GPS for laptop?

Has anybody ever tried to find GPS to download onto their laptop? Right now we don't have the extra cash to buy a GPS unit but we do have a laptop.

Anybody?

Just about any gps that comes with a usb cable should work. If you are on a budget, I'd suggest a Garmin Venture HC. It will come with MapSource. Install that and then download/install Ibycus USA from this site -

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/19/

and download/install nroute from the following site - http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=575

Has anybody ever tried to find GPS to download onto their laptop? Right now we don't have the extra cash to buy a GPS unit but we do have a laptop.

Anybody?

You will need more than a GPS software downloaded to your computer, you will also need to purchase the hardware to receive the GPS signal and convert that to something your computer can use. See the post above this one for some low cost choices.

wrks fine in car but have yet really understand the full features to help me find my first geocache

It is not really made with geocaching in mind, as far as actually "finding" the cache. The DeLorme software and GPS are used for street routing to get you close to the cache site.

Most certainly would not go thru the woods carrying a laptop searching for a cache! I download the caches to Street Atlas and my handheld GPS. SA routes me to the cache location then I use my handheld to actually seek the cache.

We now return this thread to it's original topic, sorry for the derailment...

Edited by sledgehampster