Very unusual find

Tzulander

Hello peoples. Today was my first day of geocaching. My gps came yesterday, I loaded it up with local caches and this afternoon I set off to find my first one. As I got to within a few meters I saw some felled trees and thought they'd be a good place to look.

Sat on top of one of the trees was a hamster! I'm guessing some fool abandoned it after getting bored of it. I decided to postpone cache hunting and go buy a hamster cage instead.

And so at the end of my first day of geocaching, I found no caches, but I do now have a hamster called Geo! =]

Hello peoples. Today was my first day of geocaching. My gps came yesterday, I loaded it up with local caches and this afternoon I set off to find my first one. As I got to within a few meters I saw some felled trees and thought they'd be a good place to look.

Sat on top of one of the trees was a hamster! I'm guessing some fool abandoned it after getting bored of it. I decided to postpone cache hunting and go buy a hamster cage instead.

And so at the end of my first day of geocaching, I found no caches, but I do now have a hamster called Geo! =]

Hehehe neat story mate! Thanks for sharing!

<Ponders "What is the trade value of a wild hamster and what equivalent would you have to leave behind?" :D>

Edited by FoxMulders

Hi all, thanks for the comments. Bit of an update. Geo isn't a boy, she's a girl. It's also looking likely now that she's pregnant and that's why she was abandoned. I have a vets appointment on monday to find out for sure. If she is and anyone in the South West of England wants a baby geocaching hamster, let me know!!

What a great story!

As others have mentioned, HamsterCaching is a long-running joke variation of the more mundane forms of geocaching.

There are currently 4 hamster caches in the U.K. and, as the (totally unofficial and self-appointed) promoter of HamsterCaching within the U.K., I take every opportunity to encourage cachers to set hamster caches as I would like to see one in every county... eventually.

Sometime in the future, when you feel that you have enough experience at both finding caches and hamster husbandry perhaps you might like to think about setting the First Hamster Cache in Dorset.

Good luck to you and Geo!

MrsB :anibad:

The first hamster cache in Wales.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've been reading about Hamster Caching and appreciate how bizzare a find she was.

I'm not sure I want to put her babies into caches though :anibad:

I will need to re-home them though so maybe I could put a few hamster vouchers out there for people to find and claim a baby?

I finally got a decent picture of her tonight so you can share in her cuteness and see why I couldn't just leave her in the woods...

geo00.jpg

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've been reading about Hamster Caching and appreciate how bizzare a find she was.

I'm not sure I want to put her babies into caches though :laughing:

I will need to re-home them though so maybe I could put a few hamster vouchers out there for people to find and claim a baby?

I finally got a decent picture of her tonight so you can share in her cuteness and see why I couldn't just leave her in the woods...

geo00.jpg

Hamsters ARE cute but at the base are just a different form or rodent. Ig they feel like it, they WILL bit you but the good thing is just like any other rodent, they are edible.

;)

Hamsters ARE cute but at the base are just a different form or rodent. If they feel like it, they WILL bite you but the good thing is just like any other rodent, they are edible.

;)

Hmmm

bittsen sounds bitter: You been bitten, bittsen? :laughing:

MrsB

Bitter? Heavens no. I've never been bitten by a hamster. Mouse, yes. Rat, yes. Mole, yes. Rabbit, yes.... But not a hamster.

I've had pet rodents. A lot of them. I stopped keeping rodents as pets when I finally realized their cuteness is offset significantly by the fact that they are just poop machines sent on an alien plot to annoy mankind.

Great story. Have you found any actual caches yet or are you too busy hamstersitting?

:D