Didn't Sign Log but Logged it Online

SooMukwas

I am just wondering what the etiquette is for when someone logs a find online but when you go and retrieve the full log book from your cache, you see that they haven't signed the log book anywhere. Also, the online log sounds like they weren't even in the correct area either. Do you delete their online log? To note also, this same cacher made a find yesterday but refused to sign another log(stated in online log) but logged it online as a find.

Thanks

I am just wondering what the etiquette is for when someone logs a find online but when you go and retrieve the full log book from your cache, you see that they haven't signed the log book anywhere. Also, the online log sounds like they weren't even in the correct area either. Do you delete their online log? To note also, this same cacher made a find yesterday but refused to sign another log(stated in online log) but logged it online as a find.

Thanks

Could you provide a link to the post or cache you are referring to?

sometimes people sign the log with names that do not match their online logs, as well.

where space is limited, crashco or i sometimes write "flashco" in a logbook. we mostly confine this to our home area where they know us. once, though, there was a flap over an event cache that turned into a regular cache after the event. we had signed that logbook with the team name we were using at the event. since we had registered at the event under that name, the CO knew who we were, but there was some third party squawking.

so it's possible that your mismatched logs are not fraudulent.

if they are fraudulent, you have every right to delete them.

Thank you all for the info. I do not wish to point fingers at anyone by listing the caches or cacher until I verify via e-mail with them. Excellent info to take into consideration, thanks again.

You could ask for a picture taken at the cache.At many of my caches, I have asked for pictures at the cache or the area around and since they provided it I did not erase the log.

Occasionally a person will inadvertently log the wrong cache online. If you are SURE they did not visit the cache and sign the cache log I would delete the log.

oh, goodness, that's happened to me, too!

very embarrassing.

Hahahahah...

This happened to me three (also) B) .

Mine was a themed cache that most get a kick out of and usually mention the theme. While on a caching run through the area, one cacher posted the log and contents were soaked and moldy, etc., along with a "NM". They had also posted a photo of nearby scenery, but the scenery was of a cache further along on their route, a site where the cache has been in such a state for all of the past year.

Of course I zipped right out to check it full well knowing it (mine) was probably mislogged as the other -- it was.

An email to the posting cacher promptly resolved it and they changed their postings. It is too bad though, the other cache with multiple "NM" logs still hasn't been repaired/replaced. :D

So... it does happen occasionally.

I've received a number of logs such as this. In a few cases the finders were logging the wrong cache. In others they were completely bogus logs.

It's usually easy to tell the difference. If it happens once, it is likely a mistake. Bogus loggers on the other hand tend to log a bunch at a time or develop a pattern of "forgetting a pencil" or writing logs that don't seem to accurately describe the cache.

If it appears to be a mistake I will contact the logger because I'm sure he wants to log the correct cache. If it appears to be a bogus log I delete it.

I've received a number of logs such as this. In a few cases the finders were logging the wrong cache. In others they were completely bogus logs.

It's usually easy to tell the difference. If it happens once, it is likely a mistake. Bogus loggers on the other hand tend to log a bunch at a time or develop a pattern of "forgetting a pencil" or writing logs that don't seem to accurately describe the cache.

If it appears to be a mistake I will contact the logger because I'm sure he wants to log the correct cache. If it appears to be a bogus log I delete it.

I'm with Brian on this one

Thanks

The guidelines for cache maintenance state "Delete any logs that appear bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements."

Do these logs appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements? If so then as the cache owner you must delete them as part of your cache maintenace duties.

