Harriman Sunrise Step Off (Saturday, September 24th)

polskikrol

Planning on doing a Sunrise Step Off this Saturday from the Reeves Meadow Visitor Center @ 7AM. (Sunrise is at around 6:48AM so we give a little extra time for anyone to get to the Visitor Center.) Anyone is welcome to join!

The following caches are planned for an early morning / afternoon hike:

GCH8P1 - Seven Hills Summit Cache

GCAEBE - Ramapo Torne

GCTR9N - Pete's Pick

GC1WNJW - 1. Pigs on the wing 1

GC1WNJX - 2. Dogs

GC1WNJY - 3. Pigs (Three Different Ones)

GC1WNK0 - 4. Sheep

GC1WNK1 - 5. Pigs on the wing 2

A shorter hike can be performed by only going for the first three listed caches.

I will be posting the trails that will be hiked later on this evening. Will also post another set of caches for an afternoon loop hike for those crazy enough to join me on that as well :shocked:

As promised... here are the two proposed Hiking Plans for Saturday as noted by (1) and (2) on the trail map.

f5786ef6-2eab-4d0a-97b7-bb803856aa9d.jpg

Definitely thinking (1) could be done in the AM and possibly (2) or a portion of it in the afternoon. The following caches are a possibility if we do the afternoon loop:

GC124VV - JJ's Jaunt

GCMGRV - Dater's Mine

GC3B83 - Mystery Cache_2

GC1XRW2 - Black Ash Swamp

GC1XRW0 - Black Ash Mountain (Omitted from trail map erroneously.)

GC1XRW3 - Overlooking Tuxedo

Thats a lot of hiking proposed... however, there are many options for loops depending on ones ability / time. I myself am planning on burning off lots of beer calories and will be bringing a camelbak with lots of water, snacks, lunch, headlamp, etc.

It was very nice to meet & hike with you, polskikrol! Thanks for organizing this and for encouraging me to do the entire morning loop - though I'm not sure I'll be able to walk in the morning.. Hope I didn't slow you down too much and you were able to do everything you wanted in the afternoon loop. Thanks again,

Bill

It was very nice to meet & hike with you, polskikrol! Thanks for organizing this and for encouraging me to do the entire morning loop - though I'm not sure I'll be able to walk in the morning.. Hope I didn't slow you down too much and you were able to do everything you wanted in the afternoon loop. Thanks again,

Bill

Likewise, the company is always good for lots of hiking... I tend to talk to myself like I was doing frequently on the Second Loop. Think I saw a baby bear scurry away from the trail about 0.5 in... finished all 6 caches with the last Blue Trail segment done via headlamp. Tracklogs to follow once I take a shower and finish my Cricket Hill American Ale :)

Harriman State Park Tracklog (20090926)

b477499f-3cec-453a-bd28-170a06f82173.jpg

Notes:

Green Tracklog: Started from Reaves Meadow Visitors Center at 7:00AM and completed around 4:15PM with wjgrun. Total Distance: 13.7 miles. 8 Caches Found.

Blue Tracklong: Started from Johnsontown Road at 4:30PM and completed around 8:00PM by my crazy lonesome self. Total Distance: 9.3 miles. 6 Caches Found.

I am quite beat and thinking about sleeping in a bit before heading out for some kayaking tomorrow. Would I do it all again - yes, maybe next weekend (in a different park, however)

Green Tracklog: Started from Reaves Meadow Visitors Center at 7:00AM and completed around 4:15PM with wjgrun. Total Distance: 13.7 miles. 8 Caches Found.

Blue Tracklong: Started from Johnsontown Road at 4:30PM and completed around 8:00PM by my crazy lonesome self. Total Distance: 9.3 miles. 6 Caches Found.

Wow, that is Jonboy and Haggaeus mileage.

Stay tuned for another planned hike covering Hogencamp Mountain, Fingerboard Mountain, and Bradley Mountain in Harriman. Tentatively October 17th or 18th. The following caches would be included:

GCJTR1 - Squealy's Little Bits @ Harriman State Park

GCH0QZ - White Bar Trail

GCJY80 - Surebridge Mine cache

GCJY84 - Greenwood Mine Cache

GC3619 - Bradley Cache

GC72D8 - Mine Is Yours

GCJ9EY - Hogencamp Mine Cache

GCEFA0 - Keep on Hiking

We would park off 17A near GCJTR1 getting there from Route 17. Believe the bridge is still closed by Little Long Pond for accessing the parking from Seven Lakes Parkway. If we have enough interest, we can park some vehicles on Arden Valley Rd to provide for a bailout point for those opting for a shorter through hike.