An idea for a new Travel Bug action

tzipora

As I understand it, TBs and geocoins can't be logged through EarthCaches because back in the days when it was allowed, folks used them as a TB graveyard. The rule became no box, no TBs. I understand this reasoning. I sure wouldn't want a whole heap of missing TBs cluttering up an EarthCache of mine.

I have an idea to propose so we can solve that, I think. Maybe if they just had a "vist" action for TBs - and have that be the only option for ECs. Then folks could log their personal TBs and geocoins through caches with only one click, and the EC problem would no longer be an issue.

I mention this as a geocacher who enjoys doing EarthCaches, and as someone who has a personal TB - my dog. She is featured in all my EC photographs, because it's just so much easier to shoot her than it is to find a place to set the camera, set the timer, run into the shot (with the correct backdrop), and still have a decent picture. I also say it as someone who enjoys seeing pictures of pretty spectacular scenery - which is likely to be found at many ECs. Although I haven't had too much luck with my TBs in the wild, I'd love to see pics featuring them at ECs.

As for the personal TBs, I tried it last year and found it a little cumbersome, since you had to do at least 2 and sometimes 3 logs in order to log the cache, drop the bug, and then retrieve it. If it could be logged as a visit - in and out in one fell swoop, it would be easier for folks to do. The TB's log becomes a kind of travel journal which makes it easy to reminisce about adventures past.

I agree with this. I'm holding on to a travel bug at the moment for a pending trip in August (with owner permission) and in the meantime I'm bringing it cache to cache with me and taking pictures when there's something to take pictures of. I went and logged a note about where we've been including the cache numbers but didn't have time to add and remove the bug from each cache. A visiting button would be wonderful I think.

As I understand it, TBs and geocoins can't be logged through EarthCaches because back in the days when it was allowed, folks used them as a TB graveyard. The rule became no box, no TBs. I understand this reasoning. I sure wouldn't want a whole heap of missing TBs cluttering up an EarthCache of mine. ...........

Can't the owner of a cache mark TB missing that are not in the cache?

As I understand it, TBs and geocoins can't be logged through EarthCaches because back in the days when it was allowed, folks used them as a TB graveyard. The rule became no box, no TBs. I understand this reasoning. I sure wouldn't want a whole heap of missing TBs cluttering up an EarthCache of mine. ...........

They can now. I don't know if they could then.

I am probably missing something but how is this different from "dipping" a TB ?

say I come across your killer geocoin that I just have to have in my collection. Well I "drop" it in a virtual or an earthcache. Got the coin out there, eventually someone has to mark it missing and I got it on the floor of my closet. With dipping I like your coin and really don't want to leave it go, so instead I keep dropping it in the caches I visit and then retrieve it right away. Your coin is still in "play" and probably getting some killer miles.

It saves a step/log. Now you "drop" the bug with your log on the cache, and then "retrieve" with a log on the TB page. With the "viist" the two would be combined, it would be logged into the cache but never leave your inventory.

It saves a step/log. Now you "drop" the bug with your log on the cache, and then "retrieve" with a log on the TB page. With the "viist" the two would be combined, it would be logged into the cache but never leave your inventory.

That's one part of it. The other part is that you can't "dip" a TB into an EarthCache, ostensibly because there is no box to ceremonially dip it in.