How long is a rail?

rogbarn

Since you said near railroads, I'm assuming that they're talking about the rail itself. Previous references to sectional rail that I've seen are either 30 feet or 33 feet. Most railroad mainlines are welded 'ribbon' rail now. However, some sidings are still sectional, so you could measure those, notwithstanding the trespassing issue.

That's what "8 1/2 RAILS EAST OF THE BRIDGE" means. I was looking in totally the wrong place for the benchmark then. I may have to go look for that one again now that I know. The mark should be about 300 feet east of the bridge, give or take 50'. Not at all where I was looking.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

This is not perfect, in that as has already been noted most track these days is continuous ribbon rail welded at it's joints, however if you are looking for a benchmark, and see that there are sections or rail bolted together, follow the tracks in the direction indicated and count off the pieces of rail.

If the rail is continuous ribbon type, you will have to resort to the tape measure. You may find sectionalized track around juctions for sidings, which should approximate the original rail length for the area that sidding is in.

Another thought is to be alert the next time you are on a newer bike trail that was converted from a rail line recently. You _may_ find sections of track that you can measure and use as a reference. Of course some of this may be scrap cut from original rail lengths, but if it falls into one of the lengths noted earlier, (33, 36 or 39 feet) you should have a good reference for your area.

-Rusty