The PROXY GEOCOIN - New from Geocoin Design!

GeocoinGuy

I just received design approval from Groundspeak, so I am writing to announce Geocoin Design's answer to the ever popular "Proxy" Geocoin!

Introducing The PROXY Geocoin

- 38mm X 2mm (1.5" Round)

- Trackable at Geocaching.com with its own icon

- 3 Platings - Antique Gold, Antique Nickel, Antique Copper

- 4 Flavors - Of course they had to be the 4 Geocaching colors!

- Simple design in cheap enamel (soft enamel)

I hope it puts a smile on your face! I was giggling the entire time I was creating it!

This coin will be available for $5.00 (Happy Good!)

ProxyA-D850.jpg

Enjoy!

~J

if you add the original tracking number that means people will still ghet confused/dissapointed as the icon wont change to the proxy,

what if rather than the same image front and back what if it were to say

This Proxy is to

travel in the

Memory of

TBXXXX

or something like that anyway??

And you can have your TB number of your lost coin added.

Edited by daveindeal

if you add the original tracking number that means people will still ghet confused/dissapointed as the icon wont change to the proxy,

what if rather than the same image front and back what if it were to say

This Proxy is to

travel in the

Memory of

TBXXXX

or something like that anyway??

And you can have your TB number of your lost coin added.

Isn't that the point of finding a PROXY? Wouldn't that add to the mystique of the coin?

OMG _ WHAT ICON WILL I GET?

I would only want viable coin tracking numbers engraved on them.

~J

cool idea! this is one of those..."why didn't i think of that?!" moments...lol...my question for you: is there a way to substitute the tracking number on this "proxy geocoin" with a geocoin that was stolen or missing? just curious. ;)

Absolutely!

In fact, I encourage anyone who has ever had a geocoin stolen, misplaced, or lost provide those tracking numbers for engraving!

~J

just another question out of curiosity...are you going to have the engraving or laser etching done locally or will you order a batch of the proxy geocoins with tracking numbers from the factory (in china)? this would probably determine the overall turn-around time, right?

Please make the spot for the tracking number larger so it is easier to engrave and easier to read.

How about a hole in case you want to attach a copy of the actual coin for the code on the proxy?

I'm surprised that TPTB actual gave you approval to sell what is (by itself) essentially a non-trackable coin.

Good luck. I may be interested in a few. I got to think about it first, but it's a bizarre option to an otherwise nagging problem.

;)

just another question out of curiosity...are you going to have the engraving or laser etching done locally or will you order a batch of the proxy geocoins with tracking numbers from the factory (in china)? this would probably determine the overall turn-around time, right?

I was thinking about that after post #5. Any jeweler or awards shop would charge anywhere from 60 cents to $1.50 per digit to engrave. Coin tracking numbers are 6 digits. So a combination answer is in order here.

It would be less expensive for any consumer to provide me with their tracking number of their lost or stolen coin to be laser engraved at the production facility for 2 reasons - 1) They are set up to do this kind of work & 2) Its cleaner than having some schmoe attempt to do it by hand.

So in regards to parts and labor - $5.00 is a fair price REGARDLESS if I provide the tracking number or not. (Does that answer your question about cost, Mike?)

Anyone who would like to purchase a PROXY Geocoin with their lost or stolen tracking number on it can do so, but these will be considered "CUSTOM ORDERS" and therefore must be prepaid.

~J

Please make the spot for the tracking number larger so it is easier to engrave and easier to read.

How about a hole in case you want to attach a copy of the actual coin for the code on the proxy?

I'm surprised that TPTB actual gave you approval to sell what is (by itself) essentially a non-trackable coin.

Good luck. I may be interested in a few. I got to think about it first, but it's a bizarre option to an otherwise nagging problem.

:huh:

This was addressed to me last night as I shared the art with another cacher ;) I'm thinking of placing a hole between the bottom points of the star to facilitate that very thing.

Don't misunderstand - the coins are going to be trackable - and Groundspeak does not give approval/disapproval to sell any product, they give approval of the design for family friendliness if the coin is to BE trackable.

Any design regardless of family friendliness need not be approved by Groundspeak if it has NOTHING to do with them - 2 such coins (Naked cacher, Bikini top w/magnets) come to mind right away, but I'm sure there are many many others.

~J

One of the things I have been thinking about during the heated debate over proxies is this -

It would cost more than $5.00 in time and materials for a Geocoin owner to put their PAID FOR tracking number on a quality, home made proxy -

Isn't the point of a proxy to DETER the theft of a geocoin? I mean, lets' think about this for a minute....

You are the coin thief -

You scan the caches in your area either by the coin map on the Geocaching Geocoin home page or by looking for the coin icons next to the cache listings from the "Search for nearest Geocaches from your home coordinates" link-

You gas up your theft mobile - (yes, I just coined that phrase - no pun intended)

You seek out the cache containing your prey -

You arrive at the cache in stealth mode -

You open the cache to steal what should be a beautifully designed treasure of a geocoin -

You find a PROXY geocoin instead! The true coin is safe and sound in its owners collection!

HA! This is a step in the right direction to prevent what otherwise could be a devastating loss to the owner of a valued treasure.

The Proxy Geocoin is a BRILLIANT idea and anyone who thinks otherwise either wishes they had thought of it first, is holding onto a a geocoin collection without ever having activated their own coins to release, or is worried that a $5.00 product will put their own business in jeopardy.

EVERY PROXY GEOCOIN will be trackable because the Frog has been paid for the tracking number. So tell me, please..

Who does this hurt other than competing vendors and coin thieves themselves?

Tracking numbers belong to their OWNERS, just like Travel Bugs - and those owners have every right to place that number where ever they want, be it on a car or a coin.

~J

:P

I spoke with Bryan this morning about this, and what it boils down to is a previously purchased tracking number CAN NOT be associated with a NEW trackable geocoin.

So, I have put the hole in the coin to facilitate attachment of (a laminate or whatever) proxy of your own :)

~J

:P

I spoke with Bryan this morning about this, and what it boils down to is a previously purchased tracking number CAN NOT be associated with a NEW trackable geocoin.

So, I have put the hole in the coin to facilitate attachment of (a laminate or whatever) proxy of your own :)

~J

Intersting and perhaps why the inexpensive ? aluminum dog tag style tags with the ????? on them could have numbers engraved on them. There were no other tracking numbers on them.

Interesting position from GS as if someone puts out a proxy which might have 2 tracking numbers on it - how would they know. Well. with folks monitoring posts perhaps but otherwise - it would just be a trackable with an discovery.......or whatever.

I like the proxy coin and to add a tag (for a lost coin) and lock it into the hole with a beaded chain, wire tie or other device so there are essentially now - 2 trackables being moved/dropped into a cache is very nice.

Thank you Jim for creating this coin, responding to posts, adding a hole/place for attachment and producing this cost effective trackable. Can't wait for the pictures of the artwork and samples.

Intersting and perhaps why the inexpensive ? aluminum dog tag style tags with the ????? on them could have numbers engraved on them. There were no other tracking numbers on them.

Interesting position from GS as if someone puts out a proxy which might have 2 tracking numbers on it - how would they know. Well. with folks monitoring posts perhaps but otherwise - it would just be a trackable with an discovery.......or whatever.

I like the proxy coin and to add a tag (for a lost coin) and lock it into the hole with a beaded chain, wire tie or other device so there are essentially now - 2 trackables being moved/dropped into a cache is very nice.

Thank you Jim for creating this coin, responding to posts, adding a hole/place for attachment and producing this cost effective trackable. Can't wait for the pictures of the artwork and samples.

Well, the point of making less expensive coins is the current trend from me, because frankly speaking, the buying public needs to see the price index for coins go down. Folks are holding onto their money during the tough economy, and I don't blame them.

Hence the Proxy Geocoin - because so many coins out there in the wild have been stolen, people won't become attached to this seemingly unattractive and simple coin, and will release them in droves!

I'm glad you like the idea and the premise behind it -

~J

I'm intending on 25 full sets (Versions A-D) on the first run in 3 different platings (Total 1st run: 300 coins).

Need some input - Would you rather purchase single coins, or should some of them be grouped together as sets? If sets, how many sets should I group together?

Please post your preferences - Production starts tonite!

Thanks!

~J

I'm intending on 25 full sets (Versions A-D) on the first run in 3 different platings (Total 1st run: 300 coins).

Need some input - Would you rather purchase single coins, or should some of them be grouped together as sets? If sets, how many sets should I group together?

Please post your preferences - Production starts tonite!

Thanks!

~J

I, personally, would be more inclined to buy single coins as the sets are WAY out of my price range.

These coins will be $5 each regardless if they are sold as sets or as singles. So the sets (one of each color) will be $20.

The reason I am wanting to group sets is to save the purchaser on shipping costs. ;)

~J

Edit to add: There will be NO LE, NO XLE, NO AE or any other E on these coins - well of course, except for the RE <_<

Edited by GeocoinGuy

These coins will be $5 each regardless if they are sold as sets or as singles. So the sets (one of each color) will be $20.

The reason I am wanting to group sets is to save the purchaser on shipping costs. ;)

~J

Edit to add: There will be NO LE, NO XLE, NO AE or any other E on these coins - well of course, except for the RE <_<

In that case, go for the sets :) and have a few single in case someone can only afford 2 :laughing:

They did... both <snip> and <snip> have done the same coin idea... but I am all for the idea if it means we can get more coins back into caches and circulation.

No... I don't think so - There is only ONE Proxy Geocoin on the master list of coins on GC.com, and that coin belongs to GeocoinDesign.com.

~J

Well, the point of the matter is that the coins are 'plain' and 'cheap'. So hopefully, there will be an abundance of these coins in caches around the world.

Coins have shipped, and I will have them available on Monday, 4/12/10.

You will be able to get to them directly by clicking here.

~J

Edit: Ooops... link fixed

Edited by GeocoinGuy

Well, the point of the matter is that the coins are 'plain' and 'cheap'. So hopefully, there will be an abundance of these coins in caches around the world.

Coins have shipped, and I will have them available on Monday, 4/12/10.

You will be able to get to them directly by clicking

When I clicking on HERE it takes me to a screen for Admin Name and Admin Password

Edited by kdlutz41

By the way... if you click on the fixed link in post #38, you will see an EMPTY category until they go active on the 12th. There is NO scheduled time these will go on sale... they will 'auto-activate' when my webstore server reaches that date.

There are 25 of each color in each plating.

~J