Auto Notify not working

psykokiwi

My auto notification of newly published caches isn't working. I went in and checked the settings and it looks like it's all good. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Is it something I've done? There were 2 caches post within my search perameters that didn't show in the auto notify. They are on the forum page, but didn't email. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Psykokiwi

Edited by psykokiwi

I did not receive any notifications after 8:00pm CST last night, even though I am certain new caches came out. I also received similar word from other hounds, er I mean cachers.

However, I'm pretty sure my local caching group thinks I'm nuts...

But I am here for yuo brother (or sister). It was not jsut you...

See you at the asylum!

--MGb

I did not receive any notifications after 8:00pm CST last night, even though I am certain new caches came out. I also received similar word from other hounds, er I mean cachers.

See you at the asylum!

--MGb

Thanks. I was starting to think it was just me. I went into the forum section for my area and saw new caches post, but never got notification.

See you at the asylum!

--MGb

Thanks. I was starting to think it was just me. I went into the forum section for my area and saw new caches post, but never got notification.

Same here - drove right by a new cache (like 50 feet) on the way to work at 5:30am and could have had the FTF - GRRRRRRRRR

I'm not getting much traction with this. It appears all notifications are working properly. Be sure to check spam filters or make a rule that specifically allows emails from our domain. ISPs make changes constantly to the emails allowed through the gate so this kind of thing can catch one by surprise.

I'll keep watching for these reports and checking the outgoing emails for any issues.

I'm not getting much traction with this. It appears all notifications are working properly. Be sure to check spam filters or make a rule that specifically allows emails from our domain. ISPs make changes constantly to the emails allowed through the gate so this kind of thing can catch one by surprise.

I'll keep watching for these reports and checking the outgoing emails for any issues.

I did check my spam folders to ensure they weren't mysteriously going there...nothing...nada ;) it was very sad. Like I said I went to the section on Groundspeak and could see 2 had posted within the perameters I had set for the notification.

I did check my spam folders to ensure they weren't mysteriously going there...nothing...nada ;) it was very sad. Like I said I went to the section on Groundspeak and could see 2 had posted within the perameters I had set for the notification.

I know it is inconvenient, but you might consider switching to another email provider temporarily (if only just for this website). Your ISP is particularly known for things like this.

If the emails start showing up you'll have narrowed the problem down.

Edited by OpinioNate

I know it is inconvenient, but you might consider switching to another email provider temporarily (if only just for this website). Your ISP is particularly known for things like this.

If the emails start showing up you'll have narrowed the problem down.

Ya I know I have a testy email provider LOL. I can try switching it when I get home tonight, but it sounds like I wasn't the only one.

i received 6 notifications last night, all just prior to 8:00pm. no notifications were sent for the closest 1 to my house. (the one I believe Mgbmusic was talking about). I receive my notifications 2 ways. one by text and another by email. in no way is this a case of a testy email service. the notifications simply were not sent.

Edited by Fishnic

.... in no way is this a case of a testy email service. the notifications simply were not sent.

Unless you own and control the email server - I wouldn't be so quick to state that....

Spam filtering happens suddenly. I'm not trying to say it couldn't be on our end but if one person is getting their notifications, it typically means all are being sent. It's not a selective process.

In any case, this troubleshooting is a team effort. I checked on our end for any obvious issues so it helps if you check yours too.

Edited by OpinioNate

Notifications (or lack thereof) seem to be an issue here in Hawaii too. See the logs for these two recently published caches: GC4R42 The Golden Egg and

GC4RMT Lean On Me

We did not receive notifications on these caches, neither did those who were FTF. We use gmail, at least cacher who did not get the notifications uses a yahoo account.

And for us the is a [Nofity] issue, we seem to be getting our watchlist/bookmark/owner e-mails just fine. But in the past couple days we have enabled/disabled some of our caches and while normally we get 2 e-mails one [Owner] and one [Notify] for this action, we have ONLY been getting the owner e-mails. We first noticed this on Sunday. Hope the issue can be identified, thanks!

jrr

edited to say this is a [GEO] Notify as opposed to [LOG] owner/watchlist/bookmark issue.

