Is the Oregon 200 a good buy?

rasimon1

i have a GPS60 and want to go paperless i had heard the Oregon 200 was a good unit and was selling at a good price. Any imput would be great.

I need a new GPSr that meets that possible has the following

* paperless for geocaching

* Nice size color screen

* I would like to load a gpx file with all the closest geocaches and see them all on a map to see which is closest.

* I would like the ability to upload custom waypoints that I find on google maps maybe.

* Nice battery life

* rugged

* doesnt have to be touchscreen but would like it to have easy to use controls

Edited by rasimon1

In my opinion...

Its great, does all you want and i love mine :sad: a 300.

its does have some draw backs ie not quite as accurate as the Colorado but it is a bit easier to live with and 90% of the time gets to the right spot first time.

Easier to use as a satnav as well, which i use quite a lot to get me to the caches.

if you get one, us a decent screen protector like Zagg, this will protect the screen from scratches but not from impact as i found out the other day when it landed screen down on a stone. Not a scratch on it :lol: but a lovely star pattern beneath :o but garmin quickly and efficiently replaced the unit for a price,which was only fare as it was me that dropped it, but the back up is good.

What's your budget?

If memory serves, and someone with better knowledge can correct me, I believe the 200 has less memory and less bells and whistles than the bigger brothers (300 on up) have? Other than this, I think the accuracy and sat lock are the same as it's big brothers....and most any newer tech GPS!

Not sure how rugged the ORs are, but I know my PN-40 can withstand slamming to the pavement at 55 mph, being run over at least twice and then sitting in the ditch for a few months while it rains and pours on it. :lol:

I opted for the 200 as I didn't need the 300 extras, for the extra cash.

The PQ's seem to download a treat.

The compass works well (while moving).

Then if I need the exact coords of my position for a better hunt, I just tap the"satellite signal bar" and presto!

I have an iPhone so I find the touch screen a breeze.

The inbuilt mapping is lame, but that can be rectified..(do your searching)

I upgraded from an Etrex H to a Legend HCX and now have an Oregon 200.

It is fine, as Currykev says for the money it is great, I didn't want or need the extras that the 300 had. The limited internal memory is easily rectified by a large 4GB (or larger) MicroSD card.

The supplied basemap is pants, but as mentioned there are other solution, some of which are free (legally).

The accuracy is pretty good, in fact I'd say it is excellent. I was out caching with someone that had a SatMap and the Oregon 200 was at least as accurate, if not more so 95% of the time.

Do get a screen protector, as otherwise you will end up with a scuffed/scratched screen.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

i have a GPS60 and want to go paperless i had heard the Oregon 200 was a good unit and was selling at a good price. Any imput would be great.

* Nice size color screen

* I would like to load a gpx file with all the closest geocaches and see them all on a map to see which is closest.

* I would like the ability to upload custom waypoints that I find on google maps maybe.

* Nice battery life

* rugged

I've had my 200 for quite some time now and have used the crap out of it.

Haven't found anything that makes me want for more or wish that I'd gone up a model.

It is as accurate as my PN-40 and much more fun to use with the touch screen, larger screen, 3-D capabilities rock for mountainous regions like mine(works great with the new Garmin 24k topos), etc. The flexibility of having the profiles available for various activities (Geocaching, Automotive, Recreational, Marine, Fitness) has really spoiled me. The poor visibility with direct sunlight hasn't been an issue for me having created a profile for it (no shaded relief, land cover off). Never really noticed that there wasn't a beeping sound, lol.

Very nice with the free GPSfileDepot maps (especially the ones from Oz and Maps4U.

Hope this helps.

Be safe.

N

i have a 300 which people recommended to me, but wished i went for a 200 and a 4gb sd card instead. amazon do the 200 for under £200 quid if you are looking and the free maps mentioned above are certainly better than what ive seen on the garmin demo for my area, but still not the best (but for free they are excellent).

* Nice size color screen

* Nice battery life

* rugged

Someone sent me this site today it is good in that it will tell you all the differences between the different oregons

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

BTW, as a techie my rule is to try and go to at least the middle of the models (ie at least a 300 maybe a 400). I think that the bottom is to little tech and will be obsolete to fast while the top will be too much and have some gizmo you do not need.

