Rising Sun Mint "Geocoin"

Pasha88

I'd be willing to bet $ that 'MorbidKittens' is Shawn from Rising Sun Mint.

Same grammar errors that are very noticeable. Check the IP address.

Anyhow, I knew their quality wasn't great, just wanted some cheapos for giftos in the cachos. Can't wait for the itty bitty micro version coins to come in, lol.

Instead of some of you coming up with Crazy Conspiracy's (GET ON YOUR TIN FOIL HATS)

Why not contact them and ask them ????

Geocaching@RisingSunMint.Com

I mean it is on there ebay account ???

Whatever just an idea .. Or you can continue to act like a bunch of old lady's .

ROFL :blink:

to the brave soul that hides behind this "sock puppet" account...do you honestly think "rising sun mint" or the ebay seller "ameropaintball" and "central metal corp" (who appears to be working in conjuction with the mint) will give a truthful answer as to how they acquired the "knights templar geocoin" design, and were selling it on ebay, in violation of the original geocoin designers' rights?! hmmm...no crazy conspiracy theory needed here. they are in possession of stolen property, plain and simple, and at the very least, they are guilty of unethical practices. among these practices is selling inferior items to unsuspecting buyers. even a little old lady with sock puppets over her eyes can see that! peace.

Link to the Questionable ebay auction

And the description says "3 in the series", so I don't think the copyright violation is going to stop there.

I'd be willing to bet $ that 'MorbidKittens' is Shawn from Rising Sun Mint.

Same grammar errors that are very noticeable. Check the IP address.

Anyhow, I knew their quality wasn't great, just wanted some cheapos for giftos in the cachos. Can't wait for the itty bitty micro version coins to come in, lol.

You mean the ones that weigh a Gram?? That'll be a first, and maybe worth getting. I thing the 5 Grain gold bar it probably the first Coin I've seen that would fit in a Nano Cache.

Here's an idea...instead of hiding the size and inferior quality of the Coins behind impressive and official sounding descriptions...actually make them trackable Nano Coins, and market them as such. I'll bet they couls sell a bunch to us collectors for the sheer novelty of it.

I really like the coin that's described as .100 mils gold coating. Notice that it's "Point 100 Mils" so that's 1/10th of 1/1000th of an inch thick?? Of courst they WANT people to beleive that it says "100 mils" which would be 1/10th of an inch...I doubt the entire coin is that thick.

well anyway, you have to admire their creativity. Now ANYONE can afford gold bullion coins.

They really know what they're doing...the gold bar is going for $34...it's just over 1/100th of an ounce, so that's almost $3,400 per ounce for gold...How could you NOT do it. If people are willing to buy it...you HAVE to. They're not even really deceiving them. The weight and size are listed right there

Edit for math correction.

I guess I'm getting off topic...

I'm glad to hear from Annie that they are indeed selling approved Geocoins, and maybe there were just some errors with the activation codes.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I just purchased two coins from this person...unfortunately I have not yet been able to activate my coins because the person won't provide the information (and yes I did email geocaching@risingsunmint.com). They have 24 hours to respond and then I am going to contact PayPal to get my refund. Wish I saw this topic before I bought my coins....bummer.

:laughing:

Invent2010@gmail.com

They really know what they're doing...the gold bar is going for $34...it's just over 1/100th of an ounce, so that's almost $3,400 per ounce for gold...How could you NOT do it. If people are willing to buy it...you HAVE to. They're not even really deceiving them. The weight and size are listed right there

Edit for math correction.

I guess I'm getting off topic...

I'm glad to hear from Annie that they are indeed selling approved Geocoins, and maybe there were just some errors with the activation codes.

I just purchased two coins from this person...unfortunately I have not yet been able to activate my coins because the person won't provide the information (and yes I did email geocaching@risingsunmint.com). They have 24 hours to respond and then I am going to contact PayPal to get my refund. Wish I saw this topic before I bought my coins....bummer.

Invent2010@gmail.com

Recently, while ebay shopping, I saw a VERY cute "golden retriever" geocoin, made by Rising Sun Mint. I'd a huge golden fan, so I bought it without a thought.

The front of the coin has a photo of a retriever, and the back says "The Rising Sun Mint 2010, Golden Retriever, track at geocaching.com" with the tracking #.

Coin is alright; not the greatest quality, dog is just a sticker on the front of the metal coin. Thing is... when I tried activating the coin, geocaching said the tracking number did not exist!! WTH???

Has anyone else puchased coins from this seller? Is Rising Sun Mint legit?

I see in another post that the seller (ameropaintball) was caught selling unauthorized copies of another cacher's coins - is it possible this coin is fake as well?

I have contacted the seller to find out about the activation code... perhaps I was just supplied with the wrong code. Will post when I receive a response...

Ay help would be great, thanks.

Invent2010@gmail.com

Feel free to send an email to contact@geocaching.com and put it attention Annie and I can look into this for you as well.

I was able to get my activation codes after 3 emails. The seller "ameropaintball" was a complete jerk. Says I didn't wait 24hrs for a response...emailed him 2 days before. Called me pathetic. He's the pathetic one; him and his poorly exhibited "professional" behavior.

Regardless, I got my coins to use now....but DEFINITELY will NOT buy from this guy on Ebay again....

-Invent2010.

Invent2010@gmail.com

Feel free to send an email to contact@geocaching.com and put it attention Annie and I can look into this for you as well.

