Mega Event in the North West?

muttoneer

It has been suggested that the Northwest of England hosts a Mega Event, sometime after 2011. We have some great places to visit, a very active caching community and some frankly brilliant caches :)

I've organised an open meeting for anyone interested in a Northwest Mega Event to discuss it. We'll have a real live reviewer coming along to tell us about what planning a Mega Event entails, as well as one of the Mega 1 committee who can tell us exactly what planning a successful Mega feels like!

Anyone who wants to attend is welcome, especially if you'd be prepared to take on some of the challenge of organising such an event.

The meeting is at Thelwall Parish Hall, near Warrington, on Sunday 18th October between 4pm and 6pm.

The coordinates are: N 53° 23.008 W 002° 31.415

After the meeting, at 6pm, there is an event at the nearby Pickering Arms, if you'd like some food and drink - GC1Z4BM.

If you're interested in being involved in a Northwest Mega Event but can't make this meeting, please get in touch with me. I'll let you know what gets discussed at the meeting and, if it is decided to organise a Mega in this region, what opportunities there will be to get involved :rolleyes:

Just to update you all on the outcome of this meeting, we had a good turnout and were able to go through the pros and cons of hosting a Mega Event before making a decision on whether we wanted to host one!

The outcome of the meeting was that we have formed a committee in order to organise a Mega Event during the summer of 2012. Now the hard work begins - fundraising, finding a suitable host city and venue, looking for accommodation, planning how to entertain our visitors... the list goes on!

I look forward to welcoming you all to the Northwest in 2012 :)

Not in 2012* ;)

I had to move it to pre-Olympics rather than Post because the Scots are back at school then, and I can't move it much away from the Olymics because that's when international visitors will be here. I'm just going to have to put the date out there (again) and just hope other people make their plans with it in mind.

*Totally up to the event-organiser/s of course. I don't think anyone can lay claim to a specific date; my Extreme Events have clashed with something else for the last 3 years and I don't imagine that'll change any time soon. I simply have to try to set events which appeal and hope for the best.

As Dan stated on the coin thread, it's looking increasingly likely that the NW & SE events will either be on the same date or consecutive weekends....not ideal for anyone.

As the SE Event is to be themed around the Olympics, what about a date between the 12th August.... the close of the Olympics, and 29th August .... start of the Para Olympics? Should still be lots of visitors from abroad around then

Just a suggestion ;)

When I suggested the 19th of August 2012, exactly 3 years ahead of this date, I was told the Scottish schools would be back by then. Without an international event to coincide (ish) with, I think the NW should be the ones to be looking at the May Bank Holidays or even Easter (although I know that could be a bit nippy for campers).

I had intended to reply to some of the points raised across the three threads over the last couple of days, but as a couple of posters (naming no names) seem intent on stirring up an argument (something that I have absolutely no interest in getting involved with) and have now resorted to making childish comments, then I think that it is best for all involved if we end the discussion here.

If anyone would like to contact me via PM to discuss any points, or indeed raise any concerns, then you are most welcome, however this will be my last public post on this particular matter as I do not want to enter a counter-productive slanging match with the Olympic Mega.

The North West will continue to organise a summer 2012 Mega Event and will now resume the low profile that we had hoped to maintain until Mega Wales.

It has been suggested that the Northwest of England hosts a Mega Event, sometime after 2011. We have some great places to visit, a very active caching community and some frankly brilliant caches :D

I've organised an open meeting for anyone interested in a Northwest Mega Event to discuss it. We'll have a real live reviewer coming along to tell us about what planning a Mega Event entails, as well as one of the Mega 1 committee who can tell us exactly what planning a successful Mega feels like!

Anyone who wants to attend is welcome, especially if you'd be prepared to take on some of the challenge of organising such an event.

The meeting is at Thelwall Parish Hall, near Warrington, on Sunday 18th October between 4pm and 6pm.

The coordinates are: N 53° 23.008 W 002° 31.415

After the meeting, at 6pm, there is an event at the nearby Pickering Arms, if you'd like some food and drink - GC1Z4BM.

If you're interested in being involved in a Northwest Mega Event but can't make this meeting, please get in touch with me. I'll let you know what gets discussed at the meeting and, if it is decided to organise a Mega in this region, what opportunities there will be to get involved :D

Hi Guys

More than willing to help out and support here..

So you might even get your second Mega 1 Com member at the meeting.. :drama:

Can't think who the other one could be :laughing: I guess a local to you ?

I think you could pull it off no probs...

MEGA LEGEND

:lol: