OLYMPIC COINTEST

kini_ont

The Olympic Flame will be run through our little town today :)

So a cointest is a great way to celebrate, up for grabs is a “kini_ont Inuksuk Coin”. The Inuksuk is the symbol of the 2010 Olympic Games, ok now for the questions.

1 – What is the meaning of the Inuksuk? “Likeness of a person" I've always liked the traditional meaning of the inukshuk is "Someone was here" or "You are on the right path."

2 – Where are the Olympic Games being held? "Vancouver"

3 – Today’s (Dec. 29) Torch Run started “where” and will end “where”? “Owen Sound to Barrie”

4 – When and where was the first Winter Olympic games held? “1924 Chamonix”

5 – What games will be held from March 12 to the 21st 2010 “Paralympic Games”

6 – What are the names of the official mascots of the 2010 Olympic Games?

“Miga, Quatchi, Sumi & Mukmuk” Mukmuk is the mascot depicting the Fans at the Olympics"

7 – Community Celebrations will be held at a nearby community, where? “Midland”

8 – Ok time for the hard one, who will is the final torch bearer to the Community Cauldron Lighting ?

Good investigating Gatoulis - “Midland police Sgt. Doug Geffros Doug Geffros is a longtime Midland police officer who has dedicated countless volunteer hours to the Midland Minor Hockey Association, the Salvation Army food bank, Cops for Cancer and, most notably, the Special Olympics.

All correct answers as determined by me posted here will win, now I’m off to see the Olympic Torch see you later this afternoon, I’ll check those answers then or give you a hint (don’t think you’ll need any B) )

kini_ont

Edited by kini_ont

So a cointest is a great way to celebrate, up for grabs is a “kini_ont Inuksuk Coin”. The Inuksuk is the symbol of the 2010 Olympic Games, ok now for the questions.

1 – What is the meaning of the Inuksuk?

2 – Where are the Olympic Games being held?

3 – Today’s (Dec. 29) Torch Run started “where” and will end “where”?

4 – When and where was the first Winter Olympic games held?

5 – What games will be held from March 12 to the 21st 2010

7 – Community Celebrations will be held at a nearby community, where?

8 – Ok time for the hard one, who will is the final torch bearer to the Community Cauldron Lighting ?

All correct answers as determined by me posted here will win, now I’m off to see the Olympic Torch see you later this afternoon, I’ll check those answers then or give you a hint (don’t think you’ll need any B) )

kini_ont

1. Inuksuks (the actual plural is inuksuit) are stone figures created by the first inhabitants of the Canadian north, the Inuit. The Inuit have lived in the areas now called Canada, Alaska, and Greenland for thousands of years and inuksuit can be found in all these regions.

The word "inuksuk" is an Inuktitut word meaning "to act in the capacity of a human" and comes from the word "inuk" which can be translated as "human being".

2. The 2010 Winter Olympics, officially known as the XXI Olympic Winter Games or the 21st Winter Olympics, will be held on February 12–28, 2010, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, with some events held in the resort town of Whistler nearby.

3. Victoria, B. C. across northern Canada to the east coast and back again to Vancouver, a total of 45,000 km and 106 days - today is DAY 61 traveling thru:

Owen Sound, ON – Barrie, ON

Owen Sound, ON

Meaford, ON

Thornbury, ON

Blue Mountain, ON

Collingwood, ON

Wasaga Beach, ON

Elmvale, ON

Penetanguishene, ON

Midland, ON

Wyebridge, ON

Angus, ON

CFB/BFC Borden, ON

Alliston, ON

Cookstown, ON

Barrie, ON

4. The 1924 Winter Olympics, officially known as the I Olympic Winter Games, were a winter multi-sport event which was held in 1924 in Chamonix, France.

5. March 12-21 – 2010 Winter Paralympics scheduled in Vancouver and Whistler Canada

6. meet them - miga, sumi, quatchi.

