WAAS 48, we will be loosing it.

xyzee

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced that one of the two WAAS GEO satellites will drift out of usable orbit within two to four weeks. Earlier this week, Intelsat announced it had lost control of its Galaxy 15 satellite that hosts the WAAS SBAS transponder used by the FAA.
(link)

edit: eraseek was faster.

Edited by PDOP's

I tried turning my manual on but it never even got excited.....

Oregons, Dakotas,etc are SUPPOSED to support WAAS but they DON'T and NEVER HAVE. Unreliably they will occasionally lock onto WAAS sats and display Ds on the other sat bars but will not maintain lock, and almost never display WAAS accuracy levels of <3m. (Garmin's own description )

Reluctantly Garmin has finally admitted that there is a WAAS reception problem with all those units, and that "they are working on it".

I guess I misstated. It does support but it never gets it. If I stand in an open field for an hour I might get a WAAS lock. But if I move it is gone. This is a well known problem with the Oregon series and part of way to extensive discussion on the Oregon Wikispaces including some rather dubious responses from the Garmin support who finally acknowledged it recently after being bombarded by calls and emails.

Quote We are working on it.

I bought a 60CSx to use when I do any cacheing under cover and use the Oregon for record keeping.

Edited by Walts Hunting

That's fine with me. I have an Oregon and they don't do WAAS. Maybe Garmin is paying them to destabilize it so they are no longer embarrassed by this significant flaw in their GPS's

The Oregon DOES support WAAS. Check your manual. You may not have turned it on.

The Oregon claims to support WAAS, but in the six months or more I've used my 550t, I've never once been able to sustain a lock on one of the WAAS birds. I've seen the "D" displayed briefly for some of the satellites, but within less than a minute the lock is lost and I might as well not have WAAS enabled. So far, WAAS has been nothing but, hypothetically, a waste of battery power.

--Larry

That's fine with me. I have an Oregon and they don't do WAAS. Maybe Garmin is paying them to destabilize it so they are no longer embarrassed by this significant flaw in their GPS's

Ironically, the only time my Oregon managed to receive signal from the WAAS bird is when I was indoors, and not near any windows either. I've never seen the "D" when I was outdoors, even with a complete clear view on top of a hill.

Ironically, the only time my Oregon managed to receive signal from the WAAS bird is when I was indoors, and not near any windows either. I've never seen the "D" when I was outdoors, even with a complete clear view on top of a hill.

Actually mine has been locking on quite a bit lately.