FTF prize

aussiealstons

Hi,

We are about to place our first hide. We would like to place a FTF prize. As we have not had a FTF ourselves, I am looking for some advice on what to put in the cache. It will be a regular size.

Thanks,

The Alstons

It can be most anything of modest value. One of our FTFs was near a coffee shop so we got $3 for a cup of coffee. A $5 gift certificate to a near-by store would be the most I would spring for. We have non-trackable signature coins we give out as FTF prizes. Those cost us about $5 each.

69b31444-d1ba-4a38-9526-ec7860f78ec3.jpg

However, do not feel obligated to give out any FTF prize. Some geocachers (not me) believe that no FTF prizes should be given at all. Some geocachers take FTF way too seriously. Personally, I enjoy being FTF of a cache but I am not a fanatic about it. I also enjoy giving FTF prizes. In short, it's really whatever you want to do. Good luck.

FTF "prizes" aren't necessary. Many folks do not even like placement of such things.

Of course those that find them, usually appreciate them.

We have seen "Where's George" bills, unscratched lottery tickets, fast-food coupons; have heard about more expensive things, too.

We live in an area that makes it easy for us to place a hide that involves real work for people to get to it -- there are easy finds, too. If we put together a toughie, we occasionally leave a "Jefferson" folded in the first pages of the logbook. For placements that involve a real hike, an unactivated geocoin is a treasure!

Being as you are in Aussieland though, I don't think those bills would help you. :) Maybe you could leave a nice crystal opal. :):lol:

The dollar amount should be whatever you are comfortable with. We have left gift certificates from a national coffee shop chain, our first cache and the cache commemorating my achieving my Canadian citizenship recently had a higher dollar amount. We have also left nothing...other than a blank log sheet. (And once I forgot that!) For those to get FTF, the honour is enough. A scratch and win $1 ticket is good too. I have seen caches published with small prizes for 3rd, 5th and 7th to find instead of the FTF or 2TF. Do whatever feels right to you, and have fun with your cache!

Edited by popokiiti

I like the idea of prizes for 3rd, 4th, and 5th to find.

Personally we have left a FTF Bozo button and $10. I know the two are extreme opposites. The $10 was for a cache that was 20' over the water in a very large tree that you had to climb. The tree is at an angle and it is about 25' from the shoreline.

It was unnecessary.

I know you've already chosen what to place, but I thought I'd add what we give out as FTF prizes. We live in a town where there are not a lot of caches (well, nearby Eugene has tons, but Junction City had three when we moved here). We put out a premade cache container complete with basic cammo and logbook (and sometimes even swag in it) and we say "we'd love it if you'd hide it in this area, but you don't have to" in hopes that people will hide caches in and around Junction City, but making sure they know that they can really put it wherever they want.

I know you've already chosen what to place, but I thought I'd add what we give out as FTF prizes. We live in a town where there are not a lot of caches (well, nearby Eugene has tons, but Junction City had three when we moved here). We put out a premade cache container complete with basic cammo and logbook (and sometimes even swag in it) and we say "we'd love it if you'd hide it in this area, but you don't have to" in hopes that people will hide caches in and around Junction City, but making sure they know that they can really put it wherever they want.

Very cool idea

We have just started placing a few caches. We are keeping with a theme of our namesake. We already leave a monkey from the Barrel of Monkeys game injust about every cache we find. The adult female part of this found a place online to get a miniature of the game, so we have been leaving those. I,myself, am crafting a cache that will have as the FTF prize a Glow in the Dark, Screaming, Flying Slingshot Monkey.

Parents cringe everywhere!

I like the idea of prizes for 3rd, 4th, and 5th to find.

Personally we have left a FTF Bozo button and $10. I know the two are extreme opposites. The $10 was for a cache that was 20' over the water in a very large tree that you had to climb. The tree is at an angle and it is about 25' from the shoreline.

It was unnecessary.

A local cacher did just that. GC1YE61 There was a prize for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Edited by Tobias & Petronella