confused as to how to create custom satellite imagery for garmin oregon using google earth

Hello,

I am currently trying to create some satellite view maps to use in my Garmin Oregon 450. I have seen online that people can use G-raster and google earth, but I have no idea on how to do this. I have been looking onlnie but I can only find how to improt images to G-raster. Anyone has experience wiht this?

Thanks everyone for their input. I am right now checking the mobile atlas Creator. The other websites assumed that Ialready have an image and only need to add coordinates, but sadly I don't have any images. I am hoping that Mobile Atlas Creator can provide these images. I wasnt sure if I had to screen shot google earth or what to do.

Thanks everyone for their input. I am right now checking the mobile atlas Creator. The other websites assumed that Ialready have an image and only need to add coordinates, but sadly I don't have any images. I am hoping that Mobile Atlas Creator can provide these images. I wasnt sure if I had to screen shot google earth or what to do.

For copyright and licensing reasons, you cannot directly use Google Earth imagery in a Garmin device. You can, however, use Google Earth as a tool for finding imagery or georeferencing imagery you already have.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/google_earth/...twork_link.html can provide you with a Garmin Custom Maps compatible KMZ using a variety of datasets for the area you are currently looking at in GE.

There's a utility called MAPC2MAPC (google it) that can take georeferenced images in a wide variety of formats and create a Garmin Custom Maps compliant KMZ. You say you don't have images, but there are a wide variety of sources for free imagery (at least in the US, there are also some but not as many for Canada.)

If you go to a place in Google Earth, you will see copyright info for the imagery - in many cases this can point you to a free source for aerial imagery. (Most states have imagery available at higher resolutions than the national USGS imagery.)

For example, Pennsylvania has 2-foot resolution imagery of the entire state and 1-foot for most of it. New York has 2-foot for the entire state, 1-foot for a good portion of it, and 6-inch resolution for a select few areas.

http://seamless.usgs.gov/ is a good place to obtain fully georeferenced imagery that can be easily turned into a KMZ with MAPC2MAPC (pre-georeferenced -> no need to manually calibrate the map.)