7. Whistler is both a place full of natural wonder and active adventure and a cosmopolitan metropolis offering cultural treasures and endless shopping, dining and lodging choices

8. Thunder Bay’s Olympic Cauldron is lit by none other than Olympic Gold Medalist, Katie Weatherston

*edit for spelling

Edited by daveindeal

1. The inuksuk are stone statues made of large stones put together in a form that resembles a human being.

2. Vancouver

3. Owen Sound, ON to Barrie, ON

4. 1924 - French Alps, 60 miles northeast of Grenoble.

5. Winter Paralympics

6. Miga, Sumi, Quatchi

7. West Vancouver Community Centre Spirit Square

8. Olympic Gold Medalist, Katie Weatherston

Thanks for the cointest! Have fun at the celebrations!

1 – What is the meaning of the Inuksuk? - An inuksuk (plural inuksuit) (from the Inuktitut: ᐃᓄᒃᓱᒃ, plural ᐃᓄᒃᓱᐃᑦ; alternatively inukshuk in English or inukhuk in Inuinnaqtun) is a stone landmark or cairn built by humans, used by the Inuit, Inupiat, Kalaallit, Yupik, and other peoples of the Arctic region of North America. These structures are found from Alaska to Greenland. This region, above the Arctic Circle, is dominated by the tundra biome, containing areas with few natural landmarks.

The inuksuk may have been used for navigation, as a point of reference, a marker for hunting grounds, or as a food cache. The Inupiat in northern Alaska used inuksuit to assist in the herding of caribou into contained areas for slaughter. Inuksuit vary in shape and size, with deep roots in the Inuit culture.

Historically the most common type of inuksuit is a single stone positioned in an upright manner. An inuksuk is often confused with an inunnguaq, a cairn representing a human figure. There is some debate as to whether the appearance of human or cross shaped cairns developed in the Inuit culture before the arrival of European missionaries and explorers.

2 – Where are the Olympic Games being held? - Vancouver, BC Feb. 12-28, 2010

3 – Today’s (Dec. 29) Torch Run started “where” and will end “where”? Started 10/30/09 in Victoria, BC and will end 2/12/10 in Vancouver, BC after traveling nearly 28,000 miles, the longest distance ever traveled by the torch in a single country.

4 – When and where was the first Winter Olympic games held? - Jan. 25, 1925 to Feb. 5, 1924 in Chamonix, France

5 – What games will be held from March 12 to the 21st 2010 - 2010 Winter Paralympics, officially known as the X Paralympic Winter Game They will be held in Vancouver and Whistler

6 – What are the names of the official mascots of the 2010 Olympic Games? Sumi, Quatchi, Miga

7 – Community Celebrations will be held at a nearby community, where? This one is tough to narrow down since many communities are having celebrations. Whistler is hosting athlete medal presentaions, West Vancouver will have community celebrations all 17 days, Calgary, Surrey, Richmond, and others are also all having celebrations.

8 – Ok time for the hard one, who will is the final torch bearer to the Community Cauldron Lighting ? - I'm going to go with this although I'm not completely sure it's right! Olympic Gold Medalist, Katie Weatherston who is from Thunder Bay

kini_ont[/size]

1 – What is the meaning of the Inuksuk? - An Inuksuk is a pile of rocks in the shape of a person. Inuk means 'person' and suk means ‘substitute’ in the Inuit language

2 – Where are the Olympic Games being held? Vancouver and Whistler, BC

3 – Today’s (Dec. 29) Torch Run started “where” and will end “where”? Owen Sound, ON to Barrie, ON

4 – When and where was the first Winter Olympic games held? 1924 Chamonix, France

5 – What games will be held from March 12 to the 21st 2010 The Paralympic Winter Games

6 – What are the names of the official mascots of the 2010 Olympic Games? Miga and Ouatchi for the Olympics and Sumi for the Paralympics

7 – Community Celebrations will be held at a nearby community, where? Midland at 12:15 PM and Barrie at 6:00 PM

8 – Ok time for the hard one, who will is the final torch bearer to the Community Cauldron Lighting ? Bob Middlemiss of Barrie, ON

A stone monument used by the Inuit for communication and survival

Vancouver, BC, Canada

Start - Owen Sound End - Barrie

1924 in Chamonix, France (called "The International Winter Sports Week")

2010 Winter Paralympics

Miga, Quatchi, and Sumi

Today they will be in Midland, ON and in Barrie, ON

Bob Middlemiss will light the COmmunity Cauldron in Barrie

kini_ont

THANX FOR THE COINTEST!!!

