Differences in GPX 1.0, 1.01, and 1.1

madman1892

can anyone tell me the difference between the different GPX file versions? I know that Groundspeak is now including cache attributes in the 1.01 files that you specify in your profile.

Are there any other significant differences in the different GPX types? Are there any advantages or disadvantages of one version over the others?

thanks

can anyone tell me the difference between the different GPX file versions? I know that Groundspeak is now including cache attributes in the 1.01 files that you specify in your profile.

Are there any other significant differences in the different GPX types? Are there any advantages or disadvantages of one version over the others?

thanks

1.0 = no attributes

1.01 = attributes

A previous update delivered the equivalent of GPX 1.01 and broke many 3rd party applications. This was rolled back and now with this update you can chose which version depending on your 3rd party app compatibility.

Jim

As I understand it...

1.0 is the original format. 1.1 was a replacement in 2004..... The biggest problem is that GPSBabel defaults to 1.0 and if you give it a 1.1 without telling it, a mess ensues. As GPSBabel is the back end for most common programs, using 1.0 is usually safer. Not sure the exact differences. Maybe Mr. Lipe will let us know.

1.0.1 is "I guess" something Groundspeak magically created to allow attributes.....

1.0.1 is "I guess" something Groundspeak magically created to allow attributes.....

The selection box in the profile is mislabeled. It is not the GPX format version. It's the Groundspeak extension format version.

All GPX files from Groundspeak are GPX 1.0. Here's a snipped from a GPX file:

xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd
http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0/1 http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0/1/cache.xsd"
xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0">

So the GPX file is using Topographix's 1.0 format with Groundspeak's 1.0.1 cache extensions.

The GPX version written by Groundspeak is always 1.0, despite the erroneous labeling that's already been reported. Though a GPX 1.1 has been around for years, Groundspeak's extensions for geocaching are bolted onto GPX 1.0 and are incompatible with GPX 1.1. (This results in the "mess" hinted at above if you try to make a PQ into GPX 1.1 - they just don't mix.)

What's changed from 1.0 to 1.0.1 is Groundspeak's extensions. So what a commoner calls a "new" PQ is actually a GPX 1.0 file with Groundspeak 1.0.1 extensions. GPX 1.1 is not involved.

.....and are incompatible with GPX 1.1. (This results in the "mess" hinted at above if you try to make a PQ into GPX 1.1 - they just don't mix.)

What I must be thinking of then is exporting to 1.1 via GSAK. I recall strange results.

For interest sake, what are the differences?

One of the key - and incompatible - differences between GPX 1.0 and GPX 1.1 is the way extensions are handled. The Groundspeak extension upon which PQs are based is a GPX 1.0 style extension.

A few people have guessed at what the Groundspeak extensions (diff, hint, container, logs, etc.) might look like if they were recast in GPX 1.1 form, but since Groundspeak's own apps don't hock up GPX 1.1 it's a bit academic.

Just noticed that my Oregon now has the attributes listed on the cache info screen - even though I had GPX 1.0 selected as default on my account.

Have attributes been snuck into 1.0 files? Or is the site sending 1.0.1 files regardless of default?

Something Groundspeak did in the last update caused people to begin receiving 1.0.1 even though their preference was still set to 1.0. It's causing problems for a lot of Delorme users because the Cache Register widget doesn't like 1.0.1.

I really like that this function about attributes was added. I changed my settings to 1.01 and my PQ's and downloaded GPX files contain the attribute information when I check the files with notepad.

My problem is that I don't see anything about the attributes on my GPS unit. I use a Garmin Oregon 450 and I tried both transfer via GSAK and directly adding the GPX file to the Garmin GPX folder on my unit without any results. I checked for updates to my unit but I have the latest from WebUpdater.

Is it possible to change some setting or do I have to use a special firmware for this to work?

I really like that this function about attributes was added. I changed my settings to 1.01 and my PQ's and downloaded GPX files contain the attribute information when I check the files with notepad.

My problem is that I don't see anything about the attributes on my GPS unit. I use a Garmin Oregon 450 and I tried both transfer via GSAK and directly adding the GPX file to the Garmin GPX folder on my unit without any results. I checked for updates to my unit but I have the latest from WebUpdater.

Is it possible to change some setting or do I have to use a special firmware for this to work?

I use GSAK's Colorado/Oregon Export macro to load cache information into my Oregon 550t (scroll down to the last post in that thread to get the latest and greatest version). The macro inserts the cache attributes into a new dummy first log for each cache.

--Larry

What I must be thinking of then is exporting to 1.1 via GSAK. I recall strange results

That explains why I get a failure when I click that in GSAK and then try to load it into GE. Thanks for the help.

The screen shot confirms the earlier posted comment about the attributes being in a dummy first log. Note no icon before the attributes.

Very Clever. Those macro writers over on the GSAK forum are great.

Too bad Garmin hasn't come up with a firmware version for the Colorado & Oregon Series' that will display the Icons.

Can someone tell me why it takes the 1.01 version to get the icons to be in the first log? The 1.0 version has them as they come up in GSAK.

Too bad Garmin hasn't come up with a firmware version for the Colorado & Oregon Series' that will display the Icons.

Those icons would have to be licensed from Groundspeak.

I'd much rather have text than icons in the field, so I don't have to memorize what a couple dozen icons mean.

