Snoqualmie Tunnel repairs

uxorious

yeah, I mentioned this in the last project APE thread here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230270

very excited for this as I've never been into the tunnel, not that a gate would have stopped me, but this will be fun.

It's not that it 'could', or couldn't, stop you, but that it 'should' stop you. At least in my opinion...

Of course it should, but it won't. It's being repaired, so no worries, but if it were to come down to it, I'd hop the dinky fence they have and run around with a flashlight for a few minutes. If these workers can drive trucks down the tunnel, I'm sure a fit 28 yo male shouldn't have any safety issues walking through with a flashlight. Pretty low on the danger scale as far as I'm concerned. I see your point, I'm just not the type of person to drive the speed limit, wear my helmet riding a bike and/or follow all rules handed down to me. Each to their own :)

yeah, I mentioned this in the last project APE thread here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=230270

very excited for this as I've never been into the tunnel, not that a gate would have stopped me, but this will be fun.

It's not that it 'could', or couldn't, stop you, but that it 'should' stop you. At least in my opinion...

Of course it should, but it won't. It's being repaired, so no worries, but if it were to come down to it, I'd hop the dinky fence they have and run around with a flashlight for a few minutes. If these workers can drive trucks down the tunnel, I'm sure a fit 28 yo male shouldn't have any safety issues walking through with a flashlight. Pretty low on the danger scale as far as I'm concerned. I see your point, I'm just not the type of person to drive the speed limit, wear my helmet riding a bike and/or follow all rules handed down to me. Each to their own :)

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. The problem is not really will you be safe, but what happens, if, something happens and it was determined that you were in the tunnel while it was closed looking for a geocache, which happens to be on state park land, placed with a permit. The state parks will likely look into that and might start pulling permits on caches in state parks state wide. In that case, your illegal actions brought a penalty upon all the rest of the cachers. I would not want that responsibility.

I made my finds up there weeks ago, any subsequent trips would have nothing to do with geocaching. Are you implying that any and all of my hikes are directly related to geocaching and that just because there are geocaches in the area, that's why I'm there?

I understand your concern and I would never jeopardize geocaching in any way for any of my own thrillseeking journeys. Sorry you guys took it that way, though I'm a little smarter than that. I was aware of the tunnel years before I knew about geocaching and was something I had always wanted to do.

Sorry for stepping on toes here, just putting my thoughts out there...

I made my finds up there weeks ago, any subsequent trips would have nothing to do with geocaching. Are you implying that any and all of my hikes are directly related to geocaching and that just because there are geocaches in the area, that's why I'm there?

I understand your concern and I would never jeopardize geocaching in any way for any of my own thrillseeking journeys. Sorry you guys took it that way, though I'm a little smarter than that. I was aware of the tunnel years before I knew about geocaching and was something I had always wanted to do.

I did not check out your finds list; I just read what you said. That implied, to me, that you would jump the fence to grab the cache. If I took that wrong, I apologize, but that is what it sounded like to me.

I did not check out your finds list; I just read what you said. That implied, to me, that you would jump the fence to grab the cache. If I took that wrong, I apologize, but that is what it sounded like to me.

My comment was directed more towards Moun10Bike than you. I know my original comment isn't the right way to go about things and I apologize for that, not the place for it I suppose. I appreciate and am thankful for the work that has been done in the past and presently, that allows me to make these awesome hikes and have a little extra treasure at the end. I grew up in the country and will always have a passion for being out there, but geocaching has added a little excitement to it and I wouldn't want any part of taking that away from someone who might not otherwise make the journey.

My comment was directed more towards Moun10Bike than you. I know my original comment isn't the right way to go about things and I apologize for that, not the place for it I suppose. I appreciate and am thankful for the work that has been done in the past and presently, that allows me to make these awesome hikes and have a little extra treasure at the end. I grew up in the country and will always have a passion for being out there, but geocaching has added a little excitement to it and I wouldn't want any part of taking that away from someone who might not otherwise make the journey.

Yep, your original comment states that you would simply ignore any rules and do whatever you feel like. I think that is bad form if Geocaching or if doing any other activity. I prefer to adhere to the rules governing any particular area so I will not risk causing the area to be closed to others in the future. Regardless of whether I agree with the rule or not. We are not yet anarchists in Western Washington. Most of us at least.

It's weird how everyone seems to know I love popcorn! :P

costanzaPopcorn.gif

Or is it just that they get out the popcorn when you show up???

(just kidding)

Actually I am rather an anarchist myself. One of those awful people who think the rules are for everyone else.

I was tempted to check out the tunnel when i did the ape cache, but didn't because of the danger involved.

They put up the gates for a reason. Not just for their entertainment.

I'm not interested in being the next on the list of (what is the name of that list of people who die of their own stupidity?) Oh yeah, Darwin awards.

The truck they were driving was safer because the danger in there is from large chunks of concrete falling from the roof.

You're still young and invincible. As you grow older you'll become more mortal.