Help needed please 5 missing Tbs

CnJnA

Could anyone suggest ideas please? We set a TB race off on 10th Jan from GC1X3ZM just off the M55 j3 with 8 Tbs attached to mini keyrings with pool balls on. http://www.slugsie.com/tb_race/ is where you can check them out if you would like to.

3 are up and running, 5 have disappeared. 2 x2 in caches and 1 on its own, all round the Garstang area. I have emailed various cachers who have logged there since the bugs were logged in, but no-one seems to have seen them, including the cache owner who has done maintainance there very recently.

Please can anyone suggest anything we can try, there are 2 children involved in this race who are going to be very upset when we tell them. Thankyou for reading this, feel free to email me if you want.

Clare.

Hi, It's a real bummber that you seem to have put so much time and effort into setting this all up and it's gone pear shaped so quickly. The only other thing I could suggest is have you checked the cache log books for any other clues? I had a TB go missing from one of my caches and when I looked at the log book there was a find by a couple who hadn't logged the find online and didn't even seem to have a caching name but they said were taking the TB to Singapore. I've had it on my watch list and unfortunately it hasn't resurfaced in a year.

Looking on the bright side they haven't been gone too long, so there's still a chance that they're sitting in another cache waiting to be picked up.

Hi, It's a real bummber that you seem to have put so much time and effort into setting this all up and it's gone pear shaped so quickly. The only other thing I could suggest is have you checked the cache log books for any other clues? I had a TB go missing from one of my caches and when I looked at the log book there was a find by a couple who hadn't logged the find online and didn't even seem to have a caching name but they said were taking the TB to Singapore. I've had it on my watch list and unfortunately it hasn't resurfaced in a year.

Looking on the bright side they haven't been gone too long, so there's still a chance that they're sitting in another cache waiting to be picked up.

They were all moved by one person who took all 5 then split them up, none have been seen since as far as I can tell. I have looked at the logs since and the only cachers I thought might have not logged them also emailed me back to say they had not seen them. I am really quite sad about this as we have only been caching as a gang since last summer and till now everything has been great. Would it be worth logging a note on the Tbs pages?

As you say that you've tried email those cachers who might have picked up the TBs, without any positive results, I don't think there's much more you can do. :D

It might be worth putting a note on the missing TBs' pages and also on the caches where they are listed, just in case those caches are being watched by a cacher who regularly visits and who might have collected the TBs but has forgotten to log them out properly.

As MartyBartfast mentions, it's too soon to write them off as lost - TBs often re-appear unexpectedly in odd places... but it's disappointing when they disappear and children are hoping... and waiting.

I do hope you'll be able to post some positive news about them soon.

MrsB ;)

They do turn up. One of my TBs, Chip, went AWOL for 3 months before resurfacing in South Africa. The finder had just forgot to log it. Unfortunately, you do have to be prepared to lose them as well. 2 others' have gone completely. One had no logs for 6 months, but I am about to release a replacement using the COPY tag and another which a cacher put in a 'cache' which their own log indicated was probably not the cache as it did not fit in with the co-ordinates, clue or other logs but was a box. It turned out to be rubbish and was thrown away. The worst part of that - the cacher went back and found the proper container some months later and deleted their original log, pretending it had never happened! If it's not too late, you could release ident TBs using the COPY tag.

Gordon

Thankyou for your reply, I had considered that we might not get all 8 to survive, but to have 5 of them travel less than 10 miles from the starting point then all go was not in the calculations....

I am cross and upset that they all went, and whilst I shall wait to see if any do resurface in the future, its still a current waste of almost £50 and I have to tell 2 children that they are not in the race any more.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond tho, the majority of cachers seem to be decent people, - and I suppose it might just be a chance that all 3 caches were found and muggled....However if they have all gone to South Africa by "mistake " then that will be fun....

I am cross and upset that they all went, and whilst I shall wait to see if any do resurface in the future, its still a current waste of almost £50 and I have to tell 2 children that they are not in the race any more.

Upset, maybe.

Cross?

Would you leave your Rolex in a public place, publish the co-ordindates on the WORLD wide web and then be surprised if it disappeared?

Lost in Space- yes, if I was daft enough to log the co-ordinates of something very valuable on the internet then i would be just asking for it to be taken and it would be totally my fault, I accept your point.

However in my humble opinion the items were of a small amount of money and whilst I was expecting some loss I had not worked on 5 out of 8 going within a short space of time less than 10 miles from the start point.

Also if they had actually travelled a bit further then I would not be quite so cross. but thankyou for your comments.

Upset, maybe.

Cross?

Would you leave your Rolex in a public place, publish the co-ordindates on the WORLD wide web and then be surprised if it disappeared?

Well, no, but these aren't Rolex's. They're just novelty key rings with little intrinsic value. They also all had a laminated card attached stating that they were part of a race, as well as the GC TB tag, so anyone who picked them up would be of little doubt as to the situation. So yes, Cross is an appropriate emotion towards anyone with no respect for other peoples things. In a way the value of the items is in fact irrelevant.

I may be tempting fate here but...today we launched the 3 tb race subs. Still no sign of the missing 5 altho I have had emails back from certain cachers offering what help they could.

I have a prime suspect, but with no proof whatsoever I have no options I can think of, the first email was answered, the 2nd one has not been.

So, the 3 subs are out into the world, I have split them into 3 local caches to try and prevent them all going again, but at the end of the day I now realise its a risk, and so be it.

Thanks to all the cachers who took the time to read these messages and comment, I did appreciate all of them.

:)

Oh joy. Today i got an email telling me that one of the 3 Tb subs in the race has gone from a cache down south. It was an ammo tin by the sounds of it, and now its missing... The new cacher who logged it in was gutted, as I imagine are the cache owners... ;) Oh well, one has gone to Germany, one is at the top of Pen y Ghent and mine is currently part way up Ingleborough and 2 more are still going so not all bad.