Does this meet the Guidelines?

Suppose you had a geocaching association whose role was to promote the sport of geocaching, a non-profit organisation run by volunteers. Suppose they were holding their AGM at a hired venue and they were asking for a donation to cover the hire of the hall and for tea and biscuits. Should a geocaching association be able to run their AGM as an event cache (with their logo displayed in the description)?

Some might reach for the rule book and might argue that they were pushing "political or social agendas" and were "intent [on] soliciting customers or generating commercial gain", not forgetting that "associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions".

I am curious about what other people think about this?

Life is too short for you to be worried about all this stuff. They are promoting geocaching and getting peopled engaged with the great outdoors and enjoying themselves. They can do whatever they like as far as I am concerned, just let the get on with it.

John

They're getting together to discuss Geocaching.

It seems a good way for the local caching group to encourage other local cachers to the AGM (presumably they don't have to join the local group...)

I think 'donations' are allowed, towards costs, of events.

As such, I don't have a problem with it...

(Unless there's more to it. :blink: )

The event cache type was created for geocacher meetings, and from the beginning many of these were to organize groups. As long as joining or being a member of the group is not a requirement to attend the event, there's no issue re agenda.

Geocaching association logos may appear on listings.

Events may charge fees to off-set the costs of the gathering, but not to make a profit.

Edited by palmetto

Lets look at Some mega events? I know a couple that charge a fee to enter.

Oh and this may be the event in Question- Geocaching NSW 2010 AGM by Geocaching NSW (GC29JTT) and if one was to look at the Agenda -

'The AGM will begin at 10.30 am sharp, with reports from the President, Treasurer and Membership Officer. Please note, only Geocaching NSW members may attend the AGM. Non-members are welcome to join the event at the conclusion of the AGM (around 11.30 am).'

This reads to me that the AGM is seperate to the event which is open to all.

Around these parts we have several Geo orgs. that post events and from time to time will ask for a donation if needed (renting picnic pavillions, camp sites, etc).

I don't think that is a no-no.

IF it was something like "Johnny's Cool Org" that promotes all things cool not just geocaching, charging a fee that would be a different story.

No, I don't think this should have been published AS IT IS CURRENTLY WRITTEN. Events should be all-inclusive. Since they're not allowing anyone into their general meeting except existing members, that should have been completely excluded from the event text. They don't get to use GC webspace to advertise their private meeting. Only the later function that's open to everyone should be allowed on the page.

I guess I read it slightly differently. The AGM portion seems to be informative without being all that promotional. Kind of like, "yes, there will be folks there a bit earlier talking about club business". It seems that excluding that information would smack a bit of exclusivity (e.g. "secret meetings in smoke filled rooms").

I do take exception with this portion though :unsure:

no flip-flops

The AGM will begin at 10.30 am sharp, with reports from the President, Treasurer and Membership Officer. Please note, only Geocaching NSW members may attend the AGM. Non-members are welcome to join the event at the conclusion of the AGM (around 11.30 am).

The event should start at 11:30, with the AGM taking place first.

But it really isn't that big a deal. Is it that hard to join the NSW Geocaching org anyway?

Then you can be privy to the second hand smoke from the cigars.

It's also possible the page was edited after it was published. :)

Edited by wimseyguy

But it really isn't that big a deal. Is it that hard to join the NSW Geocaching org anyway?

Then you can be privy to the second hand smoke from the cigars.

Membership of the association is a one-off fee of $25 for individuals and $40 for families or teams.

By becoming a member of Geocaching NSW you are helping support the growth of geocaching in our state.

Funds raised by the association will be used in the production of materials promoting geocaching including the website, provide support and assistance to geocachers, venue hire, assist in discussions with landowners and other interested bodies, and represent the geocaching community in NSW.

As a member you will receive an official Geocaching NSW geocoin and pin set and discounts on any future Geocaching NSW geocoins and products.

This is from their membership page. I dont know about it being hard, but you get a special pin to show you are a member. Kinda sounds like a secret society to me. :):lol::D