What is a common FTF prize?

Cache*Hopper

It's ALL about the blank log for the real FTF hounds. My logs are all printed with a space a the top:

This space reserved for the ruminations of the MEFF:

All bow down!

MEFF = most esteemed first finder

Paintfiction was the cacher I took this from, I don't know from whom he lifted it ;-)

Unactivated geocoins are nice MEFF fodder. I've done that a few times, but mostly nothing special for the FTF.

Most caches don't have FTF prizes. I've been FTF on roughly 2 dozen (I really don't count) and have never encountered one. Of my 270+ caaches I've put a FTF prize in maybe 15.

I'd rather people skip the prize and use the money they would have spent to raise the level of the contents for everybody.

An important lesson learned during my first year of caching and hiding is that the whole FTF thing is bad juju. My suggestion is to completely ignore this silly little FTF race on traditionals. Don't put out any special "prizes" and never put FTF Congratulations banners on your cache listings.

The only caches where a FTF really means anything is a puzzle cache, a complicated multi, or a remote wilderness cache. That is what levels the playing field and allows more people to participate on equal ground. When you encourage FTF on urban traditional caches, then only the unemployed guys with cell phone instant notifications are in on the race. There is no skill involved as it is pure luck as to who is going to be closest at the instant of publication. Most of these "it's only about the numbers" folks don't care about the caches or the work that went into the placement. And I just love it when they log their FTF with such classic drivel as "you all lost again", "if you're not first, you're last", "try harder next time" and other such BS tauntings. People who do things like this don't deserve the time of day. So it's best to ignore the whole FTF game where it is these types who are going to have first access to the cache.

For me, most traditional caches get nothing for FTF recognition. A good multi and most puzzle caches will get a FTF (or First to Solve & Find) prize. Depending on the difficulty, the "prize" may be $1, $5, or $10 as many of the puzzle finals are micros and don't really have room for anything but cash. Unregistered TB tags or GeoCoins are also good to use. Gift cards to local businesses or other geocaching related items would be good as well. Keep it simple, on topic, and local.

I have only left out a handful of FTF prizes among my 145 hides and only found a few among my FTF's. They are certainly not required or even expected around here.

The reason for me asking is it does seem there are a lot of people in my area that FTF prizes. Since I've never been the FTF I had no idea what people do.

Thanks to everyone for letting me know, now I need to figure out if I'm going to do something or not.

Edited by Sportbikechick

I've only hidden two caches, and only been FTF on one so far.

On my first FTF the hider left two $1 bills rolled tightly around the log (small/micro cache).

My first two hides were small 1.5 quart lock n lock containers. I left two presidential gold dollars in one cache, and a $5.00 McDonalds Arch Card (Gift Card) in the other.

The Arch card was nice - here's the FTF log (GC1W9WW):

July 24 by AdventurersInOdyssey (626 found)

8:30 am...Nice Hike...and a great way to start the day. Used FTF gift card to treat AiO boys to breakfast since I rolled them out of bed earlier than they would have normally gotten up. Despite tree cover and heavy fog, coordinates were right on. We were so glad to see a writing instrument in the container as it would have been a long way to go back to the car. TFTC

- AdventurersInOdyssey (logged from the office of Mr. AiO as dictated via phone from the field by Mrs. AiO!)

I don't leave FTF prizes for any particular reason other than the fun of giving something nice for that person that made the extra effort to get up early, stay out late, or otherwise strive to get the FTF. It's just fun for me.

As some have said, an FTF prize is not required or even expected (by most cachers). The FTF honor is typically what most cachers are after. I've even seem many logs where the FTF left the prize for the NTF.

i usually leave a crisp new hundred dollar bill in mine.

There was a group of cachers, obviously fairly wealthy, who really would leave $100 bills, new GPS units and other very valuable items for the FTF. The caches were for the most part extremely difficult ones.

I'm not sure if they are still hiding caches and leaving expensive FTF prizes. I haven't seen a mention of them in a few years.

Good imput, Jeep4two. That blank log is always the best reward and the gifts are a nice bonus. I try to leave a gift in each cache I set in hopes that the FTFr will be a little more verbose when he/she logs the find online.

So, I guess nothing is ever done without some form of motive. Now you know what mine is. :P

Sorry to hear your FTF experience was not as plesant, SSO JOAT.

I haven't run into the type of FTFr's you are describing. But, I am sure they are out there in some locals. Fortunately the top FTFr's in my area are also very dedicated to improving and supporting the local/regional Geo Community.

I think most if not all of the traditional caches in our local could qualify as remote wilderness concidering my (public) back yard is 88,000+ acres.

So, maybe that is why so many caches have a gift in my area.

Happy Caching.

Around here, it is not very common for someone to leave a FTF prize. I've 180-odd FTF's to date and of the FTF prizes that I've seen or heard about, there were: unactivated TB's or Geocoins, a nano container (I really need to do something with that), lottery scratch off tickets, 'dollar-off' coupons for a restaurant, gift cards/certificates.

Really, the best prize for the FTF is actually signing the blank log, IMHO. I wouldn't put a prize out unless the cache is hard to solve/find/retrieve/replace, etc.

In the next week or so I'm going to be putting out my first caches. I see that a lot of people put out FTF prizes. What is a common FTF prize?

If you want to put an FTF prize, use your imagination. I've put out a new Maglite Solitaire and have another ready to go into my next one. In a cache that I named Alexander Hamilton Sleeps Here, I put in just that ... an Alexander Hamilton ($10). It's a nasty cache to get to and so far only two have found it, but I felt the Hamilton would be a nice reward for the effort needed to reach the cache. As others have said though, the prize really isn't necessary.

Most caches don't have FTF prizes. I've been FTF on roughly 2 dozen (I really don't count) and have never encountered one. Of my 270+ caaches I've put a FTF prize in maybe 15.

I'd rather people skip the prize and use the money they would have spent to raise the level of the contents for everybody.

lol...for a second when you said 270+, I thought you meant Finds, not Hides. Until I kept reading.

Nothing wrong with so few...just figured after a long time one would have more.

I usually put a badge which says First to Find which I buy from ukgeocachers see http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/catalog/I-Go...on-Badge-1.html

I have found 14 FTF so far and only one had a nice FTF pin from UKgeocachers see http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/catalog/Ftf-...ocachers-1.html

I have put that pin in my treasures box along with my Flonopoly Pathtag so it is nice to found one but the best thing is always the blank log.

You don't have to put anything in there for a FTF prize. All that is required it a container and a log. I plan on doing that for most of my caches from now on or maybe some real cheap swag items worth almost nothing. As far as the ones that do have FTF prizes I have seen caches that had everything from a quarter to a $50.00 bill. So if you choose to have a FTF prize it can be anything. I am planning one cache that is kind of hard to find with a FTF prize being the choice of one of the trade items trade free. I will be loading it with $20-$50 worth of trade items with a paper stating the site policy on trade items and stating the value on each item with a paper stating that value. That way there is no guessing what value of an item I expected traded for that item. It will be in a rather secure area since it will be on private land but if the quality of swag still erodes after all that I will not be replenishing it.