PATHTAG

crappie-doer

JUST WHAT IS A PATHTAG AND HOW IS IT USED?

It's not GPS and it's not technology in case that's what you're wondering.

It's a little coin-shaped token with a custom design on one side, usually left as a signature item. There is a serial number on it, but all tokens of the same design will have the exact same serial number. Check http://www.pathtags.com for more information.

I learned the answer to this just a couple days ago.

It is like a Geocoin but from another website. I "discovered" one in a cache I found and was going to log the discovery. I learned you had to do that on the Pathtag website, very similar to this one.

I also learned I could have kept it if I wanted to. NOT like a Geocoin!!! I left it in the cache to travel on!!!

I did go register on the Pathtag website so I could log my "discovery" and read the stories of its travels!!

Although not like a geocoin (OK, it kinda sorta looks like one), Pathtags are different animals.

We like them as sig/trade/swap items. Of course not trackable on geocaching.com, but there are a number of things that you will probably find trackable on other sites.

Treasured a little more when you can trade face-to-face with a cacher you meet on the trail. :lol:

I came across one in a cache nearby recently. The cacher who had them made is from my hometown. I wish I had known that they are collectible items, as I would love to collect them. At least I know now when I encounter another one!

I came across one on my 3rd cache. Being new, I didn't know what it was either. I knew it was not a geocoin and wasn't sure what to do with it so just left it.

After getting home I looked them up to see what they were. Now that I now what they are, I have not come across another one LOL

Just my luck!

I knew [the Path Tag] was not a geocoin and wasn't sure what to do with it so just left it.

I moved my first one to another cache (and logged it on the Pathtag site). Then I found out you can keep them. But I've been moving them along ever since.

I did keep the one that was handed to me at a Cache event. Go figure.