the 2 coins at the festival, 650 total, I'm grassroots baby!

Mint Run 1 of this will be:

160 Red/Orange in Copper

160 Blue/Blight Blue in Nickel

80 zelanzy zedition - color/metal to be unveiled at festival

Edited by Zelanzy

Digging this one and gonna try to keep my fingers fast enough to get one or two! Glad they made you tone down the font on the back, cool font in it's place, but I think the front and back compliment each other nicely at this point, nice job!

Thanks, I'm a pretty big fan of using text as art and the mint artists and I had fun toning it down and making it more our own. Also the back of the ZZ is in the same yellow as the front of the RE so as to unify the set. I'm still debating not calling the ZZ a ZZ since I want to mint it again (its my fav)...but I will hold to my policy: if on sale day it's a ZZ, it will not be reminted.

Note: I have a policy that ZZ coins are LE by default and will never be minted again in the same metal/color combo. I should also point out this is as complex as my editioning policy gets. No XXXLE-AE for me!

Edited by Zelanzy

Note: I have a policy that ZZ coins are LE by default and will never be minted again in the same metal/color combo. I should also point out this is as complex as my editioning policy gets. No XXXLE-AE for me!

Thank you for that. I am having my personal minted and I fretted over naming different editions. I finally decided to do it MY way, because in my mind, each one of my metals are LE (if that's the pinultimate) :laughing:

I'm glad to read that someone else is of the same mind. :laughing: