Sending caches to my GPS

Loulou7733

Hi all - I own a Garmin 60Cx and have been trying to do the paperless caching by sending the cache info to my device. I select the cache and then click on button "Send to GPS" and a windows opens and detects the GPS. Hit the command that says write to GPS and confirms the write was succesful. When I go to look for it on the GPS - I cant find it anywhere... Should it appear under Waypoints? Or - under Geocache? Needless to say - it does not appear anywhere that I can see it...

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks

That unit does not support paperless caching natively. Thus using the "Send to GPS" button will not result in all the cache information being displayed on the unit. It simply doesn't have that capability.

You can get some of the page page information to display on that unit by using Pocket Queries, the GSAK software on your computer with the appropriate macro to export the data, and then use Garmin's POI Loader software to load the data a Custom POIs.

Having said all that, if you are merely trying to have the Waypoint ID and the coordinates, and the cache name on the unit, the "Send to GPS" button will work.

If you aren't finding the caches under Waypoints or under Geocaches, I would ask how far away from your current location are the caches?

And have you tried searching for them on the unit by name?

Thanks Motorcycle Mama...

Send to GPS doesnt work... Cant find the cache - and yes - selecting ones close to home coordinates - nothing shows up though... I have been through all the lists (waypoints and Geocaches) and nothing...

Sadly I thought this GPS was all equipped for paperless - guess not... I cant even get coordinates and name of cache to appear...

Any other suggestions?

What is a Pocket Query?

When you say that the Send to GPS "doesn't work", what do you mean?

Are you getting an error?

If the plug-in is displaying that it has successfully written the data, then it's there somewhere on the unit.

Are you searching on the device by NAME?

Pocket Queries allow you to get up to 500 caches emailed to you in the form of a GPX file. You can set the parameters that you want for the queries.

Here's some additional information. If you are interested in paperless (or semi-paperless) caching, you will need Pocket Queries with that GPS unit.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

Upload from the 60 into your software manager such as MapSource or EasyGPS or GSAK. This will indicate if anything downloaded at all.

If it did and you are not seeing the waypoints when searching by nearest caches, they are probably over 50 miles. I think that is the min distance to view them on the GPS. Try search by name.

BTW, if you use GSAK, the 60CSxPOI macro is the closest to paperless you can get. The macro works for all the handheld Garmin models that support customized POIs - essentially, the units with external data cards, plus at least the Venture HC with the 2.5 unit software update or higher.