Ramapo/Ringwood Trail Hikes

wjgrun

Inspired by Walkin' Ed's personal geocoin that shows just a few short trails (Appalachian, Long Path, etc) that he's hiked, I am planning to do some longer hikes of more well-known named trails in the area, starting in the Ramapo Valley County Reservation, Ringwood State Park, and Ramapo Mountain State Forest parks area.

Halifax

Schuber

Hoeferlin Memorial

Cannonball

Cooper Union

etc

Since I have found 99.3% of the caches in these parks, my hikes are primarily for the journey - however, I would be more than happy to be accompanied by anyone who wants to find some of the many caches along the way. My goal is to hike the trails from end-to-end in a single hike (I've already hiked most of them in their entirety, but in pieces over many hikes).

I plan to start with Halifax or Schuber. Both are approximately 6.5 miles in length and have parking available close to each trail head. I plan to hike back to my starting location (the main lot for Ramapo Valley County Reservation on Route 202), either by the same trail or possibly alternates. Since there is parking near both ends, you could just do the trail one-way if you can arrange for transportation back to the other trail head.

If anyone is interested in joining me for any of these hikes, let me know! I live close to Ramapo and am self-underemployed, so my schedule is fairly flexible (weekday or weekend). Regardless of the day, due to the warm weather and length of the hikes, I would want to start early in the day (by 7:30-8:00am).

Bill

Just this past Sunday, a group of us went out bike caching and due to bike events and training and all that there hasn't been a lot of hiking, and two of the people who shall remain nameless were actually whining about the lack of hiking, and they were looking for a hike outing, so I said , Oh, maybe someone will put something together. So if you did it Sunrise style I know a couple of people who would like to come. I have only limited time and for me it is usually Sunday AM--

Edited by Packanack

Inspired by Walkin' Ed's personal geocoin that shows just a few short trails (Appalachian, Long Path, etc) that he's hiked, I am planning to do some longer hikes of more well-known named trails in the area, starting in the Ramapo Valley County Reservation, Ringwood State Park, and Ramapo Mountain State Forest parks area.

Halifax

Schuber

Hoeferlin Memorial

Cannonball

Cooper Union

etc

Since I have found 99.3% of the caches in these parks, my hikes are primarily for the journey - however, I would be more than happy to be accompanied by anyone who wants to find some of the many caches along the way. My goal is to hike the trails from end-to-end in a single hike (I've already hiked most of them in their entirety, but in pieces over many hikes).

I plan to start with Halifax or Schuber. Both are approximately 6.5 miles in length and have parking available close to each trail head. I plan to hike back to my starting location (the main lot for Ramapo Valley County Reservation on Route 202), either by the same trail or possibly alternates. Since there is parking near both ends, you could just do the trail one-way if you can arrange for transportation back to the other trail head.

If anyone is interested in joining me for any of these hikes, let me know! I live close to Ramapo and am self-underemployed, so my schedule is fairly flexible (weekday or weekend). Regardless of the day, due to the warm weather and length of the hikes, I would want to start early in the day (by 7:30-8:00am).

Bill

I may be interested if we do maybe 3 or 4 of those in one day :)

Honestly, I was surprised to actually get some interest for these hikes. Based on the emails I got, it seems like Sunday may be the best day for most people. Unfortunately this Sunday is no good for me. I am available tomorrow (Saturday June 5) and am trying to decide on a hike. If anyone wants to hike one of these (Halifax?) trails tomorrow (7:30am?), let me know asap. If I don't hear from anyone, maybe I'll hike somewhere else (Harriman?).

Sunday the 20th (Father's Day) is no good for me either, so I'm thinking I'll post a Sunrise Stepoff to do the Schuber trail on Sunday 6/13 (again, my schedule is fairly flexible, so pipe up if there are other days that are better for you! I can do weekdays or Sat 6/12 or Sat 6/19).

Halifax & Schuber trails are both about 6.5 miles in length. I will leave from the main Ramapo Route 202 lot and will be hiking round-trip (about 13 miles), but if you can arrange a ride, you can do the one-way hike. Both ends have parking nearby, however the Skylands Manor end of the Halifax trail has a parking/entrance fee ($5?) on weekends.

Bill