If your first hide was a film canister micro...

L0ne.R

This is a question for cache owners whose first hide was a film canister? There have been theories suggested as to why people choose to hide a micro as their first hide but the theories are usually put forth by people who did not hide a micro as a first hide. I'd like to hear from actual cache hiders as to what motivated them to hide a film canister micro as their first hide.

• Was it because you had found a few film canister micros and enjoyed them so you wanted to hide one too?
  • Was the cost of a container a factor? (Film canisters are free)
  • Was it because you found the perfect spot that you wanted to take people to but a regular or small size container wouldn't fit?
  • Was it because you weren't sure you were committed to the game so you didn't want to invest a lot before deciding this game was for you?
  • Was it because film canister micros are easy to maintain (no swag)?
  • Was it because film canister micros are easier to hide?
  • Was there another reason, not covered by this list?

Though not a film can, my first hide was a micro I made and mounted in a stop sign. Purty lame, but the point of the hide was to take the cache hunters to a see a neat old barn. I have other micros that serve the same purpose. A tiny container that (I think) brings folks to see something new or of interest. One is on the boundary of a historic site that is small, but easy to find so as to not damage the area.

I don't like micros, but they can serve a purpose.

[*]Was it because you had found a few film canister micros and enjoyed them so you wanted to hide one too?

I hate micros. Have a terrible time finding those little things. Maybe I found it cathartic. Maybe facing my nemesis would help me see its weaknesses and make it seem less ominous. Maybe...

[*]Was the cost of a container a factor? (Film canisters are free)

Yes, and I could replace it fast if it disappeared.

[*]Was it because you found the perfect spot that you wanted to take people to but a regular or small size container wouldn't fit?

Yes.

[*]Was it because you weren't sure you were committed to the game so you didn't want to invest a lot before deciding this game was for you?

I still wasn't sure about the submitting process, and this was a hide that would have the fewest problems if there were complications.

[*]Was it because film canister micros are easy to maintain (no swag)?

Yes. And it's super easy to check on. I can just walk past it, yep, still there.

[*]Was it because film canister micros are easier to hide?

Yes. And I might have had a tougher time getting permission for a spot to hide my "regular-sized" container. With the micro, the park manager was suggesting spots.

[*]Was there another reason, not covered by this list?

It was the first container I built that was actually ready to place. And I placed it one month before listing it, to see how it would fare through weather, muggles, etc. It worked, and looked so great in its spot, I submitted it.

Edited by kunarion

My first hide was a multi using film cans for the initial stages. In 2002, it was pretty standard to do this.

Yeah, who's idea was it to make stages of multi-caches micros in the woods anyways? :P

OK, I've never once used a film canister, not even as a stage of a multi. I'm outta here, and into lurk mode. Great topic, Lone R.

I used a film canister for my first hide.

I modified a fence post cap and glued the film canister inside it. Then attached it to the top of a disc golf basket pole. It's the only basket pole in the hole park that's capped :blink:. And to top it off, I used the disc golf hole that was closest to a lamp post. Most everyone that has searched for it assumed it was an LPC as their GPSr guided them to the location. Sneaky but very easy find.

I live 0.5 miles away.

I didn't want it to get muggled. (no reason for a muggle to lift the fence post cap)

I can check on it everyday. (I can see it as I drive by)

My town is nothing but evil micros, so there'd be no way I'd do another!!

It was a very easy small lock and lock.

I've gotten tons of logs on it saying it was someone, or some kids first find.

That's got to be so much more satisfying and fulfilling than a micro placed to get back at the community for all the evil micros I can't find!!!!

first (and only) hide on my account GC1QHQT

the log design required the 35mm film container. I decided an LPC would lower expectations to the point of making this a fun cache.

my wife and my daughter have separate accounts and we tend to put most hides under their accounts.