Why is Earth View so inaccurate?

DeepButi

I'm not talking about general Google Earth inaccuracy. What surprises me is that the caches are not placed at their correct coordinates when using Earth Viewer.

If I enter the coordinates (copy & paste) manually on GE for known, already found, open air caches that are easily identifiable, the mark goes almost exactly where it should. I would say less than a couple of meters in all the ones I've tried. (I know GE is not exact in some areas, probably I'm lucky with mine).

But, when using Earth Viewer, the cache is placed in erroneous coordinates. Clicking on "Properties" shows diferent values from the correct ones.

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by DeepButi

You're doing nothing wrong. The fuzzification of coordinates in the Google Earth Geocaching KML is intentional. This feature is intended only for providing a general overview of caches in the area. For the exact coordinates, premium members can load a pocket query of the area into Google Earth.

This is mentioned in the first section of the instructions for using the Geocache Google Earth Viewer.

You're doing nothing wrong. The fuzzification of coordinates in the Google Earth Geocaching KML is intentional. This feature is intended only for providing a general overview of caches in the area. For the exact coordinates, premium members can load a pocket query of the area into Google Earth.

This is mentioned in the first section of the instructions for using the Geocache Google Earth Viewer.

Ok thks. I didn't understand this from the instructions wording ...

"Please Note: The coordinates used in Google Earth are only an approximation and can be up to 100 ft from the actual location. The Geocaching Google Earth feature is a tool for viewing geocaches in a general location. Do not use the coordinates in Google Earth for finding or placing geocaches."

I understood this as a general GE inaccuracy caution, not as an intentional "placing in diferent location" when using Viewer.

Thks for the clarification.

I understood this as a general GE inaccuracy caution, not as an intentional "placing in diferent location" when using Viewer.

The main reason for deliberately fuzzifying the coordinates is to prevent people running "poor person's PQs", but if an additional benefit is that people believe - correctly - that GE's coordinates are not reliable enough to place a cache, that's a nice bonus. :mad: