Cache owners option....

Haggis Hunter

I am finding that cachers are starting to post more and more spoiler pictures to my cache pages. My immediate problem is that they are actually posting pictures that aren't just spoilers but are also the answers to proof of attendance questions. These have been frequently to one of my earthcaches, to a regular that I had deliberately selected the cache size as not chosen, another that showed the terrain to a puzzle which gave away the location, and now one of my virtuals has a spoiler picture on it showing the answer.

So far I have been requesting the pictures to be removed and if they haven't been removed I have had to delete the whole log. Deleting someone's log just because of one picture, and especially when there are several good pictures uploaded can cause unnecessary angst.

A cache owner as everyone knows can delete any log on their cache. They can mark a TB or geocoin as missing from their cache, but as of yet they can't delete spoiler pictures without deleting the entire log.

So my request is, that can it be programmed so that a cache owner can delete a picture from a log on their cache. So that it can't be overly abused, when an owner does this, can a notification email also be sent to the log owner as well?

So my request is, that can it be programmed so that a cache owner can delete a picture from a log on their cache. So that it can't be overly abused, when an owner does this, can a notification email also be sent to the log owner as well?

Seems like a very good idea. I hope TPTB respond.

I'm for being able to delete a photo.

But...

I think it is a fine idea, as long as it doesn't also remove them from the member's personal gallery.

... If the photograph is still in the members personal gallery, and links back to the cache, it's still a spoiler.

I have to agree. At the present moment if the spoiler is removed, then it is removed from the owners gallery as well. If it doesn't get removed, then I personally delete the log*, which moves it from the owners gallery. So even if this is activated then it will make no difference as the outcome is the same.

*As long as a cache has been logged legitimately then I always invite the finder to re-log their find.

But who is to prevent you (any cache owner) from simply deleting my pictures, spoiler, or not, perhaps just out of plain old orneriness? My gallery is my gallery. It represents my geocaching history.

I can see your point, but it would be pretty rare that someone would be browsing my gallery to get spoilers on your caches, I'd think.

I'm for being able to delete a photo.

But...

I think it is a fine idea, as long as it doesn't also remove them from the member's personal gallery.

... If the photograph is still in the members personal gallery, and links back to the cache, it's still a spoiler.

If someone wants a spoiler bad enough to look through ever finder to see if they have photographs they deserve the leg up. That seems like more work than just going and finding it. Talk about an ALR :ph34r:

I too support the deletion of photos as long as they do not delte the photo from the gallery OR indicate anywhere on the finders log on the cache that there are photos.

Edited by baloo&bd

I agree with having the ability to delete pictures. New cachers that have found an unusual cache are so excited to share the moment with someone even when they don't realize that they're giving away the "surprise".

I send an e-mail first and ask them to delete the picture and explain why but if I don't hear back I will delete the log and let them know they can repost without the picture. But deleting their find still feels like I'm stomping on their excitement. Deleting just the picture would be great.

We reviewed this feature request the other day, so its implementation is not too far off I hope.

Good news. :D

I would hope this would be a seldom used option, but if the finder fails to respond to an owner request, it would be much preferable to deletion of the entire log.

For those concerned that their pictures might be deleted by the cache owner, save your own copy elsewhere. :D

But who is to prevent you (any cache owner) from simply deleting my pictures, spoiler, or not, perhaps just out of plain old orneriness? My gallery is my gallery. It represents my geocaching history.

I can see your point, but it would be pretty rare that someone would be browsing my gallery to get spoilers on your caches, I'd think.

What's to stop me from just deleting your log out of nastiness? This is why in my OP I have also asked if an instant notification can be sent to the picture owner, just like it happens when you delete a log, thus reducing the possibility of this facility from being abused.

We reviewed this feature request the other day, so its implementation is not too far off I hope.

That's good to hear :D Thank you for the quick response. :D

Can you drop a hint regarding how you might approach the issue of deleting (or de-linking) from the finder's gallery?

I don't understand the question. The gallery aggregates cache log images. If you delete one from the log it will disappear from the gallery.

Can you drop a hint regarding how you might approach the issue of deleting (or de-linking) from the finder's gallery?

I don't understand the question. The gallery aggregates cache log images. If you delete one from the log it will disappear from the gallery.

