Harriman Sunrise Step Off (Saturday, October 31th)

polskikrol

Planned hike covering Hogencamp Mountain, Fingerboard Mountain, and Bradley Mountain in Harriman. The following caches would be included:

GCJTR1 - Squealy's Little Bits @ Harriman State Park

GCH0QZ - White Bar Trail

GCJY80 - Surebridge Mine cache

GCJY84 - Greenwood Mine Cache

GC3619 - Bradley Cache

GC72D8 - Mine Is Yours

GCJ9EY - Hogencamp Mine Cache

GCEFA0 - Keep on Hiking

We would park off 17A near GCJTR1 getting there from Route 17. Believe the bridge is still closed by Little Long Pond for accessing the parking from Seven Lakes Parkway. If we have enough interest, we can park some vehicles on Arden Valley Rd to provide for a bailout point for those opting for a shorter through hike.

Will post more information within the next few days.

Also, anyone interested in giving the Catskill Mountain 3500 Club a shot during winter? This would be to hit up the 35 peaks in the Catskill's between December 21 and March 21 via multiple loop hikes and possible overnights in shelters on weekends.

Plotting these caches on the trail map it looks like we would be exploring 5 different mines:

- Bradley Mine

- Surebridge Mine

- Hogencamp Mine

- Greenwood Mine

- Pine Swamp Mine

Would anyone else be interested? We can park another vehicle at Arden Valley Road close to where it hits the Long Path or by Tiorati Circle to make this a through hike.

I'll be away for the weekend, otherwise I'd be there.

I'd love to go but I have other plans for this Saturday. Have fun!

I think you two need to change your plans!

Harriman isn't going anywhere.

Friends coming to run NYC from the west coast won't be here again real soon.

Having lots of stuff to keep me busy..........priceless :(

Somehow my computer was logged in still as ThirstyMick from when she used my laptop a few weeks ago... odd as I have reboot a few times since then. Thus, ignore the previous deleted post.

Attaching the proposed trails for this weekend. As a reminder, access the park road via the West from Route 17 as I believe the bridge is out in one spot (will call the parks office today to confirm).

43c99e04-e25b-442d-9608-8f1805d44659.jpg

Remember there being parking near GCJTR1, if not, we can congregate by the Parking just a few hundred feet East near the Ramapo-Dunderberg Trailhead.

Yup, for parking you need to approach Orange County 106 from NY-17.

If I remember correctly, when approaching from the south, to get onto 106, you have to make a left at a light. Then at the top of a small hill, I believe there is a "road closed" sign if you try to make a right to get into the park.. I think it's been there for years. Anyone know if I'm remembering correctly and if so, can we just drive around that if we're going to the park to hike?

Bill

Edited by wjgrun

For anyone that is interested, I am also planning in returning Sunday for a few smaller loop hikes near Silver Mine Lake, Lake Masswippa, Turkey Hill Pond, and Bear Mountain. This would be about 24 caches...

For tomorrow, when I called the park office they said that Orange County 106 is accessible past Lake Stahahe going eastward to at least the R-D Trailhead. If someone wants to call them and confirm that would be great. Worst case we park near Tiorati Circle and approach the loop from the North.

I just called the Palisades Interstate Park Commission (845-786-2701). I asked about getting into the park from 17-A onto 106 - she said that's "partly closed over there". My map is a few years old, but it appears we can take Seven Lakes Drive north to Kanawauke Circle to get onto 106. Otherwise, parking up at Tiorati Circle is fine.