Should I wait until former TB holder logs the drop

CanDMan47

I grabbed a TB today from a cache. It has been in the cache at least two days. I know this because someone "Discovered It" in the cache I retrieved it from two days ago. It has not been "placed" in this is cache by the former holder yet. I can "grab it" from the previous holder, but is that seen as an aggressive move (someone traveling may not have had the chance to log it yet)? I can give him/her some more time, the bugs mission is just to visit caches.

Just another etiquette question from the always proper,

CanDMan47.

Give it a few days to a couple of weeks. I usually check to see if the cacher who dropped the trackable has logged caches, especially the one where I found the trackable before doing anything else. After a time I will drop the cacher a note and ask if they will be logging the trackable or if they want me to grab it. Sometimes I get a response but most of the time the trackable gets logged. People forget sometimes. I know I do despite my best efforts and intentions.

This won't help you in this instance, but we made up and carry with us pre-printed cards that we attach to a TB or GC if we know it will be more than a day before we can log it in.

Explain that we are traveling, and won't be able to log until ___________ (date written). Please check after that date and you should be able to log w/o "grabbing". After logging, please discard this notice in the proper receptacle. Thank you. (signed)

:huh::blink:

This won't help you in this instance, but we made up and carry with us pre-printed cards that we attach to a TB or GC if we know it will be more than a day before we can log it in.

Explain that we are traveling, and won't be able to log until ___________ (date written). Please check after that date and you should be able to log w/o "grabbing". After logging, please discard this notice in the proper receptacle. Thank you. (signed)

:):blink:

I don't have pre-printed cards, but if the TB is in a ziploc, I'll tear out a sheet of my notepad paper and write down my name and date I placed the TB in the cache and leave that in the ziploc so that whoever retrieves the bug will know when I placed it. Same concept, just not as fancy :huh: If it doesn't have a ziploc, I'll give it one and if I have a chance, print out the info sheet for the TB and put that in with it as well. Then, I will also note in the cache's physical log the bug I took or dropped. I'm all about keeping bugs and coins from disappearing, so I don't mind doing a little extra to help keep them moving.

Bruce

Rather than go through all the hassle of emailing the person who currently has it and failed to log the drop I just grab it, drop it in the cache and grab it from the cache. It could take the person some time to respond for any number of reasons. Since I am already in front of the computer and have the bug it just seems easy and appropriate to solve the problem immediately.

Give it a few days to a couple of weeks. I usually check to see if the cacher who dropped the trackable has logged caches, especially the one where I found the trackable before doing anything else. After a time I will drop the cacher a note and ask if they will be logging the trackable or if they want me to grab it. Sometimes I get a response but most of the time the trackable gets logged. People forget sometimes. I know I do despite my best efforts and intentions.

I agree a few days should be given, some grab way to soon and this creates a problem for the person that actually did the move in that they don't have time to log. this creates problems. It has happened to me recently.

I agree a few days should be given, some grab way to soon and this creates a problem for the person that actually did the move in that they don't have time to log. this creates problems. It has happened to me recently.