Before I did the lasted firmware update I used to get the attributes info on my oregon now for some reason I am not. I have made the change in my profile. Anyone have any ideas?

oregons never show attributes. the only way to get them is to convert them to text before you load the GPXs, e.g. through GSAK.

I know the last post was made several months ago, but I thought I would add a note for others who stumble across this thread.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450t - it's my first GPS unit, and I've had it for two weeks - and I had no problem getting it to download and display a cache listing with attributes from Geocaching.com with my account set for "GPX 1.0.1" files.

I have Garmin's TOPO U.S. 24K Southeast DVD, and it comes with a copy of BaseCamp on it. When I installed BaseCamp and the map on my computer (Windows XP-SP3), it also installed Garmin Communicator as an extension in my browser (Firefox v.3.6.18).

I connected my GPS unit to my computer with the unit interface set to "Garmin Serial" (Setup> System> Interface). Then I selected a nearby cache on Geocaching.com, clicked the button labeled "Send to My GPS," and a pop-up window opened in which I selected my unit. Garmin Communicator asked whether I really wanted the website to have access to my GPS unit. I told it "Yes," and the cache file loaded directly into the unit.

When I disconnected the unit from my computer, I went to the "Geocaching" profile and tapped "Geocaches" on the main menu (the button with the treasure chest icon). Then I tapped the button with the name of the cache on it. The map opened with the name of the cache on a button at the top of the screen. I tapped it, and got this wonderful listing on my unit:

5893666506_32870bc739.jpg

You can read the whole description on the unit by sliding the screen up the same way as you would slide a map.

For those of you who like the background I'm using, it is one of a series of custom background images available at GPSFix. Having a white background does help to make the menus, compass, and trip computer easier to read.

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion - especially for newbies like myself!

Edited by WVTopoFan

I know the last post was made several months ago, but I thought I would add a note for others who stumble across this thread.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450t - it's my first GPS unit, and I've had it for two weeks - and I had no problem getting it to download and display a cache listing with attributes from Geocaching.com with my account set for "GPX 1.0.1" files.

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion - especially for newbies like myself!

I'm not sure that it may not be adding more confusion, especially considering the topic that this thread covers.

As dfx has correctly pointed out in the previous message, the firmware on the 450 does NOT parse and display the attribute data from the XML in a *.gpx file - regardless of whether 1.0.1 is being received. Your screen shot doesn't show any attribute data. I'm not sure what you're seeing on your end that has you thinking it's there. BaseCamp isn't going to do anything with it, either.

Like dfx, I recommend GSAK to add the attribute data. Using a macro called CacheAttributes, the attributes are prepended as a 'dummy' log entry that shows all of the attributes (if any exist) in text form that are associated with each cache. Those extra logs are sent to your unit when you "Send to GPS".

BaseCamp isn't going to do anything with it, either.

Wasn't that added to BaseCamp v3.2.1?

As for the

"Added support for the Groundspeak geocaching 1.0.1 extension"

that was evidently added "For Internal Use Only". As far as I can tell, you can't still can't see cache attributes in Basecamp yet (nothing under Properties or in the Logs), and my export attempts indicate that it still has no facility to export any attribute data to an Oregon if you're sending caches that way (vs. GSAK's dummy log method).

BaseCamp isn't going to do anything with it, either.

Wasn't that added to BaseCamp v3.2.1?

As for the

"Added support for the Groundspeak geocaching 1.0.1 extension"

that was evidently added "For Internal Use Only". As far as I can tell, you can't still can't see cache attributes in Basecamp yet (nothing under Properties or in the Logs), and my export attempts indicate that it still has no facility to export any attribute data to an Oregon if you're sending caches that way (vs. GSAK's dummy log method).

Ah, that's why I asked.
Ah, that's why I asked.

Can't hurt. Wish I could find any evidence that there's some support in there somewhere. Downloaded it yesterday in hopes that good things would happen. I like the presentation of caches, and it's all there as far as I can see -- except the attributes.

I think in this instance "Added support for the Groundspeak geocaching 1.0.1 extension" means the program won't crash if you feed 1.0.1s to it. ;-)

Doesn't matter much to me, since my 62S doesn't have a clue about attributes either. The only place they are useful to me is in GSAK. And no, I don't want to use a macro that puts in a dummy log with the attribs. I need real logs when I am in the field a lot more than I need attributes that I almost never look at anyway.

And no, I don't want to use a macro that puts in a dummy log with the attribs. I need real logs when I am in the field a lot more than I need attributes that I almost never look at anyway.

I think you're under the misapprehension that the attributes log might be 'using up the space' of a real log. That's not the case. You don't lose a log when the attributes log entry is added (prepended) to the existing list.

I suspect one of the most frequently checked attributes in our area is "Winter Friendly" / "Not Winter Friendly". We have a lot of COs here who are pretty good about the accuracy of their attributes, and that one attribute alone can sometimes narrow a search area considerably, even in the summer. In fact, having that one bit of info at my fingertips in the field was what drove me to start using the CacheAttributes macro in the first place. Probably not so helpful to you there in SFO, but there may be something that is frequently used by the community that might help there, too. And sometimes, the info doesn't help at all. When the hunt gets tough, I take anything I can get!

Edited by ecanderson