Geocoin Collection Proposal Type Thingy, Making trackables easier on the owner

House Of Boo

We've got a few geocoins that we've bought in the past (not comprehensive enough to be a collection but we've been known to buy the odd coin to commemorate an event etc.). Now we have no intention to set these coins onto the cache to cache circuit as they are mementos but instead will always keep them together.

Every time I go out caching they appear in the logging page needlessly getting in the way of TB's Ive picked up and need to log in and out of caches, making the whole TB exchange a bit more of a chore than it needs to be. What would be nice if all my non-wandering coins could be forged into one TB...

So...

Would it be an possible to have an option to select Geocoins and add them to a "My Collection" set which would be given its own personal tracking number - at no cost to the owner! So for those cachers who take these tomes of coins to events for others to admire and collect icons then they could all be logged by using one TB tracking number. The simplicity of logging all these coins into an event would also be made easier on the owner and keep a record on their coins travels to boot!

The benefit to Geocaching.com (other than the ease of use to its participants/subscribers) would be that if the whole process if made easier might encourage more people to buy geocoins to add to a "My Collection" total. Could be a whole new numbers game for geocachers to get into???

Just an idea, I don't know about the feasibility putting into action, but thought I'd put it out there in order to get gunned down :blink:

House Of Boo

A lot of people are into the icon thing and they wouldn't get all the coin icons that way if I understand what you are thinking about. I just take all my coins and put them in an archived cache of mine and then they don't show up in my inventory

Mine are also in an unpublished cache. I need to ask our local publisher if I should archive it. I have heard you should and then that is it ok - as long as it isn't published.

A lot of people are into the icon thing and they wouldn't get all the coin icons that way if I understand what you are thinking about. I just take all my coins and put them in an archived cache of mine and then they don't show up in my inventory

Mine are also in an unpublished cache. I need to ask our local publisher if I should archive it. I have heard you should and then that is it ok - as long as it isn't published.

once you archive it, you won't be able to edit it though

I think OP is not just asking how to empty out the inventory of coins that aren't going anywhere except the odd event but also how to ease the logging them into and out of said events when they do get moved. After all dropping them in only to take them out again is about as time consuming (especially if you bring binders full of them) as sifting through a clogged inventory only more so if they have to then be moved to a holding cache or stash cache.

Personally I don't drop all my coins into events when I take them, maybe one or two hot ones to tease the icon hos who might be coming and those are grabbed easily enough after logging my attendance.

Edited by Droo

The only event I've been able to make it to since starting to collect coins, I dropped all 80some of my coins into the event, and then spent several hours after the event picking them all up again. I told myself I'd never do that again, and started dropping them all into my cache that's on my doorstep so they're not clogging up my inventory.

once you archive it, you won't be able to edit it though

Robert, the archived cache listing is yours and you can still access it like any other cache of yours but nobody else can, and that's the point.

Just an idea, I don't know about the feasibility putting into action, but thought I'd put it out there in order to get gunned down :blink:

House Of Boo

In the meantime you can get them out of your Drop inventory by placing them into the Unknown Location. Simply access the coin page and under Trackable Item Options and select Mark item missing. Obviously they aren't missing but it will get them out of your way. You can pull them back out at anytime by simply logging a Grab.

If you take them to an event people can still log a Discover while they are out to the Unknown Location. No Dropping or Retrieving required.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I solved the dropping and retrieving problem by creating a TB attached to my coin collection. when someone discovers my TB at an event I send them my coin codes for discovery purposes. It saves me mega time when moving TB's and saves mega time for those that discover to only have to keep track of 1 TB code( not some 400 coin codes)

My coins never leave the vault ( an unpublished/archived cache)

The only downside (if any at all) is they don't get any miles or events added to the profile of the coin, then again since they don't have any droppped/retrieved logs, the profile is cleaner. Most folks put in thier log where or what event they discovered them at anyhow.

on a side note, I like Droo's idea of dropping one or two rare icons that could draw some to come visit just for the hope of discovery...

perhaps Groundspeak could create something like a bookmark list

except for trackables

maybe call it a "group" or "set" or "collection" or some-such

you would create the "group"

populate it with trackables

dip it into geocaches

it would then automatically drop/retrieve all of the trackables in the "group" into/from that geocache