User Comments - Need Advice

Hello all!! This is my 1st post on this forum and I have a question about user comment guidelines and / or rules as defined by the website.

Are there any rules that define what a user can / cannot say in a user comment? I would like to defer to them as I am in a bit of disagreement with a cache owner. That being said I have the utmost respect for cache owners and I appreciate the time they put into making such clever and enjoyable hides.

In this case though the clue that the user gives is intentionally misleading. The clue is "magnetic" and the cache is actually hidden in a plastic newspaper box. I included in my comments that I thought the clue was misleading but of course did not tell anyone where to look, just that the clue might actually lead them in the wrong direction as it did my group.

I assume misdirection and telling someone exactly where the cache is hidden are frowned upon equally. The user comments even state in the header that spoilers may be present. I would hardly consider my comment a spoiler though, in fact, I'd say the clue itself is more a spoiler.

I looked around this forum and the geocaching.com website for guidance but could not find any. Would greatly appreciate a nod in the right direction.

Also does anyone know if the cache owner has complete control to edit or delete my comments? I would hate to lose credit for finding such a well hidden cache. I really do respect the cache owners for what they provide but I also would like to have comments respected as long as respectful in nature which I believe they are.

Thanks!!!

mlittle74

Also does anyone know if the cache owner has complete control to edit or delete my comments?

Cache owners can only Delete log entries. They can't Edit them.

It sounds like you stated a fact, which sounds fine to me. If the cache owner decides it's a spoiler, I would probably just re-Log it with a "TFTC" and move on.

Also does anyone know if the cache owner has complete control to edit or delete my comments?

Cache owners can only Delete log entries. They can't Edit them.

It sounds like you stated a fact, which sounds fine to me. If the cache owner decides it's a spoiler, I would probably just re-Log it with a "TFTC" and move on.

Maybe a fault but I often get caught up in the principle of the matter <_<

If someone can point me to the guidelines I'd really appreciate it.

And thanks for the quick reply Touchstone.

Cache owners cannot "edit" your log but they can delete it entirely. Not that they should without very good reason. As a general rule - you should never say anything in your log that acts as a 'clue' to the cache location. Of course many logs have very subtle hints but those generally don't bother anybody.

There are no written 'rules' for what is apporpriate in logs or in the descriptions - except what is found in the guidelines. Common courtesy should always prevail. No foul language or threats or personal attacks should ever be included.

If the the cache container itself included a magnet by its very nature - (no matter how it is in reality attached) then it is a harmless hint. I have seen magnetic key holders in a tree with the same hint.

Does the paperbox require you to buy anything to open it and access the cache?? If so - then that is a problem.

Ignore that cacher and that type of hide if it bothers you and move on with life.

Hello all!! This is my 1st post on this forum and I have a question about user comment guidelines and / or rules as defined by the website.

Welcome aboard! Did you read the forums guidelines linked at the top of this page?

They will tell you most of what you need to know.

Bottom line... keep it family-friendly, non-commercial and non-confrontational and you'll be fine.

Are there any rules that define what a user can / cannot say in a user comment? I would like to defer to them as I am in a bit of disagreement with a cache owner. That being said I have the utmost respect for cache owners and I appreciate the time they put into making such clever and enjoyable hides.

If by user comment you mean the "Found It" or other log type on the cache listing, then it's about like here.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it!

Just a basic TFTC (Thanks For The Cache) log will do.

In this case though the clue that the user gives is intentionally misleading. The clue is "magnetic" and the cache is actually hidden in a plastic newspaper box. I included in my comments that I thought the clue was misleading but of course did not tell anyone where to look, just that the clue might actually lead them in the wrong direction as it did my group.

I assume misdirection and telling someone exactly where the cache is hidden are frowned upon equally. The user comments even state in the header that spoilers may be present. I would hardly consider my comment a spoiler though, in fact, I'd say the clue itself is more a spoiler.

I looked around this forum and the geocaching.com website for guidance but could not find any. Would greatly appreciate a nod in the right direction.

That's seriously lame, juvenile even, but yes he's allowed to do it.

