TBs being in COs home.

joranda

Should the travel bugs be inside the CO home when the cache is outside? Do you feel comfortable with having to go to the home owners door to retreive travel bugs? It just don't seem right for the travel bug owners to have them left in a cache inside of the house when the log is outside in another cache.

Just how did this come about?

It is not alright to have to go to someone's house to retrieve a traveler that is "supposed" to be in a cache.

...left in a cache inside of the house when the log is outside in another cache.

Is there more to this story? Or is it just that the traveler(s) could be mis-logged?

Sounds like "overprotective paranoia" to me. Do they let you take it or just log a discovery??

If they let you take it, meeting you face to face is not going to guarantee the bugs safety any longer than it is in your hands. After you drop it, are they going to "blame" you if it goes missing??

Sounds like something I would veer away from.

Please tell us more of the background!! :rolleyes:

Should the travel bugs be inside the CO home when the cache is outside? Do you feel comfortable with having to go to the home owners door to retreive travel bugs? It just don't seem right for the travel bug owners to have them left in a cache inside of the house when the log is outside in another cache.

I have never heard of or seen such a case. A trackable should be logged at the location where it actually is.

GermanSailor

Who owns the TBs? Someone else? Then they should not be in the home, they should be in the cache, that is how it is supposed to be. Is the log book in the home, too? If so, in that case, the home becomes the cache container now, doesn't it? Does he leave a key, if he isn't home to let you in? If he doesn't leave you a key, then the TBs must be placed in the cache, so you may access them when you want to go caching, without having to make an appointment, since you don't know how long it will take to find all the caches you plan to search for, you don't know what time you will show up. Simple as that. Ask him to leave a key, so you may log the TBs, and don't want to wake him, since you plan to night cache at 2AM, but you want to move some TBs. Let me know what he says. :rolleyes:

If he can't do that, then I wouldn't even leave TBs in his cache.

Or hers.

Who owns the TBs? Someone else? Then they should not be in the home, they should be in the cache, that is how it is supposed to be. Is the log book in the home, too? If so, in that case, the home becomes the cache container now, doesn't it? Does he leave a key, if he isn't home to let you in? If he doesn't leave you a key, then the TBs must be placed in the cache, so you may access them when you want to go caching, without having to make an appointment, since you don't know how long it will take to find all the caches you plan to search for, you don't know what time you will show up. Simple as that. Ask him to leave a key, so you may log the TBs, and don't want to wake him, since you plan to night cache at 2AM, but you want to move some TBs. Let me know what he says. :)

If he can't do that, then I wouldn't even leave TBs in his cache.

Or hers.

If you look at the cache page and the logs too. There is a log book in both caches but you have to prove that you found the one outside before you can get to the one inside. Then they go around picking up TBs and place them in there TB hotel. Plus it is listed as a trad cache but to me it shows like a mystery. :blink:

This is how the cache page reads. Maybe I am not reading it right. :)

To help keep this cache active for others to find and enjoy, please observe these conditions:

1. For your own safety, you do *not* have to climb or otherwise step on anything to access this cache.

2. You do *not* have to use any tools of any kind.

3. You do *not* have to cross other private property to access this cache.

4. Please attempt this cache during daylight hours, unless you have emailed or otherwise contacted us prior to your visit.

5. Have fun!

This cache was placed with the owner's permission.

Greetings! This cache was started for multiple reasons, but we mainly placed this cache with two goals in mind:

1. We wanted to create a cache that could be a safe home for geocoins and travel bugs, as many travelers tend to get lost, especially in unsupervised travel bug hotels.

2. The other big reason why we chose to plant this cache is to meet local (and the not-so-local) cachers that travel through the area. So, come on by, do the cache and knock on our door! If we are home, we'd be glad to stop and chat with you.

To aid our fellow cachers in being sure that they are caching where they are supposed to be caching, we have affixed a Geocaching.com logo decal to our front door. If you see that logo, you're at the right spot!

Since this is a resting spot for geocaching travelers, we encourage you to bring any geocoins, travel bugs or Jeeps along and drop them off or swap them for other travelers. However, even if you don't have any to move along you can still do the cache.

To maintain the security and integrity of this cache's contents, an alternate container will be found at the coordinates at all times. You will need to bring something to write with. If we are home, however, just knock on the front door and you may look through and log the main container...that is, only if you can point out the outside container to us first. :blink:

Thanks for visiting!

I can understand the reasoning to keep the travelers safe, but just what expectation does the CO have once it leaves the cache?

There are many who will not do a cache in a person's front yard, I'll bet there are many more that will not knock on the door, geocaching sign or no!

I can also think of other reasons, but decline to address them here as it would promote a wide array of OT discussions. Read between the lines and I think you will understand.

IMO this is worse than a TB prison, this is a TB maximum security detention facility.

No it is not. It must have changed after publication. It will be fixed very shortly. I know somebody, why knows somebody that can make things happen.

Well, well, well...it seems my humble little travel bug hotel has caused quite a stir. In my own defense, I want to clarify a few things.

1. This is no travel bug prison of any kind. I generally hold onto any bugs that stay here for a couple weeks max just in case anyone comes by. If no one picks them up, I move them. People can visit my home cache during posted hours and the first thing I do is bring out the ammo can that has any bugs. Simple.

2. I know that I cannot protect a geocoin or travel bug when it's traveling, but my reasoning for this setup was to try to do so as best I could while it was here, nothing more.

3. I know many will not go there, but I will. I openly declare that this is a personal agenda set forth by joranda because I had to audacity to question, if not slightly insult his brother Cav Scout. I ask you this...why would someone, living where he does in central Illinois, care about a nondescript cache in central Missouri, much less take the time to look over my caching activities? He has never cached here as far as I can tell and has expressed no desire to either. It seems awfully fishy and VERY childish.

So here's the deal. No one in this thread has actually visited my home cache, much less the OP, who is completely in the wrong. I have had over 60 visits to this cache since it was published and not one person has complained about it at all. As a matter of fact, most have said they have loved the concept and the cache as a whole. I will not be changing it unless TPTB demand that I do.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I did that cache! It was horrible - I had to talk to a real person about geocaching! And the &^%$%! even gave me hints about how to find the cache! And then he had the GALL to ask me to take a TB with me and move it to another cache! (Which I would have done anyway.) The NERVE of some people!