An idea to www.geocaching.com

Silen_

I like to solve the mystery caches and have an idea for an improvement on www.geocaching.com. If you have solved a mystery, and got hold of coordinates, or you know where is the cache. That would then be able to move the icon to the mystery cache to the point where the cache is located, and that we could highlight it somehow.

So if I solved a mystery in another city, I could move the icon to the place where the cache actually is, and that the icon was gold or a similar one would quickly get an overview of the mystery solved in other parts of the world.

Is this something that could be possible?

There's actually another thread that just popped up recently where someone is asking for something similar.

Basically, they want a coordinate checker on that page, and if you enter the right coords, the coords on the cache page get changed to the solved coords. Then, when you download that cache, you have the coordinates for the actual cache.

Personally, I see issues with that and don't like the idea a whole lot, but it may work for some.

In case it doesn't get implemented soon, GSAK does that very thing. You correct the coords in the program and when you send them to the GPS, you send the actual coords to the cache. I've not used GPX Spinner and can't speak for that program, but I know a lot of people use and like it.

I changed the topic subtitle a bit since the request does not concern cache review.

I know that GPX Spinner will do this for you. You could use this program to do it now as a work around. I think GSAK probably does that too.

GSAK does it, but not reliably. Spinner does it better, but not enough people use it. I've written my own app to do it for myself.

But the problem with all of these third-party solutions is that they require an offline database. Groundspeak seems to be moving in the direction of providing geocache information live to mobile devices, however. Being able to access the actual coordinates for puzzles you have solved (or multis that you have partially completed, or traditionals with coords that need updating) is in keeping with that direction. Requiring an offline database for some kinds of caches is not.

And how would this 'simplify the solving of mystery caches'? Lost me somewhere.

It will not facilitate the solution at all. But glance force will be much better. If I solved a number of mystery in a different city than where I live, I could sit at home and plan a route cacheing as I look at the map where the cache is actually located. And when you transfer these mystery to the GPS so you do not change the coordinates of the device.