I have a clue like that... says it's magnetic, and it is, sorta... it's a magnetic keyholder. But it's hidden in a hole in a rock face. So sue me. <_<

It's probably best not to take this game too literally.

Also does anyone know if the cache owner has complete control to edit or delete my comments? I would hate to lose credit for finding such a well hidden cache. I really do respect the cache owners for what they provide but I also would like to have comments respected as long as respectful in nature which I believe they are.

The CO pretty much controls the logs. He can add and delete them but he can't modify any but his own.

My advice? Log something simple like TFTC and go on with your life.

Most of the folks you'll meet in geocaching are wonderful people, but like in any group some will be, um, not to our liking.

Don't pet the sweaty things.

When you find yourself stressing about something another cacher did, repeat Rambler's Mantra until you cool off:

The best thing about geocaching is that anyone can play.

The worst thing about geocaching is...that anyone can play!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Maybe a fault but I often get caught up in the principle of the matter <_<

I'd say the principle of this matter is that it is too trivial a matter to worry about. The only guidelines are the ones that apply to a cache owner's maintenance responsibilities:

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

To be honest.

It's easier to just delete that bit.

Then move on.

It's only a game. Everyone plays their own way.

OK. It might be a Hide-a-key (which is magnetic) doesn't mean it has to be on something metal!

I agree Bear. It is a game and games are for enjoyment and being lead the "wrong" direction isn't enjoyable. No clue is better than a clue that is misleading. There is nothing magnetic about the news box that the cache is in. It's as easy for the cache owner to disregard my comment as it is for me to edit it.

As it stands now a cache owner can put whatever he/she wants to in the hint section. There are no guidelines against misdirection or cryptic hints. They can even put "No hint needed", though that might get a reviewer to suggest just leaving the hint blank if they really have nothing to say.

Although there is no specific guideline regarding deleting spoilers, it is generally accepted that a cache owner may delete logs which contain spoilers. It is up the cache owner to determine what is a spoiler and whether to delete the log, encrypt it, or simply let it stand as written.

With the change made last year regarding additional logging requirements, the ability of cache owners to delete logs was greatly curtailed. However this change opened a can of worms that Groundspeak now has to deal with. Anyone who has signed the physical log on a cache and then has their online log deleted, can now appeal to Groundspeak to have their log reinstated. After all, they could argue that the cache owner is enforcing an additional logging requirement to not leave a spoiler or to not indicate in their log what the encrypted hint says.

I logged a cache yesterday whose hint was magnetic. In my log I indicated that the magnet was no longer attached to the cache (a bison tube) but that the magnet was acting to hold the cache in place. I don't anticipate any issues from this cache owner, but if asked, I will relog the cache without the "spoiler".

Welcome aboard! Did you read the forums guidelines linked at the top of this page?

They will tell you most of what you need to know.

Bottom line... keep it family-friendly, non-commercial and non-confrontational and you'll be fine.

Do the forum posting guidelines completely match the log posting guidelines? I mean, I would expect them to mirror each other but I don't think it's ever actually been stated "officially".

The Guidelines are mainly focused on the placement and maintenance aspects of Geocaching, and don't directly speak to the issue of appropriate Logging behavior.

Your best bet on finding the answer you are after is probably on the Geocachers Creed website, which talks more about the ethics and philosophy of the Community.

One appropriate section on the site that may apply is:

Don't spoil the hunt for others - allow them to experience the cache as its owner intended.

Minimize giving unsolicited clues that reveal the cache (i.e. "spoilers").

Don't provide any hints if the cache description asks you not to. In all other cases, be cryptic or encrypt any hints or spoilers you enter in online logs.

Edit your log if the cache owner requests that you remove spoilers.

Generally speaking, the cache owner is allowed a certain amount of discretion in deleting log entries that appear to be *spoilers*.

The easiest solution is to merely relog the cache with less information.

Edit to add the other side of the issue:

As far as misleading and/or useless Hints, the Online Submission form does provide the following instructions:

If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.

Whether a cache owner puts this good information into practice is another issue <_<

Not a Guideline breaker though.

