How to handle not enough PQs available for 2 wk trip?

I have a series of PQs I run once a month to create a GSAK database for caches in MA/RI/CT because I live near their intersection. That along with a few other PQs takes up about 35 PQ.

We'll be taking a 2 wk road trip this year. Last night I created 1 "caching along a route" filtered down the distance from route, diff & terr, active only & other criteria, and 500 caches only get me about 400 miles on the road. B)

Obviously, I've not going to have enough PQs available to me unless I start deleting the onces I run every month for my home area. :laughing:

I could run the 5 I have left. Delete those & create 5 more, and so on until I have the whole trip, but then I can only run each once & won't have updates.

We take a laptop with us loaded with GSAK, Garmin Mapsource maps & nRoute. And a PDA.

I don't have a cell phone with GPS capability nor do I want to have to go buy one.

I could buy another $30 membership for 40 more PQs I guess. ;)

There will be other cachers on parts of the trip, but I know its against the rules to trade PQs data.

I managed 2 yrs ago for 2 wks in CA with the PQs I had, but with more & more caches exploding everywhere, it just gets harder & harder for long trips.

What do people do in such a case?

If I have a PQ that does not get used all the time I dump it and set it back up when it is needed. If you have 35 PQs and 10 have not been used (you have not gone caching in that area) in a couple months then just drop them. Yes it hurts but it works!

I thought of dropping RI which is only 3 PQs. And CT since the 1/2 of the state that I run is only 6 PQs. That would buy me 9 more.

If there is no other way, that's what I'll have to do.

I was just wondering if others had found something else I hadn't thought of. Never hurts to ask.

Well, you could get another account and just do the $3 upgrade for a month.

... snip

The monthly membership is no longer available.

However, you can get a 3 month membership for $10.

Ok, now that's not a bad idea.

I run my home PQs by date placed, but not the trip ones. Those will probably be all from "caching along a route" for the many areas we will be visiting or passing through.

The 3 month membership would allow me to update them again.

You know - you don't have to save those PQs - run them to get the data you need for your trip without saving them. I do it all the time.

Yes, I fully realize that. Perhaps you didn't read my original post correctly. I save my 35 area PQs & run them every month. The 5 remaining ones aren't enough for a 2 wk road trip. I too take short weekend trips, and day trips, run those PQs once & delete.

The ones for the trip, I would like to run & possibly re-run a couple of times before we go if at all possible. Or even have then run again during the trip. I've done this before for other 2 week road trips. This is the first time that the explosion of caches has put a damper in things. A 500 cache limit used to get me lets say 1000 miles of caching along a road for instance. Just an example. Now, 500 caches gets you maybe 400 miles. Even with filtering down the radius along road, diff & terr & everything else.

I think I like the suggestion of 2nd account & upgrade for $10 3 month membership.

... snip

If I do a 2nd account with a 3 month membership, and then allow it to expire, can I upgrade that account for another 3 months lets say a year from now for another trip? Or is it once its expired, its expired for good.

Edited by wandering4cache

... snip

If I do a 2nd account with a 3 month membership, and then allow it to expire, can I upgrade that account for another 3 months lets say a year from now for another trip? Or is it once its expired, its expired for good.

You can upgrade it again any time you want. GS is always happy to take your money.

Sounds like you're taking a 2 week cache run, as opposed to a real vacation. I always load my GPSr up with where we're going, but am usually too busy doing other things to go caching very much. Hope you solve you issue :o

I don't know, a two week cache run does sound like a vacation :laughing:

You know - you don't have to save those PQs - run them to get the data you need for your trip without saving them. I do it all the time.

Yes, I fully realize that. Perhaps you didn't read my original post correctly. I save my 35 area PQs & run them every month. The 5 remaining ones aren't enough for a 2 wk road trip. I too take short weekend trips, and day trips, run those PQs once & delete.

The ones for the trip, I would like to run & possibly re-run a couple of times before we go if at all possible. Or even have then run again during the trip. I've done this before for other 2 week road trips. This is the first time that the explosion of caches has put a damper in things. A 500 cache limit used to get me lets say 1000 miles of caching along a road for instance. Just an example. Now, 500 caches gets you maybe 400 miles. Even with filtering down the radius along road, diff & terr & everything else.

I think I like the suggestion of 2nd account & upgrade for $10 3 month membership.