I ordered a Black Scorpion coin from ameropaintball on the 20th of this month. I have not received it yet.

It says trackable at gc.com in the photo. If not I'm only out $5.25.

These are companies who are not part of the geocaching community but out to make a quick buck on geocoins. I hope they have at least reputable practices.

I recieved my Welsh Corgi coin from The Rising Sun mint today. They exchanged it for the mistaken Golden Retiever that I sent back. (at my expense) These coins are not great quality - the dogs are just stickers, they do come in plastic cases. The one I tried to activate worked fine, they did respond to my emails, and I paid less than $5.00 each for them so all in all I'm satistied with my deal with them at least.

Lucky you PaRacers! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of plastic case did they come in?

Thanks,

pasha

I believe they're called "proof cases" they're round, made of hard clear plastic and completely enclose the coins

I recieved my Welsh Corgi coin from The Rising Sun mint today. They exchanged it for the mistaken Golden Retiever that I sent back. (at my expense) These coins are not great quality - the dogs are just stickers, they do come in plastic cases. The one I tried to activate worked fine, they did respond to my emails, and I paid less than $5.00 each for them so all in all I'm satistied with my deal with them at least.

Lucky you PaRacers! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of plastic case did they come in?

Thanks,

pasha

I believe they're called "proof cases" they're round, made of hard clear plastic and completely enclose the coins

They are also known as capsules but I would get your coins out of them asap as they are probably poor quality ones that will do your coins more harm than good (aka chemical fumes)

Thanks,

pasha

They are also known as capsules but I would get your coins out of them asap as they are probably poor quality ones that will do your coins more harm than good (aka chemical fumes)

It's ok... my coins didn't come with them so no worries there :S

I just wish people would advertise their products properly, you know?

Okay, I bought some coins from these folks...shipping time was normal, coin quality exactly what I expected for $4-5, coin containers were the same as every other coin I've traded for or purchased came in, received tracking numbers within 48 hours of request.

ILYK

I too have recently purchased a $100 aluminum geocoin from the Rising Sun Mint. I noticed the miss spelling and after reading this thread, I got nervous. However, I emailed the mint : Geocaching@risingsunmint.com and got the activation codes and had no problems activating on Geocaching.com.

I'll admit, their website is very odd, but emailing them worked and I love the coins, bars, or dollars (however you would describe them).

My wife has bought a number of coins from these folks, 2 100$ in fact mine is showed as the back side in the photo, 11 of 250. A biohazard, a golden retrever, a zombie hunter, and a zombie hunter permit. After reading this thread I got nervous because 4 were still unactivated. I sent the request for codes and recieved them withih 12 hours like they said. The golden and zombie permit both came in proof cases, seem sealed good enough. I just hope that the limited number is for real. The coins are kind of cool, and the gerocaching spelling is what makes them collectable right? The bills are kind if big to put into play anyway, I dont see them lasting that long in the field. Just putting in my buck three eighty.

I realize that this thread is more than two years old, but I thought it still might be worthwhile to respond to this particular point...

Thanks,

pasha

We just picked up a geocoin produced by this company. It was in the proof case, and is in pretty good condition, all things considered. There is no readily-noticeable tarnish on the reverse, although there does appear to be a soft patina which one would except from most metals used in minting of any sort. The coin is dated 2010, so it's been in this case for two-years-plus; thus, it seems likely that one need not worry about the quality of the plastic used. There will always be exceptions, of course; nothing that is mass-produced is ever perfect.

I bought the Golden Retriever and Welsh Corgi in 2010. As others noted, the dogs are just paper stickers on a metal coin. I meant to send them both out, but the Golden Retriever disappeared in the first cache, so I kept the Corgi and I am holding it in my hand right now. It is fairly low quality, but it has a certain charm and I like it well enough. I had no trouble activating either one, but I do remember that getting the activation codes was sort of irritating. Rising Sun coins are not great art, but they do put a smile on my face.

I got one of these Prembroke Welsh Corgi geocoins from the The Rising Sun Mint as well. Not knowing anything about these, I got one cheap on eBay. I thought it would be like any other coin or TB in that it would come with the activation code or refer you to their maker's website where they would give you the code. This didn't come with either. I used the contact information given in this thread (i.e. geocaching@risingsunmint.com) with no help. (The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect.) The website ww2.risingsunmint.com is nothing but a redirect search website. Has this company gone out of business? If so, are these inactivated coins now worthless?

I got one of these Prembroke Welsh Corgi geocoins from the The Rising Sun Mint as well. Not knowing anything about these, I got one cheap on eBay. I thought it would be like any other coin or TB in that it would come with the activation code or refer you to their maker's website where they would give you the code. This didn't come with either. I used the contact information given in this thread (i.e. geocaching@risingsunmint.com) with no help. (The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect.) The website ww2.risingsunmint.com is nothing but a redirect search website. Has this company gone out of business? If so, are these inactivated coins now worthless?

You can always try "Retrieve an activation code"

Just a comment Great Scott. Never show the tracking number in a photo. Now anybody who reads this forum can grab/discover/whatever this coin. There are people who when they find these send them around and if the frog finds out the trackable gets locked and is now useless.

Took me 2.5 years to respond to this comment. The picture I posted was from the ebay listing.

You can always try "Retrieve an activation code"

Thank you very much, this worked like charm :)