Google maps broken for IE8 now...?

JF20938

I noticed yesterday that Google maps started to work fine on my IE6 work computer. Now I can't get them to work on my home system running IE8. Was a fix implemented for IE6 that broke something else?

The basic map page loads ok on my IE8 but the map is not within the frame and the list of caches on the lower right is empty. "Print preview", "refresh map" or clicking the "map size" icons have no effect. Strangely, the "switch to draggable map" feature within an individual cache page does work just fine.

Win XP, IE8, problem reproduced every time.

I'm running XP SP3 and IE8 with no problems with Google maps either on Geocaching.com or standalone.

Maybe it's just me then. Strange, it was working fine at home until a day-or-so ago. I've since downloaded Firefox and the maps work just fine on it. When I set up Firefox, I deliberately asked it to copy all security settings, shortcuts, histories etc. from IE8 - trying to identify if it was an IE8 setting on my machine. (Not a conclusive test, but worth a try).

I fired-up IE8 just now. The problem is still there but only via GC.COM - I can access Google maps directly, I can access a scrolling map by clicking the "i" symbol on a cache page's map but bringing up the full GC.COM Google map page in IE8 fails.

I do see 4 cookies blocked in IE8 (my security settings are on "medium"), including one that's related to a javascript (I think) from "loki.com" and one from "maps.google.com" where IE8 cannot find a privacy policy, so blocks it. I've never messed with cookie settings or IE security settings, so I doubt that's it.

Yes - I can just use Firefox because it's better... etc, etc... but I don't really want to have educate/explain to my family.