I still don't get the issue - it takes me about 5 minutes to set the route and PQ options - another 5 and I have the data. Rerun it?? why?? Do it in the day or two or three before you leave - should have all the caches you need.

If your trip will mostly be caches along a route, you can create all the routes and save them as long as you like. Create a PQ from 5, run and delete them. You still have the route and can just create another PQ from the route when you want to run it again later on. It's pretty quick to create the PQ from a route you already have created and saved.

Edited by nittany dave

Mostly I cache with Magellan Meridian Platinums and use a Sony Clie' PDA ( using Plucker )......both use memory cards.

I take trips accross the U.S. which take over a month and require dozens of PQ's.......the cards on the above units will hold almost an infinate number of caches contained in dozens of files. Once 40 PQ's are created I can load them on both devices and my hard drive and then delete them from my PQ list and create 40 more, etc.

I can travel the U.S. for months and not need the internet or even a computer.........you just can't do this with newer units ( and don't even get me started on the mapping......I have a Mapsend program I got for $20 and have used it to put maps on 10 of my Magellans......around the country the maps still compare favorably with the maps on 2 new Garmins)......with the best case, screen-size, buttons, and electronic compass you can buy I think the Platinum is still the best GPS for caching.

One of the main problems with newer units, aside from maps and electronic compasses, is when you travel you need to be teethered to a computer.

I can travel the U.S. for months and not need the internet or even a computer.........you just can't do this with newer units

Sure you can. Using Garmin's POI loader you can put thousands of caches on most newer Garmin units.

The DeLorme PN40 now has a file system similar to Magellan's where you can load as many files of up to 1,000 caches each as your SD card will fit, which means a LOT.

Edited by briansnat

Sounds like you're taking a 2 week cache run, as opposed to a real vacation. I always load my GPSr up with where we're going, but am usually too busy doing other things to go caching very much. Hope you solve you issue :o

Can you give me some advise on how to convince my wife of that? :surprise:

Take her to GeoWoodstock or any mega-event. Because that's what we are going for this vacation. We did 2 wks in CA also for GW6. Lots of scenery out west we don't have here in the east. In this case, I'm the wife, taking the husband. :o

See, now there is your problem, Ed.
The 5 remaining ones aren't enough for a 2 wk road trip. I too take short weekend trips, and day trips, run those PQs once & delete.

I don't get it. I'd think that, unless you're leaving in the morning, that even 1 available PQ would be enough for the trip. Run once, load the data, move the coords, run again, load the data, later, rinse, repeat.

Just don't share them with your other account! :laughing: Edited by knowschad

I have a series of PQs I run once a month to create a GSAK database for caches in MA/RI/CT because I live near their intersection. That along with a few other PQs takes up about 35 PQ.

We'll be taking a 2 wk road trip this year. Last night I created 1 "caching along a route" filtered down the distance from route, diff & terr, active only & other criteria, and 500 caches only get me about 400 miles on the road. :D

Obviously, I've not going to have enough PQs available to me unless I start deleting the onces I run every month for my home area. :D

I could run the 5 I have left. Delete those & create 5 more, and so on until I have the whole trip, but then I can only run each once & won't have updates.

We take a laptop with us loaded with GSAK, Garmin Mapsource maps & nRoute. And a PDA.

I don't have a cell phone with GPS capability nor do I want to have to go buy one.

I could buy another $30 membership for 40 more PQs I guess. :ph34r:

There will be other cachers on parts of the trip, but I know its against the rules to trade PQs data.

I managed 2 yrs ago for 2 wks in CA with the PQs I had, but with more & more caches exploding everywhere, it just gets harder & harder for long trips.

As rude as you are to me in the other forum, I'm not sure that I should help you, but I'll try anyway.

The first thing that I would do is make sure that you are running your current PQs efficiently:

1. I would not run my PQs by state. I would run them by distance from a certain point (or points). I make sure that this distance is realistic. It is the area that I could conceivably cache on a whim. PQs for cache trips outside this area can easily be grabbed on demand, as previously discussed.
  2. I would run them by 'placed date' so I could maximize each PQ without any overlap.
  3. I would refine the PQs to exclude caches that I typically have no interest in looking for. For some people, this means easy micros would be out. For others, difficult multis and puzzles would be shown the door. Some sort out certain sizes or types by terrain. You know what you like and what you don't.
  4. I schedule no more than four of these queries to run per day. That way I always have 'room' for an on demand query.

I similarly refine my route queries.

1. I minimize the distance to only the amount that I am realistically going to be willing to deviate from my course. I am not going to look for those caches that are more than half a mile or so from the interstate, so I don't need them in my query.
  2. Like most people, I cache differently while I am on a road trip than when I am caching in my area. Therefore, I refine my PQs to get rid of those caches that I am not interested in. 4/4 puzzles on a road trip? I think not.

Also, you might want to consider where you will be bedding down each night. If you snag a room in a hotel that offers WiFi, you will be able to easily update your data based on your changing needs and desires.

I recently took a 1500+ mile road trip, and I think I handled my PQs pretty well. I wasn't able to take a laptop with me, so I had to load everything into my DeLorme PN-40. I did a PQ for each of the major places we planned to go. The bulk of our driving was on I-70 going through Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois. I used caches along a route and figured out how to split the route up to get full coverage. Then I used Topo USA 8 to pull in the PQs and export them to GPX files on the PN-40 that I could swap between on the road. The only time I was somewhere that I didn't have coverage for but wanted it was in Sedona, Arizona. That's because I didn't know we were going there, but I was able to get online and get a set of coordinates for a cache and manually enter them.

I ended up with a total of 12 GPX files for the trip. This was primarily a sight-seeing trip and not a Geocaching trip, though.

We'll be taking a 2 wk road trip this year. Last night I created 1 "caching along a route" filtered down the distance from route, diff & terr, active only & other criteria, and 500 caches only get me about 400 miles on the road. :unsure:

Obviously, I've not going to have enough PQs available to me unless I start deleting the onces I run every month for my home area. :anibad:

I could buy another $30 membership for 40 more PQs I guess. :unsure:

As rude as you are to me in the other forum, I'm not sure that I should help you, but I'll try anyway.

The first thing that I would do is make sure that you are running your current PQs efficiently:

1. I would not run my PQs by state. I would run them by distance from a certain point (or points). I make sure that this distance is realistic. It is the area that I could conceivably cache on a whim. PQs for cache trips outside this area can easily be grabbed on demand, as previously discussed.
  2. I would run them by 'placed date' so I could maximize each PQ without any overlap.
  3. I would refine the PQs to exclude caches that I typically have no interest in looking for. For some people, this means easy micros would be out. For others, difficult multis and puzzles would be shown the door. Some sort out certain sizes or types by terrain. You know what you like and what you don't.
  4. I schedule no more than four of these queries to run per day. That way I always have 'room' for an on demand query.

I similarly refine my route queries.

1. I minimize the distance to only the amount that I am realistically going to be willing to deviate from my course. I am not going to look for those caches that are more than half a mile or so from the interstate, so I don't need them in my query.
  2. Like most people, I cache differently while I am on a road trip than when I am caching in my area. Therefore, I refine my PQs to get rid of those caches that I am not interested in. 4/4 puzzles on a road trip? I think not.

Also, you might want to consider where you will be bedding down each night. If you snag a room in a hotel that offers WiFi, you will be able to easily update your data based on your changing needs and desires.

One addition I would make to this is.

The day before you leave, run a PQ for caches placed within the last week for the largest area you can based on the centre point of your road trip. This way you can make sure you have the latest list of caches.

W4C, I think I remember you saying you use Firefox and Greasemonkey, so you can can install an "auto form filler." There might be add-ons for other browsers, but I'm not sure.

Basically, when you're in the edit screen for your PQ - the place where you pick cache types, ratings & such - you tell the add-on to save all that info. Then you delete that PQ. :lol:

Keep doing that for the PQs that you don't need right then. When you save the info to the form, you can save the form with any name that you want, so it could be like MA01, MA02, MA03 and so on.

Then, create the PQs with the info you want for the trip. You can save them to the form filler too. Then, if you need to run a few for MA or whatever, delete the trip PQs and create one for MA, but this time, rather than entering the info manually, you just tell the form filler to enter the info you had already saved. Viola! Everything will be filled in as if you'd entered it manually.

It's a bit of a pain because you have to delete some PQs to make room for new ones, but once you have the info saved, it's super fast & easy to recreate them.