Just received my Garmin oregon 450t an need some assistance.

I just received my Garmin Oregon 450 after it was recommended by many people here as being one of the better GPS for Geocaching. My first impression is that I have a lot to learn and the book / PC manual is not really helpful.

The first problem I am having is that I am having difficulty calibrating the compass. In fact I've only been able to get it to calibrate once out of twenty times trying. I flip the thing, spin the thing, etc., following the directions but it almost always ends in "Calibration Failed." If this is something that needs to be done after battery changes, I can see how it could be a real pain in the butt.

The second question I had is about maps. I'm not really impressed with the Basemap on the unit and forgot how Ala Carte Garmin is when I purschased this unit. I already have the Garmin Blue Chart Americas Series and City Navigator 8 that I purchased for my original Garmin. Since I travel a lot, and plan to use this unit as a back up when boating, I'd like to load them onto the Oregon as well. I believe someone here stated that it could be done but did not provide specifics. What do I need to do to make this work?

So I think that I have streets and waters covered. Are there any other maps that you would recommend that would benefit a Geocacher and what would be the best place to obtain these maps? I cannot believe how expensive Garmin software has become. For what I paid for this unit, you think they could give a little something. (Rant off.)

Anyway, I can't believe how friendly this board is. Everyone here has provided such great information in the past and I am sure that I'll love this unit once I figure it out and get it set up. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Edited by billinan

gpsfiledepot.com for free 24k topos

It's possible to get routable street maps based on OSM data, but these can have severe errors in some areas

Garmin BirdsEye isn't too expensive, you can also load arbitrary raster data in with the Garmin Custom Maps function. There are tools to greatly ease this workflow for some types of data such as MAPC2MAPC (look around in Garmin's developer forums.)

For calibrating the compass, don't spin it too fast (in fact, do it slowly and steadily). And make sure you're away from buildings or metallic objects when you do it (about 25 ft should be fine). Don't try to calibrate from inside your car, for example.

Oh and the last step is the one I can't seem to get the hang of. you know the flipping part.

I can't install my current maps using Garmin's Mapsource??

No. I don't think. They're licensed for use on just one device, and if you buy a new device, you have to buy another license, which costs as much as a new copy, so you might as well get the latest version. Note that this is the case for City Navigator maps, I'm not sure about the other one you mentioned.

For calibrating the compass, don't spin it too fast (in fact, do it slowly and steadily). And make sure you're away from buildings or metallic objects when you do it (about 25 ft should be fine). Don't try to calibrate from inside your car, for example.

Oh and the last step is the one I can't seem to get the hang of. you know the flipping part.

I figured youtube will come to the rescue, and I'm right...

Entropy512 has the map questions answered. I use OSM (packaged by http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php) for street maps.

You took the words right out of my... this is the internet so I guess not mouth, so keyboard.

On my 550 it shows a graphic what to do.

My Oregon 450 does that too

I just received my Garmin Oregon 450t after it was recommended by many people here as being one of the better GPS for Geocaching. My first impression is that I have a lot to learn and the book / PC manual is not really helpful.

The first problem I am having is that I am having difficulty calibrating the compass. In fact I've only been able to get it to calibrate once out of twenty times trying. I flip the thing, spin the thing, etc., following the directions but it almost always ends in "Calibration Failed." If this is something that needs to be done after battery changes, I can see how it could be a real pain in the butt.

The second question I had is about maps. I'm not really impressed with the Basemap on the unit and forgot how Ala Carte Garmin is when I purschased this unit. I already have the Garmin Blue Chart Americas Series and City Navigator 8 that I purchased for my original Garmin. Since I travel a lot, and plan to use this unit as a back up when boating, I'd like to load them onto the Oregon as well. I believe someone here stated that it could be done but did not provide specifics. What do I need to do to make this work?

So I think that I have streets and waters covered. Are there any other maps that you would recommend that would benefit a Geocacher and what would be the best place to obtain these maps? I cannot believe how expensive Garmin software has become. For what I paid for this unit, you think they could give a little something. (Rant off.)

Anyway, I can't believe how friendly this board is. Everyone here has provided such great information in the past and I am sure that I'll love this unit once I figure it out and get it set up. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Look at what I've bolded. Either you're using topographical maps instead of the basemap, or you don't have an Oregon 450t (the "t" means it comes with topographical maps.) Please specify. If they are both true, then select Options -> Map -> Map Information (Select Map) -> [insert the name of the topo maps here, they should be the only thing other than "World DEM Basemap" unless you've added maps, and it should say "disabled"] -> enable

You will now have your topo maps enabled if they were already on the GPS.