TB that have sat in caches for long periods of time

A Team Vallejo

I am sick of TB's that show up in a cache that are not there and have not been there for even years. Is this the cache owners responsibility to check there caches and mark them missing if there not there??? It's a real pain and quite disappointing to go looking for them and find that they are not there. And what about cache owners who want people to come to there caches and know the bugs are not there?

I am sick of TB's that show up in a cache that are not there and have not been there for even years. Is this the cache owners responsibility to check there caches and mark them missing if there not there??? It's a real pain and quite disappointing to go looking for them and find that they are not there. And what about cache owners who want people to come to there caches and know the bugs are not there?

I came to this game as a Geocacher. I don't care about Travel Bugs. I am NOT a TB babysitter. In my opinion, it is the TB owners primary responsibility to monitor the status of their TB. But, if someone brings a problem in one of my caches to my attention, I will take action. Please don't expect any more than that from me.

In a thread a long time ago I also took issue with a poster who claimed it was irresponsible to not move a Travel Bug. Again, not my problem.

I came to this game as a Geocacher. I don't care about Travel Bugs. I am NOT a TB babysitter. In my opinion, it is the TB owners primary responsibility to monitor the status of their TB. But, if someone brings a problem in one of my caches to my attention, I will take action. Please don't expect any more than that from me.

In a thread a long time ago I also took issue with a poster who claimed it was irresponsible to not move a Travel Bug. Again, not my problem.

Thanks for the help your part of the problem

What you describe is a fact of caching. It has always been that way and will always be like that. A cache owner has no responsibility to go out and check to see if TB's that are listed are there.

You have three choices:

1. Get over it

2. Learn to live with it

3. Die still caring

Although a fourth (as an addemdum to 1 or 2) is two margaritas.

You might not be aware that you are the 1,346,325 person to make this complaint.

What you describe is a fact of caching. It has always been that way and will always be like that. A cache owner has no responsibility to go out and check to see if TB's that are listed are there.

You have three choices:

1. Get over it

2. Learn to live with it

3. Die still caring

You might not be aware that you are the 1,346,325 person to make this complaint.

Well maybe they should make it part of maintaining a cache

You are going to have people that want no part of travel bugs. They won't verify a bug is in a cache or move it out if someone else does the verification.

When you come across these players just move on a another option.

Try to list in your cache log whenever you notice that you didn't find a bug listed as being in the cache. This will allows the owners to determine if the bug is missing and needs to be moved out.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You have three choices:

1. Get over it

2. Learn to live with it

3. Die still caring

Well maybe they should make it part of maintaining a cache

That's the day I submit my own feature request. The ability to lock my cache so Travel Bugs can not be logged into them. Travel Bugs are not part of my game. They are not my problem. I will not accept responsibility for them.

The only help needed would be for some personal counseling to be able to accept reality. This is a problem that will not be solved.

When describing this community I give it two features.

Not a Nanny sport. Noone is going to be telling you to eat your broccoli or how to take care of your cache other than make sure it is available.

It is slightly to moderately anacharistic. The forums always have someone who wants to impose some sort of restriction to meet his specific frustrations but goes down in flames everytime.

If you don't like the way TB's are taken care of stop looking for them. Just enjoy the hobby.

You seem to get frustrated when you go after a cache to get a bug and it isn't there. One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

This problem is solvable by you.

If you don't like the way TB's are taken care of stop looking for them. Just enjoy the hobby.

And some of us enjoy taking care of bugs. If I don't get the participation of the bug owner I move on to the cache owner. If I don't get the participation of the cache owner I move on to Groundspeak. I don't complain about the owners I just address the bug. At best I would prefer the bug owners take an active role in maintaining the bug they released.

If one day I don't have the participation of Groundspeak I'll just move on to other things.

I am not placing requirements on anyone.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Corollary to this thread, and etiquette question:

If, as a cache owner, I know that a trackable listed in my cache's inventory is in fact not present there, do I

(1) use my power as cache owner and throw the TB/GC out, by marking it as "missing"

(2) email the owner of the trackable, asking him/her to remove the item

(3) ignore the situation, and follow the earlier suggestion to have a Margarita or two :D

tnx

-wesi

If, as a cache owner, I know that a trackable listed in my cache's inventory is in fact not present there, do I

(1) use my power as cache owner and throw the TB/GC out, by marking it as "missing"

(3) ignore the situation, and follow the earlier suggestion to have a Margarita or two :D

tnx

-wesi

So why does the owner of the cache have the option to mark the TB missing? for nothing????

tnx

-wesi

So why does the owner of the cache have the option to mark the TB missing? for nothing????

Well .. this group here is big on etiquette. Not all the powers that thou hast been given are powers that thou shallst use :laughing:. As you can tell from this thread, there are cache owners who don't care about TB's. I'm sure there are also TB owners who don't care about cache owners, and will start a WHY DID THE CACHE OWNER MARK MY TB AS MISSING thread here. Then again, I'm sure they will start this thread whether my question gets answered or not, so you can consider my question unasked, the net result is likely the same :anicute: :anicute:

Because there are owners who do consider it as part of cache maintenance. And then there are those who aren't aware that they have the ability to move bugs.

Just smile and wave to the ones who aren't playing the TB game.

There is another player in the equation here. That is the geocacher himself. If you go to a cache that lists a TB/GC you should note in your log if it is gone. In the future I am going to make a note in my logs if it is there or not there for all my finds. (unless rushed by Muggles). After that I think that the TB/GC owner should be the one to remove the trackable listing if it goes missing.

Question? - How should a logger make it known that the trackable is not in the cache other than just log it so that it will be removed from the cache listing officially? I think the GCr can help. As I said above I think this would be more the responsibility of the trackable owner than the cache owner.

- I was looking at a cache listing in Fla and reading the posts and see that a coin there has been logged as missing many times, for over a year, but it shows as being in the cache as far as the listing shows.

Again some people just don't get it and they will go missing - I think I would go get that Marguerita now if I had the fixings :unsure:

So I see a couple problem's

1) TB's that are not in caches & That didn't get logged out of a cache. If no one tells the TB owner it is missing they won't know it is missing.

2)The other problem is that cache owners don't want to mark them missing because they know that people will come looking for those TB's and when the cacher see's it's not there won't say anything and move on. The cache owner gets another cacher visit and therefore the caches owner has no incentive to mark them missing.

I agree with the last post. TB's are part of the Game if you don't agree with that then go play somewhere else. It's up to everyone to watch out for the TB's even the cache owners.

Every time I go to a cache that lists a TB that doesn't have a TB in it, I cut one of my fingers off.

It's definitely annoying to be looking for a TB/coin that's listed as being there and it's not. I just do my part by saying (by the TBs name) that it is NOT in the cache when I do my "found it" log. I also go to the TB page to tell the TB owner it is not in the cache.

If nothing is done about it and I notice it's still the same a few weeks later I'll tell Eartha about it. She's already taken care of a few of them for me. Thanks :blink: