Lowrance Safari in Japan?

I have just got hooked on the Geo-Caching recently and purchase a Lowrance Safari. I am schedule to go to Japan for 6 weeks (work related) and want to take the hand held GPS with me and do some Geo Caching while I am there. Since I am new and I don't have much time to research and gather all the information, can someone tell me if it is possible to take this GPS to Japan and use it? A friend of mine took a Garmin GPS to Japan and was not able to get any satellite connection while he was there. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My Garmin works fine here in Japan. I`m not familiar with your particular unit, but most units should work anywhere in the world. After all, GPS does stand for Global Positioning System. It should still be able to find the satellites, although you might not have any maps unless you download them.

Edited by Happy Bubbles

Thanks for the information, can I ask a few more question? Will uploading the Japan map cause problem with the base map that is already in the device? Also is there a specific website that I can go and see about Japan map? What would be a reasonable price for Japan map? Thanks again for the support.

Thanks for the information, can I ask a few more question? Will uploading the Japan map cause problem with the base map that is already in the device? Also is there a specific website that I can go and see about Japan map? What would be a reasonable price for Japan map? Thanks again for the support.

I'm reasonably sure there is no Japan map compatible with this device.

Answers to your ?'s, nope, nope and $1 per Mapselect Quad.

Took a peek on Mapselect and there is satellite Imagery (only, no topo or BLM) for Japan. Take a look and see if it satisfies your needs.

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

Took a peek on Mapselect and there is satellite Imagery (only, no topo or BLM) for Japan. Take a look and see if it satisfies your needs.

Be safe.

N

MapSelect offers satellite imagery for Japan?

i geocached in japan last year with no japan maps loaded on my device. my wife is japanese so that helped of course. will you be working with any japanese folks while there? they could help you out as far as how to get close to ground zero and such. then you just use your gpsr just like you were at home.

edit to say that there are available maps for my garmin, i know you have a lowrance, but anyway there are so many dang streets i thought it wouldn't be worth it to download, plus most of the time i traveled on the subways and trains to get close to gz. here is an example of the garmin map from up up down website:

kyotoosaka_small.gif

Edited by namiboy

Be safe.

N

Take a look. Surprised me also. LOL

Be safe.

N

Be safe.

N

Be safe.

N

The entire globe is displayed on the site but can you actually select and download satellite images from Japan? It didn't work for me at least. When I tried a window was displayed with the msg. "No images available" (or something to that effect).

Be safe.

N

Be safe.

N

The entire globe is displayed on the site but can you actually select and download satellite images from Japan? It didn't work for me at least. When I tried a window was displayed with the msg. "No images available" (or something to that effect).

Yup, did the same thing then figured out it won't allow d/l's. Duh! Sorry for misleading you.

Be safe.

N