What do YOU take with you when you go caching

fasteddiep

First off, I've yet to go on my first expedition and am chomping at the bit. Unfortunately we are right in the middle of a massive snowstorm, so I will have to "patiently" wait to get out there to find my first cache.

I find this site very informative and it is not helping me be patient, as I want to get out there and find some caches.

I just wanted to see what you veterans take with you when you go caching.

Does everyone take a backpack? What do you have in the backpack.

I have my GPSr on it's way (got a sweet deal on a Triton 400 from Ebay) and will be out there "Looking for treasure" (as my 4 yr old calls it) in no time.

Thanks guys and happy caching!

It all depends. If I'm caching around town I'm likely to have my GPS, some trade items, water and perhaps some insect repellent if it is summer and maybe my camera.

If I'm caching in the woods in addition to the above I take anything I'd take hiking, meaning enough to survive a night or two outdoors, should I get lost or injured.

Edited by briansnat

Depends how/where I am caching.

Many caches are sometimes call p&g caches - park and grab. Usually need nothing more than a pen/pencil and you'll be back in the car in minutes.

For local parks or city caches or caches within easy sight of my Jeep, I carry a small shoulder bag with a few trade items, first aid kit, emergency poncho, pens, pencils, small ziploc bags, extra batteries, flashlight, string (small rope), spare GPS and a few misc. (see: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...;#entry3960600)

For bit further walks, I carry the same bag as above but add a water bottle and snacks. Make sure I have an appropriate jacket.

For anything further, I switch to a daypack from mountainsmith - the approach II. NIce big roomy daypack with lots of compartments. Same stuff as above plus emergency blankets, socks, mirror, matches, pocket knives, a few medications, hat, rain pants.

Ooooh man... let me see.

First Aid Kit.

Gardening Gloves (for the tougher bushes with thorns in them!)

hand sanitizer

Water bottle

munchies

sunglasses (easier to go through trees with protects your eyes)

Chapstick

flashlight

batteries

extra batteries

cell phone

bug repelant

sunblock

whistle

Lighter

pepper spray

scissors/cutting knife

extra pair of socks

hat/bandana/ beanie (some sort of head cover)

I think thats it.

I go prepared for anything!

A few times I've gone out fully packed and prepared - and left the coordinates at home :blink:

In addition to a lot of the above, I have pliers (actually, part of a multitool) and a small wand-type metal detector (no, I'm not kidding).

Get a bright flashlight for searching dark holes in bright daylight (you need more light in the day because your pupils are contracted due to bright sunlight). A 180 lumens light works for me.

think its just the snowstorm thats being waited out.. lol.

i take

GPS

PDA

Backpack with

Cache repair-

Spare logs (assorted sizes)

Quick Spare throwdowns (like when a larger cache is broken can throw one in it and keep a dry log till CO does maint)

Spare batteries

First aid kit

Emergency blanket

Candles

Multiple tools

Munchies

Drink (water or soda, i know bad me lol)

If puppy is with

extra water and dog food

puppy first aid kit (with pliers, exacto knife, steptic powder, battery powered trimmer, disposable shaver, antiseptic spy)

extra slip leash (for the random stray that may say hi with owner running behind)

and of course packing a sense of adventure helps as well as a good imagination :P

I mostly stay away from urban caches, so to cache in the woods, here's the gear:

Garmin GPSr

cell phone

camera

Camelbak Back Pack (filled with water)

camo bandana (keeps the sun off my neck)

sun block

insect repellant

first aid kit

leather gloves

flashlight

Leatherman multi-tool

compass and map of the area I'm caching in

extra writing pens and paper (to add to logs that are completely full)

"exchange trinkets"

SNACKS (caching is hard work and I get hungry)

wooden walking stick

Edited by rocketsteve

I try to keep it light. Aside from the stuff I always carry (keys, wallet, phone, etc.) I have a backpack with:

GPSr

notebook and pen

bug repellent

gloves

flashlight

swag

The gloves are for reaching into places where biting/stinging critters might hide. If I'm going to be out more than a few hours, I'll bring water and a snack.

Sometime this year I'll try a deep woods camping/caching trip. That'll require a few more items.