The Olympic Flame will be run through our little town today :D

kini_ont

Let's see..... :D

1) An inuksuk (plural inuksuit) is a stone landmark or cairn built by humans, used by the Inuit, Inupiat, Kalaallit, Yupik, and other peoples of the Arctic region of North America. These structures are found from Alaska to Greenland. This region, above the Arctic Circle, is dominated by the tundra biome, containing areas with few natural landmarks.

The inuksuk may have been used for navigation, as a point of reference, a marker for hunting grounds, or as a food cache. The Inupiat in northern Alaska used inuksuit to assist in the herding of caribou into contained areas for slaughter. Inuksuit vary in shape and size, with deep roots in the Inuit culture.

For centuries, the Inuit people of Canada's Arctic stacked rock in human form to create the Inuksuk, a steadfast guidepost that provided direction across the vast horizons of the North. Over time, the Inuksuk has become a symbol of hope and friendship, an eternal expression of the hospitality of a nation that warmly welcomes the people of the world with open arms every day.

The Inuksuk is a symbol with deep roots in the Inuit culture, a directional marker that signifies safety, hope and friendship. Inuksuit are among the most important objects created by the Inuit who were the first people to inhabit portions of Alaska, Arctic Canada, and Greenland. The term Inuksuk (the singular of Inuksuit) means 'to act in the capacity of a human.' It is an extension of Inuk, meaning 'a human being.

The skill of building an Inuksuk is traditionally passed down from one generation to the next. Each stone structure has a purpose, such as pointing the way to a good fishing spot or indicating where meat is cached. Inuksuit are used as directional markers and functions as instruments of navigation and astronomy. The longest arm may point to the closest village where you will find safety. Some will point to Niqirtsuitug (the North Star). Inuksuit can serve as a spiritual symbol, a place of worship, a place of judgement and decision making or a location for celebration.

The Inuksuk is a symbol of the human spirit. It recognizes our ability to succeed with others, where alone we might fail. It reminds us of our need to belong to something greater than ourselves and prompts us to reconnect with our individual responsibility to invest our efforts today so that we may all have a better tomorrow. The Inuksuk conveys the importance of personal contribution and it reinforces our ability to commit to common goals.

The one that is the seal in the Winter olympics in 2010, is in Whistler mountain!

2) In Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada

3) from Owen sound to Barrie

4) In Chaminix in Freence, in 1924! (the name of the place sounds quite strange or bad in greek language! In case you are interested I will send you what it sounds like.... :) )

5) Paraolympic games! My personal opinion.... these games are grater!!! they show the power of the soul humans have!

6) Ok... for the winter Olympics, there are Miga and Quatchi and for Paraolympic games it is Sumi! there is also the MukMuk!! :) This is the Vancouver island marmot and it is not an official mascot but acts as their sidekick! :)

7) You mean today? I think today Midland community has a half day celebration for the torch run!

In case you mean generally the West Vancouver community centre Spirit square will come to life with community celebrations for all 17 days of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.

8) Hmm... sorry... you men the final final torch bearer? If yes, she is going to be a pretty girl and gold medalist with the Canadian hockey team in winter Olympics in Torino Italy in 2006, Katie Weatherston!!!

I hope she will be recovered and ready to play too! she had an injury and lost the season 2009 - 2010...I think! :D I am always interested in pretty girls! :)

I am a little confused with the last question....

do you want the last torch bearer who will enlight the big one and thegames will start, you want the todays last torch bearer who will bring the olympic flame in the Barrie city hall and celebrations will start there too...

If you need the second..... today a dream will come true!!! B) Bob Middlemiss had a dream of running in the Olympics – but the war broke out, and he flew off to battle.