I like my Oregon 200. It is the 5th GPS that I have owned. The paperless geocaching and touch screen features are truly awesome. I have an 8gb SDHC card in mine that I paid $15 for. I have the City Navigator map, TOPO 2008, and a few other free maps on it. I keep all of my pocket queries (32) on it. When I geocache outside of my normal geocaching area, I take the 8gb card out, put it in my cell phone, and move the correct .gpx file from a backup directory into the /garmin/gpx directory. Then, I put it back in the unit and get going.

A Garmin Oregon 200 can be purchased for $250 on Ebay.

Signal acquisition and lock tend to be an issue and concern for many especially in canyon lands and heavy tree cover. You won't have to worry about this with the 200.

I spent the afternoon watching the tube and checking out the new 24K Garmin Topos on my 200. It's snowing like hell outside and is totally overcast and, from inside my room, I have full 3-D and and +/- 11 feet accuracy on my 200!

Get one if you can, you won't regret it.

Be safe.

N

Signal acquisition and lock tend to be an issue and concern for many especially in canyon lands and heavy tree cover. You won't have to worry about this with the 200.

I spent the afternoon watching the tube and checking out the new 24K Garmin Topos on my 200. It's snowing like hell outside and is totally overcast and, from inside my room, I have full 3-D and and +/- 11 feet accuracy on my 200!

Be safe.

N

Nothing unusual for a high-sensitivity receiver, my PN-40 has a 5' accuracy 3D lock and it's on the bottom floor near electronic equipment with metal all around it. This doesn't speak to the bouncing of signal a canyon wall or high-rise will cause.

Be safe.

N

Nothing unusual for a high-sensitivity receiver, my PN-40 has a 5' accuracy 3D lock and it's on the bottom floor near electronic equipment with metal all around it. This doesn't speak to the bouncing of signal a canyon wall or high-rise will cause.

In my experience it does. This was also addressed in a previous response to a Nov. 8 post regarding the 550t and the PN40.

QUOTE(ubievol @ Nov 8 2009, 05:57 PM)

"i did not see this addressed in the links so thought i'd ask ...

has anyone done a comparison of the reception/sensitivity of these two units? if so, does either perform significantly better under suboptimal conditions (tree cover, etc.) or is it a wash?"

"I compared my Oregon with my PN-40 in some of the mountainous areas here (canyons, lodgepole pine tree cover) in CO and found no difference in their respective accuracy. Both were spot on."

This included lock as well.

Be safe.

N

i want to try to stay under $350 i saw the Oregon 200 for under that price.

Check REI, they have a sale on the OR300 for $250

$224 on Amazon is a pretty good deal for an Oregon 200, but $250 for the Oregon 300 would be a fantastic deal!

<I went to REI's website and I did not find the Oregon 300 @ $250, but the Oregon 200 is available at Amazon for $224>

Edited by jeepdelfuego

i want to try to stay under $350 i saw the Oregon 200 for under that price.

Check REI, they have a sale on the OR300 for $250

$224 on Amazon is a pretty good deal for an Oregon 200, but $250 for the Oregon 300 would be a fantastic deal!

<I went to REI's website and I did not find the Oregon 300 @ $250, but the Oregon 200 is available at Amazon for $224>

Sorry, the sale runs Nov 20th~30th, 2009 as per the sale flier in my hands @ US$249.99

BTW: there is another thread on this sale here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=235937

Edited by coggins

Be safe.

N

In my experience it does. This was also addressed in a previous response to a Nov. 8 post regarding the 550t and the PN40.

QUOTE(ubievol @ Nov 8 2009, 05:57 PM)

"i did not see this addressed in the links so thought i'd ask ...

has anyone done a comparison of the reception/sensitivity of these two units? if so, does either perform significantly better under suboptimal conditions (tree cover, etc.) or is it a wash?"

"I compared my Oregon with my PN-40 in some of the mountainous areas here (canyons, lodgepole pine tree cover) in CO and found no difference in their respective accuracy. Both were spot on."

This included lock as well.

Be safe.

N

You took a long way around, with quotes, to agree to what I said. :) This is nothing unusual for a high-sensitive receiver. I didn't say one was better than the other, merely saying it's common. However, having a signal lock inside a house is FAR disfferent that trying to obtain an accurate reading when signals are bouncing off high-rises or canyon walls.

:)