Yes, and that is the problem (I'm referring to the personal gallery, available from my profile, not from the cache page's gallery).

Now, if you could flag the picture as hidden, and just not display it in the cache page's gallery, and possibly even keep anyone but the picture's owner from linking back to the cache page by clicking on the picture in a profile gallery, that would probably make everybody happy (well... OK... I forgot that part :D )

What's to stop me from just deleting your log out of nastiness?

Groundspeak.

Groundspeak.

I think you miss the point? Whilst answering my question you have also answered your own! Which I have gone to the courtesy of highlighting for you, just in case you are unsure of which two questions I am referring too. :D

Now please excuse my ignorance, but what does orneriness mean?

Groundspeak.

I think you miss the point? Whilst answering my question you have also answered your own! Which I have gone to the courtesy of highlighting for you, just in case you are unsure of which two questions I am referring too. :D

Now please excuse my ignorance, but what does orneriness mean?

No, I didn't miss any point. If, as was suggested by someone else above, I were to receive an email if my picture was deleted, and if Groundspeak was willing to consider undeleting it at my request, I would have less of a problem with this. I think that you may be missing my point... my picture is my picture. My gallery is my gallery. Your cache is your cache, and if you don't want my picture on your cache page, that is your right. But it is not within your rights to delete a picture from my gallery.

adj. or·ner·i·er, or·ner·i·est Mean-spirited, disagreeable, and contrary in disposition; cantankerous

Edited by knowschad

No, I didn't miss any point. If, as was suggested by someone else above, I were to receive an email if my picture was deleted, and if Groundspeak was willing to consider undeleting it at my request, I would have less of a problem with this. I think that you may be missing my point... my picture is my picture. My gallery is my gallery. Your cache is your cache, and if you don't want my picture on your cache page, that is your right. But it is not within your rights to delete a picture from my gallery.

adj. or·ner·i·er, or·ner·i·est Mean-spirited, disagreeable, and contrary in disposition; cantankerous

BUT at the present moment I already have the right to delete your picture, which WILL remove it from your gallery. To do this though I also have to delete your entire log, which may include perfectly acceptable pictures and a very agreeable log.

Also, I suggested in my OP about the email being sent, it wasn't by someone else! I had already taken into consideration the importance of the feature not being abused, before starting this thread.

Anyway it's a moot point, as TPTB have already said they are looking at implementing the feature, which is most certainly a step forward. Even if it doesn't quite fit in with what you want, it's still better than what we have got.

Thank you for the explanation of orneriness, I looked it up online after reading your post and found it to be an American word. Amazingly it isn't listed in my dictionary at home!!

Now please excuse my ignorance, but what does orneriness mean? No, I didn't miss any point. If, as was suggested by someone else above, I were to receive an email if my picture was deleted, and if Groundspeak was willing to consider undeleting it at my request, I would have less of a problem with this. I think that you may be missing my point... my picture is my picture. My gallery is my gallery. Your cache is your cache, and if you don't want my picture on your cache page, that is your right. But it is not within your rights to delete a picture from my gallery.

Removing a deleted picture from your gallery falls in line with the fate of a deleted cache find, which is also removed from your geocaching profile when deleted. Furthermore, Geocaching.com isn't in the business of image storage, and anyway you've still got a copy on your local machine. I am open to brainstorming other feature requests in this vein, but let's not complicate what should be a simple fix.

Edited by OpinioNate

Is there any update to, if and when this feature may be implemented please? :grin:

I am still having to delete logs due to people posting spoilers for one of my earthcaches, this is despite clear warnings not to post the spoiler pics and that the logs will be deleted. I really would love to just be able to delete the offending picture. :huh:

.......... I think that you may be missing my point... my picture is my picture. My gallery is my gallery. Your cache is your cache, and if you don't want my picture on your cache page, that is your right. But it is not within your rights to delete a picture from my gallery.

Yes your gallery is your gallery so if your photo gets deleted from my cache just put it back up on one of your archived caches and it's back in your gallery. My cache page is my cache page and maybe I don't want a link to your photo there.... :) I think if this feature was implemented more people would think before posting a photo and the number of spoiler photos posted would decrease. I keep photo albums of my caching days, but find iPhoto to be far better than dumping them all into GC.com.