On Dec. 29, he’s joining the Olympic effort to take the torch across Canada. At almost 89 years of age, he will carry the Olympic flame 300 metres through the city and light the cauldron at torch relay celebrations at City Hall.

He missed the Olympic games of 1940 (that actually didn't happent), because of the war, but now he will curry the spirit of the Olympics in his home town!!! I salute!!!! :)

An Inuksuk is a stone figure, built to resemble a human being. They were traditionally made by the first inhabitants of North American regions, the Inuits. "Inuk" means human, and "suk" substitute. They seem to be used as landmarks, for communication and navigation.

- Vancouver, BC, Canada

The Torch Run started in Owen Sound and ends in Barrie

1924, in Chamonix, France

2010 Winter Paralympics Games

Miga, Quatschi and Sumi

Midland and Barrie.

Not quite sure, I'm gonna guess Bob Middlemiss.

Thanks for the cointest and have fun!

Ok some have been answered, actually all but one correctly just not by the same folks :)

Gatoulis I agree with you, I've had an chance to meet one of the paralympic olympians and in my books he is #1 great person and an inspiration, no limitations for him :huh: I wish him the best and hope he comes home with gold but no matter what he is a winner to me.

The Olympic Flame will be run through our little town today :huh:

The word inuksuk means "something which acts for or performs the function of a person." The word comes from the morphemes inuk ("person") and -suk ("ersatz" or "substitute").

Vancouver, BC, Canada

Start - Owen Sound End - Barrie

1924 in Chamonix, France (called "The International Winter Sports Week")

2010 Winter Paralympics

Miga, Quatchi, and Sumi

Today there will be a Community Celebration in nearby Midland, ON, and another one in Barrie, ON leter this evening

Bob Middlemiss will light the Community Cauldron in Barrie

All correct answers as determined by me posted here will win, now I’m off to see the Olympic Torch see you later this afternoon, I’ll check those answers then or give you a hint (don’t think you’ll need any :) )

kini_ont

THANX FOR THE COINTEST!!!

Ok some have been answered, actually all but one correctly just not by the same folks :)

Gatoulis I agree with you, I've had an chance to meet one of the paralympic olympians and in my books he is #1 great person and an inspiration, no limitations for him :huh: I wish him the best and hope he comes home with gold but no matter what he is a winner to me.

'

In paraolympics, all participants are winners!!! Winners of life!!! that is why these games are greater! ;)

1) Inuksuks (the actual plural is inuksuit) are stone figures created by the first inhabitants of the Canadian north, the Inuit. The Inuit have lived in the areas now called Canada, Alaska, and Greenland for thousands of years and inuksuit can be found in all these regions.

The word "inuksuk" is an Inuktitut word meaning "to act in the capacity of a human" and comes from the word "inuk" which can be translated as "human being".

2) Vancouver BC Canada

3) On 29th of December the torch run started from Owen Sound and will end in Barrie

4) Chamonix, France in 1924

5) The winter paraolympics of 2010

6) Miga and Quatchi for the winter Olympics, Sumi for the Paraolympics! there is also a non official mascot, the Vancouver Island mascot called MukMuk and it is a marmot! As I said it is not official mascot!

7) I hope you are talking about Midland! :) it is near you! :huh:

8) that's difficult! Well... is it you or Doug Geffros from Midland flyers?? ;)

1. The word Inuksuk comes from the Inuit people of Canada and translates to mean "to look like a person".

2. Vancouver, BC

3. Owen Sound, ON – Barrie, ON

4. 1924 in Chamonix, France

5. Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games,

6. miga, sumi, quatchi

7. West Vancouver

8. Katie Weatherston

Oh boy... I just saw how I wrote the Chamonix of France!!! :huh:

Sorry for the spelling mistake! anyway... the thing I wrote about the sound of the city in greeK is for the right spelling... ;)

so... we are wrong in one question???

Chamonix 1924 is the answer I was looking for and you are the only one to answer 1 of the questions correctly but not the one everyone has missed. It will be the hardest to answer :)

What a neat cointest. I leaned a lot, thanks!