Edited by sillygirl & jrr

.... in no way is this a case of a testy email service. the notifications simply were not sent.

Unless you own and control the email server - I wouldn't be so quick to state that....

Since there is no spam filtering on my text message, i am confident that this issue is not related to testy email services. I do not need to own or control the server to make this deduction. I missed mine via email, and via text(MMS)

Edited by Fishnic

Since there is no spam filtering on my text message, i am confident that this issue is not related to testy email services. I do not need to own or control the server to make this deduction. I missed mine via email, and via text(MMS)

OK I know for sure that 22 new caches were published in my area today and I did not get notification either.

SMS is generated via email

....and I assure you that some form of filtering is used.

dont assure me, explain it to me

I know that, is why i made that comment

af_juicy doesn't seem to realize it though ;)

3 caches (that I am aware of) did not generate notifications last night -

Alley Cat - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ee-efcf84a884f8

The Three Pines - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...66-e9cf1c8b4782

Chicago's Biggest Hill - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d0-74589b3ca507

Reading the logs will verify that the notifications were not rteceived by at least 5 users-

myself

bugleann

DinaWorks

Cobra67

Wheels00

Fishnic is referring to the cache called "Alley cat, so add his name to the list.

This thread - http://www.gonil.org/SMF/index.php/topic,5.../topicseen.html - adds Panther in the Den to the list. That's 7 users, not including the OP of this thread and others that had posted since.

Notifications DID go out this evening, and I suspect that notifications we're up an running most of the day although I cannot confirm - no new caches were published before 6:00 that I am aware of. I did receive a watchlist email as early as 12:00PM today, but I don't know if that's the same system.

I suspect that this was probably jsut a temporary outage or hiccup. Perhaps a housekeeper unplugged a server to plug in the vacuum (old joke). Perhaps the information above will help you track down the time frame (caches) and the email providers (users) that were affected. Perhaps it will never happen again.

Hope this info helps.

--MGb

I am not sure what you are thinking I do not understand. I called four of my caching buddies and we all are not getting notifications. There was 18 more caches published just a few hours ago in my area. The CO emailed me to let me know that 18 of his new caches went active today and I was freaking out so he asked why. We are not getting notifcations via email. I checked my spam folder and there is nothing there. Infact when I texted Zsandmann to see if he was getting notifications he was like no new caches have been published. So I emailed him the list and he freaked.

I am not sure what you are thinking I do not understand. I called four of my caching buddies and we all are not getting notifications. There was 18 more caches published just a few hours ago in my area. The CO emailed me to let me know that 18 of his new caches went active today and I was freaking out so he asked why. We are not getting notifcations via email. I checked my spam folder and there is nothing there. Infact when I texted Zsandmann to see if he was getting notifications he was like no new caches have been published. So I emailed him the list and he freaked.

I'm in the seattle area and I know several cachers that didn't receive notifications here too.

i realize that notifications did not run at all

i was refering to your comment above, in the first quote, which seemed to imply that email and SMS are different, so i just clarified the fact that SMS is email too

maybe i misunderstood your comment

Well this seems like a world wide problem. I got this email yesterday March 9th at 3:45PM "Elias has just posted a new topic entitled "Site Configuration Change" in forum

"Geocaching Announcements".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

At approximately 12:40 AM Pacific Time (GMT -8), we made a change to the networking

configuration of the Geocaching site. While we don't anticipate any issues from

this change, if you do notice something not working correctly, please let me know.

Thanks!

;) Elias

----------------------------------------------------------------------"

Well this seems like a world wide problem. I got this email yesterday March 9th at 3:45PM "Elias has just posted a new topic entitled "Site Configuration Change" in forum

"Geocaching Announcements".

my notifications work just fine

Hello

I have also observed that some publish notification is not getting through.

I never received notification on this one: GC24V0T.

Today I received 2 watchlist notification on this one GC22FAX, but I have no watch on this cache.