The question that isn't answered is whether or not failure to sign the physical log makes an online log bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within stated requirements. Some cachers believe that posting a find online without signing the log is not within the stated requirements and quote all manner of "rules", guidelines, and FAQ to show that signing the physical logbook is a requirement. Others, I would say most, believe that strict sign the log in order to log a find online policies are not keeping with the spirit of geocaching as a fun light activitiy. There are many reasons for not signing the log - forgetting a pencil, the log is wet, the lid on the container is stuck, or just forgot. For something that is supposed to be a fun recreational activity, it doesn't seem reasonable to be heavy handed and go about checking log books for signatures and deleting the online log of someone who actually found the cache because they didn't sign the log for some reason. Some cache owners even go farther and allow people to log a find online if the only found the remains of a cache that had be destroyed, or if they saw the cache but were unable to retrieve it for some reason. There are even cache owners who will allow a find if the cache is missing as long as you were searching in the correct area.

To me a bogus or counterfeit log is one where someone sits at home and post "found it" logs online for caches they never even went to look for. People who do this generally log many caches each day over a period of time. If I were to suspect a bogus log I would look to see what other caches this person has logged. There will usually be a pattern that seems suspicious. A few cache owners checking physical logs will determine for sure that person has not been to these caches. At that time I would delete their online log. People who log bogus logs will generally get bored with it and stop after a few days. There is no advantage gained in logging bogus finds despite what some people may believe. Sometimes, Groundspeak will help out by banning these accounts.

Edited by tozainamboku

There has only been one cache that I felt I could not sign the log book as it appeared to be completely water-logged (pun not intended). Instead I took a photo of my Mumfred caching avatar with the physical cache container and posted it with my found log.

So far the CO seems to be okay with it.

Oddly someone did sign the cache log the same day.

The Log

Edited by lornix

I logged a cache on line but didn't sign the cache log once, and said as much in my online posting. In this case I saw the cache, moved it with my foot to verify that yes indeed it was the cache, but a Wally World security guard sitting right near me giving me the eye prevented me from making the grab (it was one of those fake electrical covers on a switch box). Of course the CO didn't believe me and sent an email asking me to describe in detail what the cache looked like. My log didn't get deleted, and I didn't mind verifying that yes, I was actually there. Some people take numbers seriously, some don't - to me it's the hunt, not the numbers.

Thanks

I can appreciate the "luvy duvy" philosophies involved in geocaching in general, but when it comes down to your individual situation, was there anything in the log that made you say: "if he found my cache, why would he say that?" could it be that he said "SL" in his log when he obviously didn't or perhaps describe some feature that was not at GZ?

Edited by Flintstone5611

Thanks

I can appreciate the "luvy duvy" philosophies involved in geocaching in general, but when it comes down to your individual situation, was there anything in the log that made you say: "if he found my cache, why would he say that?" could it be that he said "SL" in his log when he obviously didn't or perhaps describe some feature that was not at GZ?

Though I shouldn't really care how some other cacher wants to play the game, when they signed my cache log online, they put, "Quick find once the parking lot sweeper left", but, the cache is not in a parking lot nor is it visible from the parking lot nearby. That is all the online log said. They said nothing about being unable to sign the log sheet. Also, IF it was in a parking lot, they state that they waited until the sweeper left to make the find, but then did not sign it? Why wait for the sweeper to leave at all then?

Its just really fishy to me. What really made me think about this long and hard even more is when they refused to sign someone else's cache log sheet because they felt the cache was being disrespectful, but they still logged it online.

Though I shouldn't really care how some other cacher wants to play the game, when they signed my cache log online, they put, "Quick find once the parking lot sweeper left", but, the cache is not in a parking lot nor is it visible from the parking lot nearby. That is all the online log said. They said nothing about being unable to sign the log sheet. Also, IF it was in a parking lot, they state that they waited until the sweeper left to make the find, but then did not sign it? Why wait for the sweeper to leave at all then?

Its just really fishy to me. What really made me think about this long and hard even more is when they refused to sign someone else's cache log sheet because they felt the cache was being disrespectful, but they still logged it online.

I would delete that one with no qualms.

Of course, I'd also delete baja_Traveler's log. Part of the challenge is getting the cache. He saw it, but did not have it. Didn't make any attempt to sign the log. Not a find in my book.

Edited by Harry Dolphin