Pocket query language translate?

billyrover

I have had a fruitless search both in Google and the forum, but I am sure someone must have thought of this. Lets say you are travelling to Spain and you want to translate cache listings from Spanish to English. Google translate will do a reasonable job on GC web-pages, but that's no help with a PQ. Is there any way you can run a PQ through language translating soft/web page to get a English(ish) :laughing: version of the PQ?

I have had a fruitless search both in Google and the forum, but I am sure someone must have thought of this. Lets say you are travelling to Spain and you want to translate cache listings from Spanish to English. Google translate will do a reasonable job on GC web-pages, but that's no help with a PQ. Is there any way you can run a PQ through language translating soft/web page to get a English(ish) :laughing: version of the PQ?

Seems doable. A PQ just results in an email of a file (optionally in zip format) that can be imported into an app like GSAK or EasyGPS, but it's basically just a text file (with GPX tags). You could just cut-n-paste the contents into Babelfish or Google Translate, then load the results into the GSAK then use a macro to output the translated descriptions.

You could also run something like the DescriptionToText GSAK macro to save the GC code, description, and hint to a text file then translate that. With some programming skills you could modifiy that macro such that in invokes Google Translate on all the appropriate fields before outputing the text.

After writing my response I thought I'd take a look to see if someone had already written a GSAK macro that does translations.

There is a macro called HTML_Translate that will do what you want. You just need to use GSAK, then install that macro and it will produce a split screen with the language of your choise (of those supported) in each pane of the screen.

BTW, you might be surprised how frequently multi language versions of cache descriptions are available in some countries. Most of the cache descriptions I've seen in Rome have English and Italian text. I've done some cache searches for Barcelona as I may fly in/out of that city enroute to a conference in Montpellier in April and would likely have a few hours free there. Many of the caches in Barcelona had descriptions in Spanish, Catalan, English, and for some reason, Czech (Cesky). On the other hand, it seems that most of the caches listings I've looked at in France are only available in French.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

After writing my response I thought I'd take a look to see if someone had already written a GSAK macro that does translations.

There is a macro called HTML_Translate that will do what you want. You just need to use GSAK, then install that macro and it will produce a split screen with the language of your choise (of those supported) in each pane of the screen.

BTW, you might be surprised how frequently multi language versions of cache descriptions are available in some countries. Most of the cache descriptions I've seen in Rome have English and Italian text. I've done some cache searches for Barcelona as I may fly in/out of that city enroute to a conference in Montpellier in April and would likely have a few hours free there. Many of the caches in Barcelona had descriptions in Spanish, Catalan, English, and for some reason, Czech (Cesky). On the other hand, it seems that most of the caches listings I've looked at in France are only available in French.

Thanks. Barcelona is one of the places we are visiting, and you are right about multiple languages. But away from the main touristy areas it seems less common. I was hoping for something like a macro, I will have a play later, will it write the translated version back to the gpx file though, I want to put the PQ on my Windows mobile phone?

When ever you have a question it is best to Google it before asking. There are a plathera of sites that will translate web pages starting with

http://translate.google.com/#

I use Google translate ALL the time! When you reply to a forum post, it is best to read the question first before replying..... I want to translate a GPX file not the web page! I don't want to translate and print 500 cache pages!

Edited by billyrover

I have had a fruitless search both in Google and the forum, but I am sure someone must have thought of this. Lets say you are travelling to Spain and you want to translate cache listings from Spanish to English. Google translate will do a reasonable job on GC web-pages, but that's no help with a PQ. Is there any way you can run a PQ through language translating soft/web page to get a English(ish) :signalviolin: version of the PQ?

Hi,

Did you ever find a useful solution to this problem? I too am travelling around a fair part of Europe soon, and am also struggling with a simple method of translating the descriptions in a PQ GPX file. The macros I have found so far for GSAK only translate the descriptions within the window, and do not output the results to a GPX file (unfortunately).

how about encurage CO to ALWAYS have a very short ENGLISH version

and hint in ENGLISH too, no matter where the darn cache is located,

thanks..

I think one of the cool ideas about this game is its world-wide go play idea,

it is some times very hard for me to find a simple cache, when I travel,

I only handle 3 languages and I am not even perfect in any of them :-)

how about encurage CO to ALWAYS have a very short ENGLISH version

and hint in ENGLISH too, no matter where the darn cache is located,

thanks..

I think one of the cool ideas about this game is its world-wide go play idea,

it is some times very hard for me to find a simple cache, when I travel,

I only handle 3 languages and I am not even perfect in any of them :-)

Totally agree with you !

But the point here for me was how to translate PQ with no english version?