Time for an upgrade!

Hey, I'm thinkning its time for an upgrade from my etrex (yes it does do the job) but i'm wanting something with a little more umpfff!

Ive had a look around and dont have the £200+ budget for the lovely Oregon so i'm thinking more down the Garmin 60 or Garmin 60Cx route.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any more knowledge they could share or if anyone knows where I could pick one up cheap or even selling one?

Thanks alot!!

I have just got a GPSMAP 60csx from pentagon GPS. They are very helpful and you get free next day delivery.

I paid £227 delivered with a 4GB micro sdhc card.

I went from an etrex legend to this device, and it is a great bit of kit. I used it in anger for the first time yesterday and it is a dream to use. I can't see a reason for upgrading now for a good few years.

Along similar lines as the OP. I am looking to bite the bullet and upgrade from Etrex h to either:

Oregon 400T

Oregon 450

Satmap 10

Can any of them also be used as car Sat Nav with voice directions?

Sorry GeoBardy to piggyback your thread, but, as we seem to be looking at about the same cost unit thought it better than a new thread.

Along similar lines as the OP. I am looking to bite the bullet and upgrade from Etrex h to either:

Oregon 400T

Oregon 450

Satmap 10

Can any of them also be used as car Sat Nav with voice directions?

Sorry GeoBardy to piggyback your thread, but, as we seem to be looking at about the same cost unit thought it better than a new thread.

The Oregon 400/450 with the Garmin maps (topo or GB OS Discoverer) they can do turn by turn routing but won't talk to you! No idea about the satmap.

I'm using a 450 with OS GB Discoverer maps and it is pretty good. The 3 axis compass is the best bit - you don't have to hold the think level all the time to get the compass to display properly.

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

Oregon 400T

Oregon 450

Satmap 10

If you can get any of those for less than £200 I'd love to know where. Liam's already said he can't afford an Oregon.

Liam, some people swear by their GPS60CSx's, and two local people I have demo'd my Oregon with OS maps on still prefer their 60CSx. I think they're mad, but the 60CSx is a very capable unit.

Oregon 400T

Oregon 450

Satmap 10

If you can get any of those for less than £200 I'd love to know where. Liam's already said he can't afford an Oregon.

Liam, some people swear by their GPS60CSx's, and two local people I have demo'd my Oregon with OS maps on still prefer their 60CSx. I think they're mad, but the 60CSx is a very capable unit.

I got my Oregon 300 for less than £200 - although it was secondhand. The previous owner couldn't get on with it and so sold it to me. Once I calibrated it properly, it worked a treat. That being said, I still use my 60CSx just as much as the Oregon. If money is an issue - go for the 60CSx and get one of the experts to talk you through putting some of the Openstreetmap maps on it. (Or better still - ask nicely and Talkytoaster will do an SD card for you)

Edited by Nick & Ali

We have an Oregon 300 with mapping (OS) for the South of England and its a lovely piece of equipment, but still not as accurate as the wife's 60 csx, pinpoints within inches, it really does. One just has to hope that it was placed by a similar GPS though !! To be honest the only time that the Oregon comes out is to read the cache sheet/hint and look at the map for confirmation. The 60csx has Toasty Mapping, the hint and accuracy. So the choice is yours!!

I've an Oregon 300 which is a great bit of kit for what I use it for (geocaching, cycling, occasionally directions ), but that doesn't mean its best for you. Also it's the only gps I've owned (except tomtom) so I've nothing to compare it to.

Might be helpful if you list the features you want and what you use it for then the collective wisdom on here can probably suggest relevant Units and places with deals to suit your budget.

Thanks for all your advice guys it really does help.

I think i'll most likely go for the Garmin 60Cx with people saying it does the job to a T and has the mapping system and after playing on a fellow cachers (Mr wheelybarrow's) i think that’s the one I want.

Regarding the paperless caching, ive become quite a fan of using my iphone being able to log caches out and about too! But i have also just started a little project from purchasing a £12 PDA from eBay which i'll be setting up for weekend trips where an iphone battery simply wont last!

Again thanks for all your help.

PS, stuey - see you soon at your event!