Virtual Caches*

kyler123

Guidelines that Apply to Grandfathered Cache Types

Virtual Caches and Webcam Caches

These are special categories of caches that ask the seeker to find a pre-existing item to log. We are no longer accepting new Virtual Caches or Webcam Caches. Caches which existed before November 2005 have been allowed to remain as grandfathered caches.

but they are still out there ?

Virtuals don't have containers so more then likely the object of the virtual is still in place (of course I'm ignoring the sneakers in the woods for this example). There are many virtuals that are still around- and they will be as long as they are maintained.

Maybe your idea for a virtual could be made into a Waymark or modified for a container.

i think she should bring them back

I believe they were removed because too many people were arm chair logging them, and it was easy to get away with because you could often google the answers. Not really something they'll be bringing back until the world stops caring about numbers. If you have a good idea for a virtual, go to Waymarking. You can place a virtual there, and your geocaching membership will work there too.

Edited by ADTCacheur

Virtual Cache = Waymark.

So if you can put a container there or add it to Waymarking.com

Keep in mind many things that would be waymarks/virtuals would not be appropriate for a cache (statues, bridges, memorials, historical buildings) but you might be able to place something reasonably close so that in finding the cache they see the sight you wanted them to see. Heck, if you can, put the cache somewhere nearby AND waymark the location too. :laughing:

Virtual Cache = Waymark.

So if you can put a container there or add it to Waymarking.com

Keep in mind many things that would be waymarks/virtuals would not be appropriate for a cache (statues, bridges, memorials, historical buildings) but you might be able to place something reasonably close so that in finding the cache they see the sight you wanted them to see. Heck, if you can, put the cache somewhere nearby AND waymark the location too. :)

Although I think that virtual caches and waymarks are distinct, that is another topic. As was mentioned before, if you want to bring people to a particular location that is not suited for a cache, it might be best to make the cache a multi or Wherigo -- something that uses a location to provide information that directs you to a physical container.