Upgrading - waste of money?

Hi

At present we use the Garmin GPS60 (have dusted it off from a good few months/yrs of hiding).

So used to the 'newer' gadgets of today - I am now finding it quite 'old fashioned' and am yearning towards a paperless geocaching GPS.

Another thing - I do struggle to find the nano/micro caches... now are the 'newer' GPS units more accurate or should I just stick with my chunky yellow machine? I have now upgraded the software on my laptop and can download to and from easily.

So would you upgrade? :sad:

I'm sure there are alot of cachers out there with older GPSrs who still use paper printouts for caching. I do! I suppose going paperless is a personal choice, I'm happy to print off cache pages or jot down notes for caches I'm seeking.

As for accuracy, B&R has pretty much said it. A more accurate GPSr may not get you any closer to the cache if the setters co-ords are a little bit out. However since upgrading from an old Etrex Venture to a Summit HC I have noticed it helps sometimes.

The main improvement I found in my upgrade was the addition of an electronic compass, I now know which direction I want to be moving in before I start moving!

I just get so frustrated if I don't fine a cache... and my GPS today kept changing its mind on how far it was - alongside this there wasn't alot of places to hide it unless it was in the bushes, which for a micro was looking for a needle in a haystack senario!!! One moment I was within 1ft then 20ft then 30ft!!!!

3 diff locations, 3 unsolved caches today :sad:

Oh so unsure whether to go for the nice posh one or not!! lol (and my printer has broke too)

The main reasons for upgrading are that the up-to-date GPS chips are more capable of keeping an accurate satellite fix in difficult conditions, faster to get a lock, and capable of holding much more information. If your typical caching day is one or two caches out in open country then it's probably not going to be worth it.

But in woodland, or in built-up areas you'll see a marked improvement. Also, if you travel around a lot you'll be able to take advantage of the ability to just find a cache on a whim, without having to prepare too much in advance.

Thanks - think I will upgrade - now to what model lol??

People are going to recommend the unit they own, but these won't necessarily be ideal for you. It depends on how much effort you want to put in to loading the GPSr with caches, whether size and weight is a factor, and what type of mapping you want (if any).

So really it's up to you to do a bit of research. Have a look in the GPS forum, and check out the Garmin website. Anyway, it partly depends on how much you can afford to pay.

Thanks - think I will upgrade - now to what model lol??

Decide what you want from it first..... otherwise you'll get bombarded with suggestions!

Some things I would consider first.......

• Set a budget
  • How much use will you get out of it? No point spending a fortune unless you use it lots...
  • Do you want maps on screen? If so what level of mapping (free opensource, topo or OS standard)
  • Do you want to do paperless caching? If so do you want the whole cache page or are you happy with just the coords and the clue?
  • What sort of caching do you do? Urban or rural?
  • What sort of battery life will you need?
  • These days you can cache on a GPS, a PDA or a phone........ do you have a preference which one you would prefer?
  • How computer savvy are you? For example would you be happy to filter caches on third party database or would you prefer to just 'drag & drop' a PQ into your unit?

Once you have an idea what you want out of a gps then you should be able to get some more constructive feedback as to which unit you shold buy......

Good luck!

I went from sharing an eTrex with my caching partner to a PDA with a bluetooth GPS which was brilliant for paperless.

I then got a new phone running windows with a GPS which was good up to the point where I has a really frustrating day where I had to defer to my partner (who now has my old PDA).

I finally bit the bullet and got myself an Oregon. I would highly recommend it but it can be pricey even if you use eBay like I did.

If you are new to caching you should stick with a basic model until you're sure you want to commit to the hobby. I've been caching for nearly 3 years and have no plans to stop so I spent the money.

As with other posts, upgrading would get you a more sensitive GPS but TBH it's not really needed once you get used to using the kit and develop your 'cachers eye'

I went from sharing an eTrex with my caching partner to a PDA with a bluetooth GPS which was brilliant for paperless.

I then got a new phone running windows with a GPS which was good up to the point where I has a really frustrating day where I had to defer to my partner (who now has my old PDA).

I finally bit the bullet and got myself an Oregon. I would highly recommend it but it can be pricey even if you use eBay like I did.

If you are new to caching you should stick with a basic model until you're sure you want to commit to the hobby. I've been caching for nearly 3 years and have no plans to stop so I spent the money.

As with other posts, upgrading would get you a more sensitive GPS but TBH it's not really needed once you get used to using the kit and develop your 'cachers eye'

I so badly want a cachers eye! .... :laughing:

Hi

At present we use the Garmin GPS60 (have dusted it off from a good few months/yrs of hiding).

So used to the 'newer' gadgets of today - I am now finding it quite 'old fashioned' and am yearning towards a paperless geocaching GPS.

Another thing - I do struggle to find the nano/micro caches... now are the 'newer' GPS units more accurate or should I just stick with my chunky yellow machine? I have now upgraded the software on my laptop and can download to and from easily.

So would you upgrade? :lol:

Upgrading will depend on just what you're trying to achieve. I still use my trusty 60CSx, which is noticeably better than my old 60CS. The 60CS now sits in a drawer somewhere.

A better chipset will be good for maintaining cover in tricky areas. Walking through areas of Exmoor with both the 60CS and 60CSx I was very conscious just how often the CS lost satellite cover, while the CSx didn't miss a beat. So from that perspective you save a lot of frustration if you're not constantly losing cover in urban canyons or under trees.

Paperless caching can be done with a smartphone as well as a GPS - I cache with a 60CSx to store the locations and names (with caches renamed to show the type, size and d/t rating as well as their name) and then the smartphone to store the full cache details. It's perhaps not as convenient as using an all-in-one unit but since I'd carry a GPS and phone anyway the advantage of having a GPS that also had full cache details is limited.

If you want to do Wherigo caches you'll need to use either a newer unit (Colorado or Oregon) or a smartphone of some description. My Windoze smartphone supports Wherigo, although the built-in GPS is dreadful so I use a bluetooth device that clips to my keyring.