/HelgeLarsen

Here in the Seattle area, it appears that a notification for GC24WE6 "Collie" did not go out when it published last night (March 10). I just happened to see a "new" flagged cache on my "closest to home" list, (and managed to beat out the usual FTF crazies the next morning.) Two other cachers also reported not getting a notification on this cache.

A couple months ago the same thing happened on a cache I placed: GC23B03, As cache owner, I got a notification that it had been published, but after 4 hours went by with no FTF I began to wonder. Eventually several people told me that they had gotten no notification on it.

It may mean nothing, but I know I did change the "placed" date on my cache before I submitted it (it took a few days to get everything right)

LostSparky

No notifications on the following new caches over the last two days:

GC24T97

GC24TA2

GC24WV2

GC24WVK

Other cachers in/around the Asheville NC area have also not received email notifications.

Edited to add: The last new cache publication email -- for a cache NOT owned by me -- hit my inbox at 2:23pm Eastern on March 10, 2010. I *have* received email notiications for my own newly published caches. The above four caches are NOT mine and according to their cache pages were published on March 10 and March 11.

Edited by OzGuff

Ok, so it seemed worse than it apparently is, maybe just from the frustration of not knowing of new caches 2 miles from home, but here's my list for the last couple of months. This notification is set for Traditionals, New and Enable, and goes to the Verizon vzwpix address.

Notifications received

Feb 15 GC23Z2M (new)

Feb 24 GC24871 (new)

Feb 28 GC1ZX6E (enable)

March 1 GC21A2E (enable)

March 7 GC1R568 (enable)

March 8 GC1VMQ0 (enable)

March 11 GC24VVZ (new)

March 11 GC24VVC (new)

March 11 GC24VV4 (new)

Notifications not received

Jan 6 GC21NJH (new)

Jan 22 GC236RH (new)

Feb 14 GC23Z2M (new)

March 7 GC24PZ5 (new)

Odd that its so intermittent.

Oddly enough, I have not been receiving new cache notifications either. There were 2 published in the last week - one by myself, and another by a different cacher. I received the usual "new posting" emails that I got even when I was not a Premium member, but I did not get any other sort of notification.

I know that the emails went out since other cachers were aware of the new listings immediately, but for some reason, I dont appear to be on the list.

I had a trial Premium membership and during that time I received notices of new caches during Oct and Nov of 2009. Even then it seemed to be hit and miss. I am sure that there were some caches published that I did not get an email about.

I became a Premium member on Dec 28 2009, and I think I have received 4 new cache notifications on Jan 10 2010 for GC22MR5, GC22KW7, GC22J8M, GC22CVB, one on Jan 30 2010 for GC20C6C, one on Feb 20 2010 for GC2453T and a couple of others.

However, there was a cache published Mar 8 2010 for GC1ZP8G which I did not get an email for. Was it too far away at 52 KM? Maybe, but cache GC23A93 was published Jan 24 2010 and I did not get notification, and it is abut 3 KM away.

It is possible that somewhere in the interwebs, these emails are being eaten. It seems odd that a few get eaten and a few get through.

Is there anyway of using 2 email addresses for notifications? Then I could compare the 2 to see if some notices make it through or not.

I went into "Your Account Details", and in "E-Mail Preferences" I clicked "Change", and then de-selected all the Email Preferences, saved the changes, and then went back in, and re-selected what I wanted. Today I got a new cache notification. Maybe the database "forgot" my settings, and I had to refresh them?

Still watching this issue and gathering data. Thanks for all the reports folks.

Just a note for Nate, received notifications for all 5 caches published in my watch area last night, so it seems it worked this time. Thanks for keeping track of this.

Now if you can just do something about RattlingCrew publishing at 10:30 pm... :)

My caching buddies and I in Brisbane Qld Australia have been having trouble with notifications too. Seems quite random. Sometimes some of us will get instant notification of a specific cache and others won't. I get some within my parameters but not others.

So....worldwide problem?

Found a new cache this morning GC24W3F which is only 19.5km from home co-ords and have no idea when it was published. All I know it was hidden by someone in Germany (no record of been in Oz) and Publish by a OS reviewer as well. No notification recieved.