The Geomate.jr Update Kit

Geomate.jr

G'day All

For anyone patiently awaiting the release of the Geomate.jr Update Kit, well, your wait is over!! The Update Kits are starting to show up in stores and the Update Kit web pages are live! (www.mygeomate.com/updates)

As people start to poke and prod, I'm sure questions are going to come up. So here's your chance to ask those questions, get them answered, and share the information with others.

I look forward to chatting!

Cheers

Warren

(The Geomate.jr bloke)

I saw that the update kit is showing as backordered at REI.com - hoping that this is only because it's not fully active in the system yet!

I see that there's an option in the update page to select east/west US to include all caches up to a terrain/difficulty of 4... Any chance of providing more customization for end-users to filter caches to a more custom specification?

I love my geomate -- can't wait to get my update kit and play with it in more detail...

I will definitely be picking up an Update Kit as soon as it is available at our local REI. After looking at the web interface, my question is: How often do you plan to update the lists? It appears that there were several months between previous updates. Should we expect more frequent updates in the future?

As a software engineer, I'm hoping that process is automated for you and your list maintainers sake! Thanks for coming out with such a great product.

Edited by games0802

I saw that the update kit is showing as backordered at REI.com - hoping that this is only because it's not fully active in the system yet!

Yep, this must be the case. REI definately have Update Kits, I can only assume it takes a little time to crank the handle on their processes.

I see that there's an option in the update page to select east/west US to include all caches up to a terrain/difficulty of 4... Any chance of providing more customization for end-users to filter caches to a more custom specification?

At this point not really. We planning however in creating different cache list types - things like "family friendly", "for the extremist", "micro free", but not quite a fully user customizable....

I love my geomate -- can't wait to get my update kit and play with it in more detail...

Very cool. So do I!!

What I'd like so see with this update kit is the ability to update it so it will be basically uses the same criteria as what came originally preprogrammed into it, but with recent caches included.

With that being said though I have to say even though I have a small wish list of features I think that need to be included and could easily be implemented I have to say I'm still loving my Geomate Jr.. When it comes to spur of the moment road trips with unknown destinations this GPSr is my best friend. It gives me the freedom to jump in my car with no planning and literally decide my destination after I've left home.

So thanks to the folks who put out this great little product and have put spontaneity back in my roadtrips! :P

What I'd like so see with this update kit is the ability to update it so it will be basically uses the same criteria as what came originally preprogrammed into it, but with recent caches included.

Yep, this is pretty much what it does (plus a couple other options). The 'One Click Update' basically reads what type of database you have on the device and then loads the absolute latest version of that database. So if you have the factory database, it will load the latest cache database with the same type of selection criteria applied.

Now if you want to move beyond that, you can then go ahead and select a different database that has had different selection criteria applied.

So thanks to the folks who put out this great little product and have put spontaneity back in my roadtrips! :P

No worries! I'll pass your thanks onto the rest of the team - they love hearing this type of feedback!

Cheers

Warren

Warren,

I bought a Geomaet.jr when I was home on R&R and I procrastinated and did not order it in time to arrive before I had to leave. One of the things I saw about the update kit “Load complete list of Geocache locations for other countries.” Let’s say I am in Afghanistan and I might be making stops in Kuwait or Kyrgyzstan and will not know until the last minute can I load more than one country ahead of time? There are so few caches in Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Kyrgyzstan I can just do a PQ for each country and load them all on my Colorado 400t with GSAK. This is a moot point as I do not have my Geomate.jr with me. But what if I was station in Germany and was going to travel to several countries in one trip? I am looking forward to using the geomate.jr for the first time when I return state side in November as I will be making a road trip that will cover nine states.

The 'One Click Update' basically reads what type of database you have on the device and then loads the absolute latest version of that database. So if you have the factory database, it will load the latest cache database with the same type of selection criteria applied.

Does this mean that if I select the "Western US", and the "without time limit" database, then the next time I click "One Click Update" the software will know I have that database loaded and update it? If so, that's really cool - I thought the one-click would just download the latest factory-default database.

Warren,

I bought a Geomaet.jr when I was home on R&R and I procrastinated and did not order it in time to arrive before I had to leave. One of the things I saw about the update kit “Load complete list of Geocache locations for other countries.” Let’s say I am in Afghanistan and I might be making stops in Kuwait or Kyrgyzstan and will not know until the last minute can I load more than one country ahead of time? There are so few caches in Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Kyrgyzstan I can just do a PQ for each country and load them all on my Colorado 400t with GSAK. This is a moot point as I do not have my Geomate.jr with me. But what if I was station in Germany and was going to travel to several countries in one trip? I am looking forward to using the geomate.jr for the first time when I return state side in November as I will be making a road trip that will cover nine states.

G'day AirborneSurveyor

The way we are handling loading cache lists for other countries at the moment is through large 'chucks' of the world. So rather than picking individual countries, we have setup a number of big 'squares' around different regions. At the moment these regions are Europe (so you get all of Europe and the UK in one swoop), Australasia (includes Australia, News Zealand, a little of South East Asia, and pretty much all of the South Pacific), and Canada (with a big overlap with the US). At the moment we don't really cover the Middle East, but for Germany (and any other country in Europe), you will be well and truly covered.

I hope this helps!

Cheers

Warren

The 'One Click Update' basically reads what type of database you have on the device and then loads the absolute latest version of that database. So if you have the factory database, it will load the latest cache database with the same type of selection criteria applied.

Does this mean that if I select the "Western US", and the "without time limit" database, then the next time I click "One Click Update" the software will know I have that database loaded and update it? If so, that's really cool - I thought the one-click would just download the latest factory-default database.

Bingo! That's exactly what it does. Our thinking was that most people will end up with their favorite database type and region and hardly ever change - so this type of function made a lot of sense to us. Less clicks the better right?

Oh, also, if you do change databases, it does not effect your found list. Your found list will always remain regardless of which database you load or how often you change databases.

G'day All

For anyone patiently awaiting the release of the Geomate.jr Update Kit, well, your wait is over!! The Update Kits are starting to show up in stores and the Update Kit web pages are live! (www.mygeomate.com/updates)

As people start to poke and prod, I'm sure questions are going to come up. So here's your chance to ask those questions, get them answered, and share the information with others.

I look forward to chatting!

Cheers

Warren

(The Geomate.jr bloke)

I received my update kit today. I have the update program down loaded into my computer; but when I go back to do the "one button update", my computer locks up and nothing happens..... I've tried it three times, and am getting frustrated!.. Any ideas?..

I did finally get the update to respond, and now when I turn on my unit it shows today's date in the start-up; BUT the 20 closest caches to my present location that it shows are NOT the 20 closest caches... in other words it does not appear to have updated anything! I checked against the map of my area, and the unit does not show the newer caches that are close to me.

Also, I do not understand how you can download different areas of the world... WHere is that explained?.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by blackdoggina

Warren

We received the Update Kit yesterday and I just finished updating the database this morning. Easy as can be.

When I plugged the unit in, there was a message that indicated there was an update to the firmware.

The Geomate.jr detected!

Unit Firmware: geomate.jr V1002 RE X2-> Update Available

Unit Database: geomate.jr DB: USA All 9/9/2009

How do we go about updating that? All I could find was the DB update.

thanks for your help!

Warren

We received the Update Kit yesterday and I just finished updating the database this morning. Easy as can be.

When I plugged the unit in, there was a message that indicated there was an update to the firmware.

The Geomate.jr detected!

Unit Database: geomate.jr DB: USA All 9/9/2009

How do we go about updating that? All I could find was the DB update.

thanks for your help!

Ah, yes, the firmware update function. At the moment, we actually include any firmware update as part of the database update. So you will automatically get any firmware update every time you update your cache database and take advantage of incremental improvements to the firmware.

After an update however, that message line should just tell you the current firmware version and will not say "Update Available".

Cheers

Warren

I updated my Geomate and headed out to two caches that I've been waiting to look for until I got updated. But, NEITHER of the two I headed out for were loaded!! Neither were over 4 difficulty (nor were they for premium members). Also, one close to my house that I've been waiting to look for (again) also is NOT loaded. It's a 3 1/2 star. Can you advise why some caches are not updating?

Is there a way to see a list of the caches loaded on the Geomate (on the computer)? Vs. heading out to an area to find what you need isn 't loaded?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

I updated my Geomate and headed out to two caches that I've been waiting to look for until I got updated. But, NEITHER of the two I headed out for were loaded!! Neither were over 4 difficulty (nor were they for premium members). Also, one close to my house that I've been waiting to look for (again) also is NOT loaded. It's a 3 1/2 star. Can you advise why some caches are not updating?

Is there a way to see a list of the caches loaded on the Geomate (on the computer)? Vs. heading out to an area to find what you need isn 't loaded?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

bickhart814 and LarryandJanet, test the caches in your area and make sure they are all there. My download and update were also quick but random caches did not download. I also redid the update this morning hoping it would be different, but it was the same problem.

I am patiently awaiting Warren's assistance to fix my problem. :anibad:

Edited by OH Team

Hi Warren, It's me again! Today I went out to find some caches and again found the specific ones I went looking for not loaded. The update I am choosing is USA Eastern

Here is the list of missing caches. Maybe that will help you figure out why they are not loading. Have to assume there are others not loading besides these. I just know these since I specifically went to find them.

GCNE9J 3 Dif 3 Ter

GCW9WF 3 Dif 2 1/2 Ter

GC1X09H 2 1/2 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

GC1XYHW 1 1/2 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

GC1QZRD 3 1/2 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

GC1WQA5 1 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

I still LOVE my Geomate Jr! And I still LOVE the update kit!

Thanks!

Hi Warren, It's me again! Today I went out to find some caches and again found the specific ones I went looking for not loaded. The update I am choosing is USA Eastern

Here is the list of missing caches. Maybe that will help you figure out why they are not loading. Have to assume there are others not loading besides these. I just know these since I specifically went to find them.

GCNE9J 3 Dif 3 Ter

GCW9WF 3 Dif 2 1/2 Ter

GC1WQA5 1 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know about this - the list of missing geocaches helps a lot and it appears that they should be a part of the list. We have a theory and are checking into it as we speak. Standby!!

Cheers

Warren

Does the geomate jr prefer non-rechargeable batteries? I've been having issues with it randomly just powering off lately, & then I have to mess with the batteries, then it comes back on. I didn't have these issues til I switched to the rechargeables. Anyone else having this issue??

Does the geomate jr prefer non-rechargeable batteries? I've been having issues with it randomly just powering off lately, & then I have to mess with the batteries, then it comes back on. I didn't have these issues til I switched to the rechargeables. Anyone else having this issue??

I have had my Geomate Jr. since June and have never had that problem, however since I started using the Update kit, almost everytime I hook it up it dies and the only way I can get it to power back up is by taking out the batteries and putting them back in.

Thanks for letting me know about this - the list of missing geocaches helps a lot and it appears that they should be a part of the list. We have a theory and are checking into it as we speak. Standby!!

Cheers

Warren

Hello,

I purchased a geomate jr back in June and absolutely love it! When I first heard of the Update Kit I was very excited. Finally the day it came out I ran out to REI and purchased it. I understand that there will be some bugs to work out. Yesterday I went to try it out and more than half of the caches were not loaded.

Hopefully this helps.

I am using USA Western.

These caches were not loaded:

GC1CWOB

GC1JMZK

GC1BPDA

GC1JG47

GC1NEVT

GC1MFFH

All of these are Traditional Caches under a 4 terrain/difficulty. They are all Micros that don't show up. Again I hope this helps out.

Thank you very much in your involvement in releasing this product.

GCNE9J 3 Dif 3 Ter

GCW9WF 3 Dif 2 1/2 Ter

GC1WQA5 1 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

Thanks!

Cheers

Warren

G'day All

Well, we've taken a look, found the hiccup, and have already fixed it. Any updates from now on should contain all expected geocaches. A big thanks to the OH Team for bringing this to our attention!

Cheers

Warren

I have had my Geomate Jr. since June and have never had that problem, however since I started using the Update kit, almost everytime I hook it up it dies and the only way I can get it to power back up is by taking out the batteries and putting them back in.

yup! that's what mine's doing, but i haven't gotten the update kit yet (ordered today!!)

GCNE9J 3 Dif 3 Ter

GCW9WF 3 Dif 2 1/2 Ter

GC1WQA5 1 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

Thanks!

Cheers

Warren

G'day All

Well, we've taken a look, found the hiccup, and have already fixed it. Any updates from now on should contain all expected geocaches. A big thanks to the OH Team for bringing this to our attention!

Cheers

Warren

Thanks Warren! I updated again and it seems to be correct now. Thank you for your quick reply/response to the problem! I will let you know if I find anything else. :blink:

I have had this happen twice to me as well (owner since late July). Screen looks like it is off, but pushing the power button doesn't turn it back on. Had to pull batteries out to get it to power up. Batteries were not nearly dead as they lasted another 8 hours or so after that.

My update kit is ready for pickup at the local REI. At the risk of repeating myself, here are my questions:

How often do you plan to update the lists? It appears that there were several months between previous updates. Should we expect more frequent updates in the future?

As a software engineer, I'm hoping that process is automated for you and your list maintainers sake! Thanks for coming out with such a great product.

Finally, on the updates, are all of the available caches in the areas chosen included or is there a 6 month wait imposed (i.e. my current database is from 04/09, but none of caches placed after 10/08 are available). I'm hoping not to have to wait 6 months to get caches to show up.

Edited by games0802

I got my update kit today and am having a problem with it. Everything seems fine and i get this message on the update page:

The Geomate.jr detected!

Unit Database: geomate.jr DB: USA ALL 4/19/2009-> Update Available

A few seconds after hitting the update button i get this message:

Firmware upgrading... Please wait, this may take a few minutes!

After a few more seconds this message pops up:

Flash programming failed.

I have not (after numerous attempts) been able to contact anyone at the "support" phone number on the update page.

My family and I really love our Geomate and this new to us hobby. We look forward to being able to update as there are many caches in our area that aren't in the current DB. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

I got my update kit today and am having a problem with it. Everything seems fine and i get this message on the update page:

The Geomate.jr detected!

I have not (after numerous attempts) been able to contact anyone at the "support" phone number on the update page.

My family and I really love our Geomate and this new to us hobby. We look forward to being able to update as there are many caches in our area that aren't in the current DB. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Got mine and love the process!

Now...when are we gonna be able to filter out our previously "found" caches i.e. tie it our gc.com account? :)

Wow, some people are just never happy!! ;)

Glad you like the process though - our goal is really to keep the update side of things as simple and enjoyable as the Geomate.jr itself.

And yes, more cool stuff is in the works!

Cheers

Warren

My update kit is ready for pickup at the local REI. At the risk of repeating myself, here are my questions:

How often do you plan to update the lists? It appears that there were several months between previous updates. Should we expect more frequent updates in the future?

Finally, on the updates, are all of the available caches in the areas chosen included or is there a 6 month wait imposed (i.e. my current database is from 04/09, but none of caches placed after 10/08 are available). I'm hoping not to have to wait 6 months to get caches to show up.

I'm happy to say that the cache lists accessible with the Update Kit are updated everyday! So you get the absolute latest (well, up to about 24 hours ago...) And yes, the process is now fully automated.

As for only including geocaches that have been in place for about 6 months, this applies only to the factory-default list (USA - ALL). We do that to try to give the list a bit more staying power. Any of the other lists (such as USA - EAST) do not have this restriction and you'll get all caches up to about 24 hours ago.

The Geomate.jr detected!

G'day Mycobbwa

First, sorry to hear you couldn't get though on the support line! Unfortunately we do miss calls - next time, please just leave a message and we'll be happy to call you back as soon as we can.

As for the problem you are seeing, I'm happy to say that we already have a good idea of what is causing this error and are working on a fix as we speak.

If you can send an email to me directly (warren@apisphere.com) I can make sure you get notified when the fix is in place.

I hope this helps!!

Cheers

Warren

We just purchased a Geomate Jr. for our 9 year old, and it's working great. However, I've found an issue.

First, let me explain my setup, since this is a specific and obscure issue and most of you aren't likely to experience it.

I'm using a MacBook for all my Geocaching stuff. Unfortunately, I'm also using GSAK, which doesn't run natively under Mac OS. Therefore, i'm using Parallels and running GSAK on a Windows XP virtual machine under Parallels.

Prior to receipt of the Geomate, I had my Oregon 300 setu and running perfectly under this setup. I was able to plug the Garmin into the USB port, Parallels would pop up and ask if I wanted to connect the USB device to the virtual machine. I'd tell it to do so and life was good. The Windows VM saw the Oregon and I could export directly to it from GSAK.

Last night I got the Geomate, and the Update Kit, and since the Mac software isn't ready yet, I fired up Parallels on my Mac and installed the software on the virtual machine. Everything went off without a hitch and the Geomate updated perfectly.

