How important is an electronic compass in a GPS? And do I need any other hardware?

BethAnneS

I have been lurking a lot and reading here and am ready to jump into Geocaching! I have narrowed my GPS choices to the GarminLegend HCx and the Vista HCx. I did a side by side compare at the Garmin site and it seems as though the Legend is slightly cheaper, but the Vista includes an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter. How helpful is the compass?

Also, I already have a car GPS so I do not need to worry about using my handheld for that purpose other than when geocaching. Will I need any other "stuff" or can I just take the GPS out of the box, charge it, enter my caches and hit the road?

Thanks!

you don't technically need one for geocaching, but it's the one thing i miss the most on our geocaching device (a PDA). i never went geocaching with a device that has a compass myself, but i imagine it to be infinitely convenient. so my recommendation would be, if you have the choice, get one.

And on the other side of the coin, I have a 60CSx that has the E-Compass and I very seldom ever use the thing. For me, it's more of a tool of last resort if I can't seem to settle in on GZ. I'll then turn the compass on and set it down to let it think and zero in on the target while I wander around and evaluate the situation. Usually, I'll find the prize before I come back to look at the compass. More often than not, I forget the thing is there.

I cached so long without the built-in compass that I seldom consult mine now. You have a sort-of compass in the non-compass ones, if you can move fast enough, by the way. I think it's about three miles an hour. I did a lot of trotting in the woods, I must admit.

Depending on where you're caching -- yeah, unpack it, put batteries in, punch in your caches and go. You'll figure out along the line other things that are nice to have.

I have found it to be something I use all the time. It may be an individual thing too but I tried using my garmin nuvi that does not have it and could never zero in on the cache and on the other hand I have a blackberry with the blackstar nav. app and it has one and I can use it to get to the cache and come really close. I am looking into a PN-30(which does not have it) and a PN-40(which does) and I think I am going with the 40. It just seems the compass can simplify things a bit and now I am used to it with the BB so it will be on my next GPS. I am new to this also but the compass has really helped especially when I am trying to zero in on the cache but who knows as I get better I may not use it again!! :P

Edited by searchgeo

You see, this is where the differences in the way that people do things really show up.

Though not for geocaching, I have used a compass/maps for a VERY long time. Many years before there were any GPS satellites. However, the GPSr makes navigating so simple (really, it does), few people today really even know HOW to use a compass properly.

We use a PN-40 that has an electronic 3-axis compass. I calibrated it once, when new and haven't turned the thing on since! I am not forsaking a compass though, I carry a lensatic compass always while caching. But is only for the "what-if" circumstances -- which did happen once, so far.

With that said and out of the way, my answer to the OP is "No, you really don't need a GPSr with an electronic compass". If you are venturing far into the woods or other unknown areas, a compass of any type very well could be a lifesaver. So, remember a magnetic compass, or carry lotsa batteries, just in case (that isn't a bad idea, anyway). :P

Side Note: If you really "get into" geocaching, sooner or later you will upgrade to another GPSr anyway. Other features to include fully paperless caching is a boon. I believe all truly paperless GPSr units come with an electronic compass.

Some folks swear by the electronic compass in thier unit. Others swear at it.

I find them clunky, jerky and unreliable. Somebody else reading this won't cache without one and is thinking that they need to 'train' me in the proper use of a compass. Just the way it is.

I enjoy my electric compass even though it has its issues. My dad on the other had would hate it with a passion if he had to work with it. It depends on the person and what they need to do this. Some people can go out there with a map and traditional compass and do just fun. Other's need the entire paperless unit.

Up here we have lots of wilderness and I've had a couple of moments where I've wandered in (even though it's not necessarily far) and have been very happy to have waymarked my car so that I could point myself back out to it. I have a really bad sense of direction generally speaking so the traditional compasses have always been difficult with me.

I don't know how you would find a cache without an electronic compass. Isn't that the screen that points you to the cache?

yes and no. a real electronic compass will react to the earth's magnetic field and therefore the device will know which way you're holding it. so that arrow will always point to the right direction, even if you're not moving at all or if you hold the GPS upside down.

without a proper compass, the device will have to rely on the GPS signal to figure out which way you're headed. the problem is that this only works while you're moving (and at a minimum speed), and it will always consider the direction you're heading to be the "front" (or "up") on your screen. if you're moving and holding the GPS upside down, the arrow will point the wrong direction. if you stop moving, the arrow will either freeze and not move at all any more (even if you turn around on the spot) or start spinning wildy and randomly in all directions. of course, the GPS devices will still call the screen with the arrow "compass", even though there is no real compass involved.

all that being said, it's still also possible to geocache without using this "screen with arrow" at all. i never liked this screen and have always preferred looking at the map/track view, where the GPS draws a line of your movement. it gives me a much better feel of where GZ is and also doesn't require a compass at all.

Edited by dfx

Thank you so much for all the replies! I have never used a compass at all of any kind, LOL, and won't be venturing off in the wilderness anytime soon so I will think about it and hopefully get one for Mother's Day!

Hi... one thing that has been alluded to but not really stated... Many people find that those GPSr compasses are battery killers... most people I know keep them OFF unless required. The comments about carry lots of batteries is important, especially if you use the compass.

Me I use an old GPSr that doesn't have much other than basic functions... I use a separate orienteering style compass (Suunto) while caching, at least I have it handy to use. With the old gear, it is the reason I usually get the job done at all... but that is my chosen technique. Actually, it is often the only technique, since I have hard time with trees overhead and mountains.. for sure get the H receiver models.

When I go afield, I always have map and compass as a backup to the electronics. Way to many things can cause the GPS to become 'not available'. battery life, dropping, not to mention Murphy's Law in general.

Whatever compass you choose to get and use, by all means learn to use it well. It isn't really that hard to do and it has many other uses as well. IF you, like me wander WAY out at all, I carry a 2nd compass as well in the survival gear... even regular compasses can fail or get lost. Always good to go with a friend as well, and don't forget to leave a trip plan with someone so that one can know where you went off to.

Good luck and welcome to the game..

Doug

I don't know how you would find a cache without an electronic compass. Isn't that the screen that points you to the cache?

Like dfx said... not the compass... even old gear like mine has that compass like readout... in mine it's better than the 'road' screen by far.

Assuming one has the desired waypoint entered in and have good sat lock... entering into GOTO mode gives you access to the 'compass' or 'road' screen displays.

One of the data displays available is Track... that is the direction you are moving over the ground, and what can be used as a direction of travel indicator (compass of sorts) and also gives rate of travel estimate ( based on angular velocity calculation and subject to a little altitude error).

The important data one usually needs is clearly displayed in the 'compass' screen on mine... distance and bearing (mine corrects to give declination adjusted for either true or utm grid) to match my hand compass IF I require to take bearings to the target.

Most of the time as long as the distance decreases, you are heading to the target area... the direction is sometimes handy IF you have to detour around something, or... have to triangulate from clear areas, like I do often, since the antique I use hates trees etc.

It's all about what you learn to use and how well you use it of course.

Doug

Like dfx said, I liked to use the map screen rather than the arrow screen. I had the topo maps, so I'd pick a landmark -- a stream or highway or rising terrain -- and look at the cache's relationship to that. I never found the arrow screen all that useful, even with the built-in compass.