Garmin Custom Map Help

Thanks to some help in other threads I have managed to find and use some free software to produce some excellent custom 1:25000 maps that have the benefit of not needing the fiddle calibration in Google earth not the tile calculations to make sure things line up.

The following short guide may be of help to others garmin custom map guide It isn't overly detailed but if I can do it then anyone can.

If you can see a way of improving the process post it in the thread and I will add it to the guide if it is helpful.

Thanks to some help in other threads I have managed to find and use some free software to produce some excellent custom 1:25000 maps that have the benefit of not needing the fiddle calibration in Google earth not the tile calculations to make sure things line up.

The following short guide may be of help to others garmin custom map guide It isn't overly detailed but if I can do it then anyone can.

If you can see a way of improving the process post it in the thread and I will add it to the guide if it is helpful.

The last stage in your doc (the one you refer to as "tedious" :unsure: ) shouldn't be necessary. Map2MapC merges all the tiles into a single KMZ file, and that is the only file you need to copy across to the Garmin.

Rgds, Andy

Excellent guide, appears to have worked fine for me, thanks very much.

One small point I noticed, when you initially start MapCToMapC, you need to edit the preferences to place a checkmark in the "Garmin Tile Control Screen" to allow this screen to appear when you write the Garmin custom map.

Nigel

Hi

The link to the the GAMloader.zip in the custom map guide does not work and when tracing back to the website there are no "Downloads". Any ideas.

Vince

Recently OkMap freeware software include a feature to generate automatically compatible Garmin custom maps (kmz format).

The map calibration is sophisticated because OkMap uses different type of projection and several datums.

This new feature includes map tiling from and to different image file formats (including from ECW map files).

It’s possible select KML extensions 2.2 (if GPS supports them), the JPEG quality, KML transparency, draw order, ecc..

You can select the tiles to generate in output.

This feature support also not north oriented maps and resizing of the map images.

OkMap include a Google maps server to download maps from Google, OpenStreetMap, MyTopo, DOCQ, ecc..

These two features combined together may be very useful.

Hi

The link to the the GAMloader.zip in the custom map guide does not work and when tracing back to the website there are no "Downloads". Any ideas.

Vince

Works for me:-

http://www.akadamia.co.uk/downloads/GAMLoader.zip

I can confirm all links are working, including the GAMLoader zip download. In addition the 1:25000 map this produces supports turn by turn car navigation.

Thanks Bruce, it all seems to work very well! One suggestion though, you mention double clicking the .kml file opens up Google maps. It actually opens up Google Earth, and Google Earth needs to be installed (I'd not yet installed it on this laptop).

Ta!