Removing and Archiving caches when one moves?

legolaws

I do not know if this has been discussed, and I looked at the titles of the first five pages of threads and did not see anything promising. So here is my situation. We, my wife and I, are most likely going to be moving away from our area within a year. I have placed about 50 caches and want to know if I should pick them up and archive them, this would allow me to place them in our new area, or leave them and see if others would like to adopt them, this would not allow new cachers in the area much room to place caches of there own.

What is the most common practice when moving out of the area? I know I have seen some cachers archive a cache, but I know it is still there. I do not want to leave geotrash, but do not know if others will want to do the maintainence on these caches. What are some thoughts on this issue?

Edited by legolaws

Do whatever suits you best.

If we were moving from our area then we might try and see if anyone would like to adopt a two or three of our favourite, most interesting caches but I think we'd archive the rest and collect in the containers.

I think it's good to archive 'run-of-the-mill' caches, it allows other people to place new caches, thus refreshing the caching experiences in any particular area.

As you state, it's important that containers are not left about as geo-trash when cachers move on to new locations.

Good luck with your move.

MrsB :wub:

I do not know if this has been discussed, and I looked at the titles of the first five pages of threads and did not see anything promising. So here is my situation. We, my wife and I, are most likely going to be moving away from our area within a year. I have placed about 50 caches and want to know if I should pick them up and archive them, this would allow me to place them in our new area, or leave them and see if others would like to adopt them, this would not allow new cachers in the area much room to place caches of there own.

What is the most common practice when moving out of the area? I know I have see some cachers archive the cache, but I know it is still there. I do not want to leave geotrash, but do not know if others will want to do the maintainence on these caches. What are some thoughts on this issue?

If you have some that are really popular and have a lot of history, you may want to see if someone would like to adopt those.

Then pick up and archive the rest.

We had a prolific cacher in this area move a couple of years ago. A bunch of us chose to adopt a number of his caches. We kept his name associated with the caches and it's almost like he never left. Well, you get the idea. He was a good friend and it's a good way to keep the memory alive.

If there is something truly awesome about your caches, then adopt them out. If not, archive them and take them with you.

Examples of awesomness are:

Super old caches that have a history connected with geocaching or some historic event (Like a sachel cache placed at the spot where DB Coopers money was found)

A really awesome cache container that was built specifically for where it is such as a commerative plaque cache that was forged with the information of a particular site.

Examples of non-awesome caches:

Any film can, altoids tin, lock&lock, ammo can, bison tube, blinkie, tupperware container, etc that is placed in any random fashion.

The awesomness of the location isn't important because an awesome location will get a new cache soon enough. Most ANY urban hide should be removed and archived. And there is no reason, at all, to ever adopt out any micro spew caches.

I hope that helps you with your decision.

When I moved from Indiana to Texas about a year ago I archived all but three of my caches. One was one of the oldest in the county and was adopted, and two which were in a local state park were cared for by a friend until the Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources permit expired later in the year, then archived. Since most containers were Lock 'N Locks I've been able to recycle them. This freed-up space for others to use and resulted in not leaving containers which could turn up missing or in need of maintenance. My opinion is that if you can't maintain them you should archive them unless someone offers to adopt them. I agree that historical or very notable caches should be continued if at all possible.

Hey Legolaws,

If ya want to keep them going, I'd adopt them and I'm sure some of the other "usual suspects" would as well. If so, you would just put them all on a watchlist to keep getting the logs. I'd keep the ECs for yourself though...no real reason to adopt or archive those at all. Just give me a chance to get out on the paddle caches before you do anything!! :blink:

Cheers