Edited by Touchstone
...and being lead the "wrong" direction isn't enjoyable...

Hi MLittle, welcome to the forums! <_<

One thing that caught my eye about your post is the partial sentance I quoted. Something to keep in mind as you play this game is, different folks play it for different reasons, and different folks get enjoyment from different sources. What you think is not enjoyable might be a hoot to the next guy. Personally, I love a bit of clever misdirection. For me, it adds a certain degree of flavor to the hunt. Broad, sweeping statements such as yours can backfire in a forum for a game played 'round the world. :)

That being said, I'd like to ask about the cache itself. Was the container a hide-a-key or blinkie? If so, those contain magnets, and as such, the clue is entirely acceptable, even if the magnet is not used to affix the cache to a ferrous (sp?) surface.

If there was no magnetics involved in the cache at all, then I'd say the clue was pretty cheesy.

However, the cache owner has a significant amount of control over what gets posted on their cache page. There is an appeals process for folks whose logs are unfairly deleted, but in this case, you may not win an appeal. If the owner claims your log contained a spoiler, then they could cite the guidelines that specifically address spoiler logs, even if you didn't think it was a spoiler.

I guess what it boils down to is, how much time/effort are you willing to invest?

...and being lead the "wrong" direction isn't enjoyable...

Hi MLittle, welcome to the forums! <_<

One thing that caught my eye about your post is the partial sentance I quoted. Something to keep in mind as you play this game is, different folks play it for different reasons, and different folks get enjoyment from different sources. What you think is not enjoyable might be a hoot to the next guy. Personally, I love a bit of clever misdirection. For me, it adds a certain degree of flavor to the hunt. Broad, sweeping statements such as yours can backfire in a forum for a game played 'round the world. :)

That being said, I'd like to ask about the cache itself. Was the container a hide-a-key or blinkie? If so, those contain magnets, and as such, the clue is entirely acceptable, even if the magnet is not used to affix the cache to a ferrous (sp?) surface.

If there was no magnetics involved in the cache at all, then I'd say the clue was pretty cheesy.

However, the cache owner has a significant amount of control over what gets posted on their cache page. There is an appeals process for folks whose logs are unfairly deleted, but in this case, you may not win an appeal. If the owner claims your log contained a spoiler, then they could cite the guidelines that specifically address spoiler logs, even if you didn't think it was a spoiler.

I guess what it boils down to is, how much time/effort are you willing to invest?

Good questions and perspective. I have a great interest and time to devote to clarifying such issues. I enjoy the debate. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with clues giving a purposeful false impression. And I would also submit that the percentage of people who enjoy clues that are intentionally misleading is extremely small. I'd prefer, as I would assume the vast majority of geocachers do, that hints actually provide a hint and if they do not intend to then they should be left blank.

To answer one of your questions the cache itself held no magnet. The cache was in a plastic new stand (with free papers) and there were a whole host of metal objects that required searching in the area. The cache was also listed as a relatively easy difficulty level (1.5). There was no magnetic key holder or magnets in the cache itself.

Thanks!!!

mlittle74

In cases where a dispute comes up, I'd just think about how important is it to me that I say what I want, or in this case can I defer to the wishes of the CO. You can certainly keep your find, but it looks like rewording it may be the easiest option, even if just to avoid the drama.

As it stands now a cache owner can put whatever he/she wants to in the hint section. There are no guidelines against misdirection or cryptic hints. They can even put "No hint needed", though that might get a reviewer to suggest just leaving the hint blank if they really have nothing to say.

Although there is no specific guideline regarding deleting spoilers, it is generally accepted that a cache owner may delete logs which contain spoilers. It is up the cache owner to determine what is a spoiler and whether to delete the log, encrypt it, or simply let it stand as written.

With the change made last year regarding additional logging requirements, the ability of cache owners to delete logs was greatly curtailed. However this change opened a can of worms that Groundspeak now has to deal with. Anyone who has signed the physical log on a cache and then has their online log deleted, can now appeal to Groundspeak to have their log reinstated. After all, they could argue that the cache owner is enforcing an additional logging requirement to not leave a spoiler or to not indicate in their log what the encrypted hint says.

I logged a cache yesterday whose hint was magnetic. In my log I indicated that the magnet was no longer attached to the cache (a bison tube) but that the magnet was acting to hold the cache in place. I don't anticipate any issues from this cache owner, but if asked, I will relog the cache without the "spoiler".

Yeah.... your log ruined the find for me. <_<

One thing I'd mention....is that you may get a grumpy owner that will send ya a grumpy email.

Normally what I do..... is to log a really snotty, mean, grumpy log describing my complaint......and then.... I go back and EDIT my log, eliminating all the mean stuff. So....the owner gets a notice with my snotty, mean, grumpy log,....and when he heads over to delete my log, he sees my generic "found it" log instead.

:)

There was no magnetic key holder or magnets in the cache itself.

Then I would agree the hint was cheesy, intentionally misleading, without being clever.

Cleverly misleading (to me) would be a blinkie dropped into a hole on the top of a rafter that you could only feel, not see, with a hint of "Magnetic". The relevence of the clue is revealed when the cache is found. I like these. Giving a clue that is deliberetely misleading to the point of being untrue is aggrivating. Good luck! <_<

Yes. That could be construed to be a spoiler. If the CO considered it to be such, then the polite thing to do would be to eliminate the spoiler. So, be polite. No point into getting into a shouting match with the CO.

Personally, I do not like the cutesy spoilers that people leave. But, generally, I ignore them, as I would your spoiler. If I do not like them, I would e-mail the finder and request that s/he remove the spoiler. If s/he does not, then I would delete the log.

One possiblity is that the newspaper box used to be metallic, and the cache was magnetic. Perhaps, the box was changed, and the cache as well, an the CO was to lazy to edt the page.

If you and the CO do not get along, you should feel free to ignore his/her caches. That works wonders for me!

I have run across a few caches with deliberately misleading hints. Ones where it's obviously intended to punish people who look at the hints before searching.

I put those "added difficulty" measures right up there with soft coordinates. A quick way to earn a spot on my cacher ignore list.

I have run across a few caches with deliberately misleading hints. Ones where it's obviously intended to punish people who look at the hints before searching.

I put those "added difficulty" measures right up there with soft coordinates. A quick way to earn a spot on my cacher ignore list.

My comment was deleted and I would like to appeal. Does anyone know where there appeal form is online? I have searched geocaching.com and was not able to find.

Thanks!

My comment was deleted and I would like to appeal. Does anyone know where there appeal form is online? I have searched geocaching.com and was not able to find.

Thanks!

You could try emailing contact@geocaching.com, but to be honest, I doubt they will uphold your log entry, since the deletion is not specifically related to any Guideline/Terms of Use violation, but merely a difference of opinion between you and the cache owner regarding what is a *spoiler*, and what is useful information.

I'm afraid that, "the point of the matter", won't really get you very far. I'd suggest submitting a simpler, less informative log entry.

Oh good grief! Just re-log it without the spoiler and move on. It's not important.

It wasn't a spoiler and if you don't have anything constructive to say don't bother posting.

Oh good grief! Just re-log it without the spoiler and move on. It's not important.

It wasn't a spoiler and if you don't have anything constructive to say don't bother posting.

You seem to want to make a crusade against "misleading" hints. I don't think you will get far. Cache owners are allowed to put whatever they want in the hint. While there are suggestions to cache hiders to put a helpful hint and to leave the hint field blank if they have no hint - these are not guidelines for having the cache listed. Rather than using the cache log to express an opinion on the quality of the hint, you might be better off to bring it up in a local forum and shame the owner into doing the right thing and putting in a good hint or a least leaving the hint blank.

I'm begining to see this as not a spoiler issue but as an off-topic log. The guidelines actually tell cache owners to delete off-topic logs. No one knows what an off-topic log is exactly, but using the logs to discuss whether the cache owner is a jerk for posting a misleading hint is likely one of the things that Groundspeak would find off-topic. Writing "I was mislead by the hint and it took far longer to find the cache than it should have", might be OK. However, if you wrote "The cache owner is putting intentionally misleading hints and I don't think this should be allowed", it might be seen as trying to use the cache log to begin a discussion better suited another forum. If you actually called the cache owner a jerk (which I will assume you didn't) there certainly would be no doubt that the log is off-topic.

Just re-log it without the spoiler and move on. That's as constructive as any other comments in this thread.

Many of us have seen a magnetic cache that was deliberately NOT hidden where the magnet was used, and many of those cache descriptions may tell you it is a magnetic container. So it is surprising to read above that there was no magnet whatsoever on the cache container. Maybe there was originally and it got replaced, or maybe the write-up is just plain wrong.

It seems obvious the cache owner likes it the way it is (wrong or not), and did not like you pointing out the error. You are right that the cache description seems to be misleading, perhaps intentionally so. But no one is going to do anything about it because at the end of the day, it is much ado about very little.

Since you made the find and signed the log, you have the right to log the cache. You don't have the right to log it with your gripes, since that is pretty much antithetical to the way this sport/game/hobby is played. Cache hiders make the game possible, and the cache police are slow to chill them from doing so. From one point of view, if you "win" and the CO is PO'd enough to archive that cache in response, other geocachers lose because it is one less cache for them to find.

I suspect most of the folks that have found that same cache were not too put out by being gamed by the CO, or at least they didn't let it spoil their fun. Folks that DNF'd it or gave up trying might be annoyed, but that usually is mollified when they eventually make the find.

The suggestion to simply log a TFTC and move on is realistic. Move on with your life and find lots of better caches without trying to "prove" anything to the CO about whether he was right or wrong to publish the cache the way he did. And quibbling about this advice just makes it look like you are trying to find other places to wage your battle with the CO.

Thanks!

Has it occurred to you yet that the cache may have originally been magnetic, but the magnet came off and somebody rehid it where you found it, without them ever admitting it to the cache owner? A polite, private email to the cache owner would probably have been more appropriate. For that matter, it may still be appropriate.

Misleading, and poorly worded clues are often listed on cache pages. I've found several with clues similar to "No clue here." At first, I was miffed. Now I just ignore it. Search these forums and you will find a long thread about poor clues. EX. "in the rock pile." and there's nothing but rocks for 50 ft.

I don't know this cache, but if the newspaper box was made of metal, and the cache is a magnetic keyholder, then the clue is accurate. So I assume it's a plastic box.

The cache owner has the ability to delete a log for any reason, or no reason. Face it, some folks are unreasonable. If your 'found it' log was deleted because you included the message about the clue, then you could politely as the ower to reinstate the log if you take out the part they find objectionable. You can simply log, "TFTC" and be done.

If you are going to play this game, get used to the fact that there's quite a bit of variety. Some good, some not so good. Let the water roll off your back and have fun.

Adding this: The more caches you find, the less times you will have to look at the clue. Then the whole discussion becomes moot.

Edited by JoesBar

There is the rub. I would agree with the CO on this one. It is a spoiler. You obviously think differently. In this case it is the CO that gets to decide. Do yourself a favor, choose something important to obsess over. Something like what wine to have with dinner. :P

That was probably the most concise, constructive criticism in the thread. I you have an issue with people not agreeing with you, an internet forum is the last place you want to post a subjective question.

As mentioned already, in this case, CO was with well within their rights to delete the spoiler.

There is the rub. I would agree with the CO on this one. It is a spoiler. You obviously think differently. In this case it is the CO that gets to decide. Do yourself a favor, choose something important to obsess over. Something like what wine to have with dinner. :P

I had something similar happen two weeks ago. It was my first deleted log. The log itself was more about the hike but I had to put a picture in of the retrieval as it was hilarious. It just showed the face of the cacher and some background... and I did title it SPOILER. In my mind it was a gimme cache anyway but the CO promptly deleted my log and asked me to repost sans picture - very nicely too I might add. I did but I had a lot more fun with my wording on the second post. Nothing that could actually be a spoiler though and he let the log stand. If you really want to push it, just use some clever word play to get your point across. That being said, if you don't want to do that, write the worst thing you ever could: tnsltftc.