It is a monument used for communication and survival that is usually made of un-worked stones. Inuksuit (plural) have been used by the Inuit people as guides and markers for special places in the Arctic, marking trails, caches of food, nearby people, or the migration routes of caribou.

Such a marker is of considerable importance on a landscape that could be otherwise featureless or constantly changing because of ice and snow. These "signposts" were essential for survival and Inuit tradition forbids their destruction.

An inuksuk-like monument in the form of a human being is called an inunnguaq (an imitation of a person). These seem to have been a recent development and many inunnguat (plural) are being built by non-Inuit but are incorrectly called inuksuit.

Vancouver BC and Whistler BC

Started at 7:00 in Owen Sound and will in Barrie

The first Winter Olympics (I Olympic Winter) was held in Chamonix, France in 1924

The Paralympic Sports of Alpine Skiing, Biathlon, Cross-Country Skiing, Ice Sledge Hockey, and Wheelchair Curling

Miga, Quatchi and Sumi.

West Vancouver community centre Spirit square

Olympic gold medallist Katie Weatherston will be the final torch bearer when it passes through Thunder Bay on Jan. 3.

Wanted to share just a few photo's of todays events

This Inuksuk greets all visitors to Midland, today it greeted the Olympic Flame

007.jpg

The temp. -15c = a balmy 2 degrees but we were out and lining the route

002.jpg

They had quite the party trucks in advance of the flame here it rounds the corner

003-1.jpg

Close to the flame and the torch runner (runner in white)

005.jpg

Had to snap one more as they past by

006.jpg

Congratulations Gatoulis send me an email and choose your coin :)

Hello to all! ;)

WOW! Ifound the answers??? WOW!!! :P Thank you so much for the great cointest my friend! :D

This thing with inuksuks still exist in nowdays! Ok... not exactly human like but pyramids! they are not real inuksuks but it is amazing that people still feel the need to make a pyramid or some times a different design with stones in places they visited, as a memorial of their visit.... they was to show that they were there!!!

I made one too on my way Akramitis mountain where a cache is hidden! I even put my code name on it! :ph34r: I do not know if it is still standing but.. :D

WOW! Now the most difficult part!!!! So... I have to choose which color Ishall take from the 3 inuksuks! Oh boy.....

All 3 are so lovely!!!! I am mostly between the stone color (it is closer to the originals) and the geocolor one that looks like the Winter Olympics one.... Not that I do not like the camo color one, ok? :) All 3 are so pretty!!!

Oh boy.... :huh:

Well... I am sending email with my address and my choice.... :(

:D:D:( Gatoulis you make it fun to hold a cointest, in fact all here on the coin forum make it fun :huh:

And yes on occasion I have come across an Inuksuk along the trail to a cache ;) great way to know your heading in the right direction :)

And thanks to those who got a chance to participate before Inspector Gatoulis solved the cointest :P

But take heart the Olympics come only once in a while to Canada so there will be another chance to win some coins :ph34r:

I'm thinking hockey possible so do your research now on the teams attending and keep an eye out for a posting in a few weeks :P

<snip>

But take heart the Olympics come only once in a while to Canada so there will be another chance to win some coins :)

I'm thinking hockey possible so do your research now on the teams attending and keep an eye out for a posting in a few weeks :huh: [/size]

OOooooo....Mikey likey the hockey!!!

:laughing::D:D Gatoulis you make it fun to hold a cointest, in fact all here on the coin forum make it fun :laughing:

And yes on occasion I have come across an Inuksuk along the trail to a cache :laughing: great way to know your heading in the right direction :laughing:

And thanks to those who got a chance to participate before Inspector Gatoulis solved the cointest :D

But take heart the Olympics come only once in a while to Canada so there will be another chance to win some coins :D

I'm thinking hockey possible so do your research now on the teams attending and keep an eye out for a posting in a few weeks B)

;):blink::laughing: Inspector Gadget... emmm..... GATOULIS??? :laughing::laughing::laughing: