Stages of a multi

An abandoned car in a state forest for 10 years or so.. Or maybe a large hot water heater..

Would anyone have any issues with the coords being painted on the car or object in some way?

I would not make them immediately identifiable as coords - only cachers would know.

And could the waypoint be listed as a virtual stage so it would not interfere in proximity to a theoretical future cache nearby?

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it's been abandoned and it's in a state park. It's abandoned and you can't contact the owner, plus it's in a public place. Honestly, your best bet is to ask your reviewer. You can send the reviewer messages and simply ask. If he says sure, then go for it. I ask my reviewer about weird questions like that all the time.

Edited by bolesr

I'm quite certain the reviewer would not allow graffiti even on an abandoned vehicle in the woods. The rule of thumb many reviewers use is that if you remove the cache will the evidence of the cache remain behind? In this case I think the answer is yes so it would probably not be allowed.

There are numerous other ways of doing it ranging from a small container to a metal plant tag that don't require graffiti.

Do you have permission from the owner?

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

I agree with MM especially since it sounds like you are (and I'm exaggerating here) planning on spray painting the coords on the side of the vehicle. What method of coord placement are you thinking of using?

To answer your other question, your graffiti or other method of adding a clue at this location (tag, magnet, etc.) would count as a "Stage of a Multicache" that must be at least 528 feet from any other cache or protected waypoint. If you place anything in the environment, including paint or sharpie markings, it's not a "virtual clue."

If you want to be kinder to the environment plus get your multicache published in close proximity to other caches, use a true virtual clue based upon information already in the environment. These can be coded as "Reference Point" or "Question to Answer" waypoints. For the old car, is there a serial number on any of the parts? Could the visitor count something (cylinders, bolts)? These can serve as virtual clues.

And could the waypoint be listed as a virtual stage so it would not interfere in proximity to a theoretical future cache nearby?

I think once you place something at the coordinates, even if it's just writing numbers on an existing object, it then becomes a physical waypoint and is subject to proximity guidelines.

If you're talking an abandoned car, is there anything that could be counted...number of seats..numbers on the speedometer, number of headlights, etc...that the cacher could use. As long as they're just counting objects or getting information from the car, it can be listed as a virtual stage.

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on using craft paint and spray painting a clear coat overtop, but a magnetic keyholder is what I'll probably use. I didn't think the park rangers or anyone would object to a large piece of garbage to be altered. A sign post or tree would definitely be out, but a 85 mustang 5.0 that's been sitting for years doesn't seem bad to me. I would use existing numerical info on the car, but I just want it to be as simple as possible without the cacher having to bring any paperwork.

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on using craft paint and spray painting a clear coat overtop, but a magnetic keyholder is what I'll probably use. I didn't think the park rangers or anyone would object to a large piece of garbage to be altered. A sign post or tree would definitely be out, but a 85 mustang 5.0 that's been sitting for years doesn't seem bad to me. I would use existing numerical info on the car, but I just want it to be as simple as possible without the cacher having to bring any paperwork.

Get one of those magnetic vent covers, cut out a small square and put the coords on it with a Sharpie

I didn't think the park rangers or anyone would object to a large piece of garbage to be altered. A sign post or tree would definitely be out, but a 85 mustang 5.0 that's been sitting for years doesn't seem bad to me. I

ah, but we hikers love those old clunkers! They are part of the landscape/scenery. Do NOT spray paint them!

I've had several keyholders go missing, so I'm looking for something more permanent. I previously found an antique refrigerator in the woods and pulled the chrome Frigidare emblem off, attached it to a painted keyholder, but when I went to place it back I did some research and found that it was private property. Eventually I found an old car in the woods somewhere else and used it on that, but it went missing.. I replaced it with a tiny lock'n'lock but then the entire car went missing.. Other keyholders have simply vanished.

In this instance, oddly I had been looking for the '78 Buick Regal I left in the woods back in '89 when I discovered the Mustang. I had a sand rail dune buggy that I bought off of a friend of mine who had taken a VW beetle and some fencing material and put it together with his mig welder with a couple of 33" truck tires on the back. The engine was only bolted to the tranny and bounced around a bit. I ran it into a small pine and got the front end stuck up in the air. It didn't have reverse, so I had to bring the Buick back there to pull it out. After I hooked it up to trailer hitch the motor went in the Buick. I drove the dune buggy out to the street and ran into someone I knew from high school who was cooincidentally driving a VW beetle and thought it was cool. I tailgated him the few miles to my house, but when I went back a few days later for the Buick, the roof was crushed and motorcyclists had been running over it and doing jumps off of it. I had only paid $300 for it and got 6 months out of it, so I wasn't too upset. The area normally was flooded, but due to a drought it was dry. There was absolutely no way that a tow truck could retrieve it if they wanted to. I was concerned about environmental damage, but it appears it was not in the state park anyway,but in the newer development nearby and that they drained the wetlands and there is a $500K house in it's place. I still have the title though. :rolleyes:

If it was a discarded water heater, or large abandoned propane tank, would it still be vandalism?