I then wanted to do some stuff with my Oregon, and plugged it in. Again, Parallels asked me what I wanted to connect the USB device to, and I told it to connect to the virtual machine. As soon as it did, the MacBook kernel panicked and crashed. I can easily repeat this. Simply run parallels, connect the Garmin, tell it to connect to the VM and POOF! There goes the Mac. If I connect it to the Mac only, it works fine with all the Mac based Garmin software, but not the VM. If I connect it to the Mac, run Parallels, but connect the USB device to the Mac instead of the VM, it works, but then I have to change the way I export files. I have to tell GSAK to export to the Device as it shows in My Computer as an external drive.

The Geomate Update kit doesn't exhibit this issue. It doesn't crash the computer when connected to the VM.

I've even tried system restore in the Windows VM, but that hasn't helped. Apparently, something in the driver changed something in the USB drivers of the VM on a fundamental level and it's causing kernel panics when sharing this device. I can re-install the VM but that's going to be a huge pain in the butt.

Anyone else seeing this? Thoughts from Warren? When's the Mac version coming out? B)

Finally got my new toy and update kit yesterday at REI. This has been very frustrating. I have been having one problem after another. I took my jr out of its packaging and put the batteries in everything appears to work. But the cache accross the street didn't show up on the unit even thought it has been there over a year. So decided to do the update. Boy was that an experience. Loading the software on the cumputer worked Ok, but when trying to do the update software didn't recognze that the jr was hooked up. Finally got it to recognize the jr. I don't know if the site was busy or what but it took about 20 minutes to do the update. I selected the Western United States as my region and was already to use this morning. But when I turned it on the closest cache was 86 miles away. I live in Bloomington Minnesota and there are caches closer than 86 miles from were I live. I will try to reload update to see if works ay better.

Jsamundson got in touch with me directly and we worked together on the items that he was having trouble with. I thought I would share with everyone what we found...

I took my jr out of its packaging and put the batteries in everything appears to work. But the cache accross the street didn't show up on the unit even thought it has been there over a year.

The cache in question ended up being a cache with no known size, the Geomate.jr only includes traditional caches with known sizes.

I selected the Western United States as my region and was already to use this morning. But when I turned it on the closest cache was 86 miles away. I live in Bloomington Minnesota and there are caches closer than 86 miles from were I live.

We discovered that the "West USA" cache list doesn't quite reach Bloomington (by about 100 miles!). So updating the Geomate.jr with the "East USA" cache list fixed that, and we've also adjusted the cut off for the "West USA" cache list - it now goes all the way to longitude -90 degrees (or through Wisconsin) which is what the map on the web site shows.

As for the other items, I can't really comment as we didn't go over it, but things seemed to be working ok.

Cheers

Warren

I want to thank ALL the people that make the Goemate Jr. work. In my earlier post to this forum (see post # 39) I was disstressed that the update kit I had just received was not working and I had not been able to contact anyone in support. Warren from Geomate replied instantly to my post with contact info. From there it was a whirlwind of activity to resolve the problem I was having with getting my update kit to work properly. I am more than happy to say my Geomate Jr. and update kit are now working flawlessly. It seems all too rare in this day and age to receive such exemplary service. Warren and his team have all earned a huge pat on the back from myself and my family.

:shocked: THANKS AGAIN WARREN!!!!

Recently, I purchased the Geomate.jr and Update Kit from REI

I live in South Korea.

I expected the Kit would support the Korea or Far East Asia.

but, unfortunately, I found that was not. Korea was exclude the extent of Suppot Region.

It just only supports the Australloasia.

How could it be?

You said the kit support the other country outside USA.

Now. I ask you the when The Far East ASIA will be include in supporting Region?

When I will use the Kit?

I have second problem.

The Geomate.kr update program would not install in My Computer.

beyound 1 hr, the install program sustained the install progress. it did not acomplish the Final Step.

please, tell me the date of supporting the Far East Asia.

Been using the update kit on every run now... don't always use the GPS unit itself but to have it as a backup is very handy.

Been out many times with people who haven't loaded the run waypoints (and don't have a wireless Garmin GPS) / kids who "want a go" and .. bam. Turn the Geomate.jr on and.. there ya go. Follow the arrow.